“Imagine” by John Lennon - Overrated or deservedly praised?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Imagine is John Lennon’s most well known song, even including his Beatles songs. Does it deserve the praise or is overrated?

willwin and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Deserves every bit of praise

DavidD, RAZORMADE, lightbulb and 28 others like this.
  3. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Overrated like the majority of Beatles/Post Beatles material

**ducks**

4. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Overrated. He made better songs in his solo career.

5. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Hindsight only enhances the hokiness and hypocrisy of the tune.

6. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

It is an outstanding song.

As time goes on, it might have the same problem that Freebird, Stairway, and other great tunes have in that it becomes a bit of a cliche.

7. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Pandering to the sentiments of the '70s... he wrote far better songs...

8. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Not sure it's totally rated high, a lot of people don't like it, it's just his most played solo song.

joy stinson likes this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Certainly a worthwhile and memorable song but I go with over rated. It is a pleasant but fairly pedestrian melody. It is a nice concept.

As mellow solo Beatle tunes go, it is not 10% of the song that Yesterday is IMO - either melodically, harmonically, lyrically or as an arrangement.

Even on the Imagine album, I place it only around the middle of the pack, preferring Jealous Guy, Oh My Love, How and Oh Yoko

10. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

under-rated

oboogie, DavidD and Cpt. Crunch like this.
  11. Not really. A video of him enjoying his 72 acre estate whilst singing about giving up possessions did that just fine in 1971.

12. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I thought you meant the album. Same answer.
    Great song. Great album.

theMess, pantofis, Graham and 14 others like this.
  13. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Well he was just saying to imagine it, not actually do it. :cool:

14. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

Given this forum's (understandable) constraints on discussing religion and politics, I'm going to avoid going there.

Compared to some of the intellectual greats of our time, I look at John Lennon as a guy that read the dust cover of a book and thought he understood the book itself. I find "Imagine" to be an example of shallow thinking. I don't mind that others like it or find solace in it, but I am not impressed at all with the lyrics of "Imagine". It DID appeal to me as a 13 year old, because I bought the single, but by the time I was 23, the flaws in it from the first lines to the end were obvious to me.

I do like the music and the arrangement of it, though. And if it comes on the radio and I've not heard it in a few months, I'll probably listen to it again.

JcS

15. brianplowe

brianplowe Forum Resident

In terms of arrangement (verse, chorus, bridge) the song is perfect.

joy stinson, theMess, JannL and 2 others like this.
  16. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Bingo. Massively overrated as a song and the laughable lyrics. It's naivety is of its time but its hypocrisy is timeless (see: any celebrity or poltician).

17. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

You joke, but I think that is actually the point of the song. Not that he was saying "don't actually do it." But that he was saying "I know these all sound like a pipe dream, and I am just as guilty as everyone else. But wouldn't it be nice if... ? Imagine if... ?" That's all. But of course in today's "gotcha" climate of social media debate, everyone wants to jump all over him as a fraud and hypocrite. In this performance, in fact, he sings a variation of the lyric "imagine no possessions" where he says "I wonder if WE can" (Neil Young varied it again with "I wonder if I can" in a tribute performance).

18. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

That is the most perfect summation of Lennon I've ever read. For real. Dead on.

The rest of your post I agree with 100%, too. Lennon and his schtick and his message (from his solo years...I've got ZERO problem with his Beatles stuff) appealed a LOT more to me when I was a teenager than it did once I grew up.

19. Agreed!

20. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I think it's overrated. I don't hate it or anything, I just think he wrote many better songs. It's nothing special musically, and I don't think the lyrics are as great as people say they are. It's not because I think they're hypocritical (the song is called "Imagine" for a reason), but I also don't think they say all that much.

21. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I think Lennon often wrote of aspirations that he knew he'd never fulfill. The song is more a question than a call to action.

On its technical merits, and if you can separate from the fact that you've heard it 10 billion times, I think it's near perfect. I began to appreciate it even more once I started playing it. There can be real beauty in simplicity.

owlshead, theMess, oboogie and 21 others like this.
  22. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

It's a great song. Maybe a little overrated. The Imagine album is a bit overrated to me, though it's still better than most of his solo work.

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

what does over-rated or under-rated mean anyway?
    Some doesn t like Imagine for various reasons. Thats fine.
    Many people love the song for various reasons.
    Thats fine
    Me
    I love the song and I love the lyrics
    Some here have called the melody pedestrian. My goodness-try and write an Universal anthem and see how easy it is
    The words are very simple but really not. It s just a dream. Hypocritical perhaps but not really
    Imo one of the best and most meaningful song ever written.
    So I don t find it over-rated
    I have enjoyed it since it came out and will keep on doin so until I die

24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

hey man, he was just "imagining" giving up his possessions. can you dig??

25. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Exactly, and that's the point - the song title and message is "Imagine". It's shocking that so many people disregard this, and criticize the song as it's a hyper - hypocritical political or social anthem.

cdnostalgia, theMess, BDC and 17 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.