Improve my system, 7k budget

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TerpStation, Dec 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

Phono stage would make a big difference

TerpStation likes this.
  2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

To me, speakers are the most "personal" decision in a system. Everyone has their own idea of what's right. If I were looking for new ones in your price range, I'd audition models from:

Bowers & Wilkins
    Dynaudio
    Harbeth
    Joseph Audio
    KEF
    ProAc
    Revel
    Spendor

These are not all "equal", but represent a range of quality house sounds. If I just wanted to make things easier on myself, I'd buy the Joseph Audio Profile.

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

phono pre and cartridge are holding your sound back.
    sutherland 20 20 phonostage w lps -2500
    audio technica art9xa phono cartridge 1100 w at discount
    this will give you near world class vinyl sound.
    your amp and speakers are very good but are possibly poor synergy, each is somewhat forgiving sounding.
    the at cart will give you excellent color, detail, sound stage, refinement and liven things up.
    this is truly a source first upgrade that will give your system a firm foundation.
    upgrading speakers will not pay off as well with your current cartridge and preamp.
    i would target speakers next, something like the spendor d7.2 would match your amp nicely.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  4. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Koetsu Black Goldline and the above mentioned JC3+ or the PS Audio Stellar phonostage.

TerpStation likes this.
  5. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

99% of how a system sounds is about speakers and room setup/acoustics. Audible differences b/w modern day solid state amps are sooooo small (so long as not over-driven) that there is considerable debate about whether they are even detectable under blinded conditions. ..And that goes double for cables, late generation cd-players, etc... ...So if you want to make a big difference, think speakers and room treatments.

Edit. ..Sorry I somehow missed that you have a Turntable. I thought your front-end was primarily digital. ..So this changes my answer somewhat. ..I would probably upgrade to a Direct-drive TT. Every belt-drive table I've listened to, incl. many VPI's, struggle with holding a steady speed, and therefore pitch. ..Do you find piano notes waver? Violin? etc... If so, and this bothers you, then consider a DD table. ..Your budget would easily cover the cost of a Technics SL1200G.

TerpStation likes this.
  6. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone." Thread Starter

Yes, the Arcam was an improvement on the hint 6 phono. I ran it through the hint 6 phon a while back so my memory was fuzzy on the details but it was clear that the arcam was superior. I also used to run an Ifi Ifono phono pre. That one was better than the Arcam....but sadly it broke after a short time...

7. TerpStation

The Tektons were much more detailed and dynamic. However, they were also bass deficient so i ran them with a subwoofer. Overall, the sound of the tritons is just more pleasing and musical to me, better imaging too with the tritons....also, the tektons did produce some fatigue after a while...but make no mistake, i really liked them and used them for a long time. (sold them a few months ago). Further, make no mistake that i do not love the Triton Twos....someone had them on audiogon for 1,100 bucks or something so i bought them on a whim one morning. They are good speakers, but certainly not speakers i get excited about listening to. My "dream" speaker is the Joseph Audio Perspective 2....but they are 15k. Heard them at an audio fest last year and was amazed at how natural they sound...and love how understated they are in appearance.

8. TerpStation

The only wavering i have heard on piano notes comes from certain Blue Note 80 releases :). But no, have not heard any speed issues with the VPI.

9. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I think if if you're planning to move in the near future, I would wait on speakers. Doesn't mean you have to spend $7k right now either. I like the idea of improving your phono stage and cart. Small items, easy to transport when you move. But speakers, I'd likely wait on those.

AllenR, OC Zed and TerpStation like this.
  10. TerpStation

As i stated above, my "dream" speaker is the Joseph Perspective 2. (but 15k is out of the budget). I also have heard the Revel performaBe series and thought they were outstanding...i have not heard the Joseph Profile, i wonder how close they get to the perspective.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  11. TerpStation

I appreciate the specific advice. I have had my eye on a sutherland for a while. Will investigate the art9xa....Any thoughts on the art 9xi? I see that one too available.

12. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

If possible, give a listen to Klipsch Cornwall IIIs or IV's. I've had Spica, PSB, Vandersteen 3A Sigs, and Paradigm S8v2 Sigs. ..My Klipsch Cornwalls bested them all by a sig. margin. ..And don't believe the nonsense about horn speakers "hooting", etc.. .Not true. The highs sound effortless and smooth. Plus, 10watts of power is about all you need to bring a visit from the police.

13. TerpStation

While i have never heard the Cornwalls, i really dug the various JBL horns i heard at the Hermon store in nyc. No bias against horns here. I like all kinds of speakers and try and appreciate what they do best.

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

...which could be nothing like in a real room, so whatever you buy a reasonable return policy is highly desirable.
    - You mention moving; I'd certainly be interested in trying room correction which your Parasound has in/outs to accomodate...but the only thing I see for that is Dirac Series : DDRC-24 which would entail A/D-D/A.
    - I'd still surely want to get REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software and their UMIK to see what my response is. If not the DSP piece, a high quality parametric might be in order.
    - Your Tritons have built-in subs, and your profile lists an SVS SB-2000, AND your Parasound has in/outs and crossover functions. How is all this connected and with what crossovers settings?

That's all about that bass, to quote Meghan Trainor. If you're not happy with the upper frequencies, are the Perspective 2 never for sale used? If not I'd certainly try model down (the Profile I guess?) but again with a reasonable return policy. Or if you can find used, the Perspective predecessor whatever that is. Other speakers I like at that price range well I'm normally a tower guy but always like Magico, the standmount A1 is around your price. The tower A3 maybe so if used. Revel I've only heard the $2k tower, nice, neutral, my friend designed the drive units. Revel strives to be neutral pretty successfully. At less money one system I listen to has Focal 936, those are very very nice indeed. And paired well with an SVS SB-2000 Pro even though the sub isn't really necessary.

TerpStation likes this.
  15. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I agree, there’s no way you’re having speed stability issues with that 20lb platter when it’s in motion. That’s a hoot! BTW, do use and change the bearing grease for the spindle every 10 months or so and inspect the bearing ball for wear. Mine still looks and runs like new going on three years.

The guy in the video clip can tell you all about Koetsus and VPI Prime compatibility. I can vouch. I believe he runs a Herron phono stage and loves it. The guys here swear by their Sutherland 20/20s also which get rave reviews so you have some solid choices to pick from.

16. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I'm a Joseph dealer.....absolutely love Jeff's speakers. As good as the Perspective2s are (and they are fantastic), I do think you should consider the Profiles. I'm not sure if Jeff has a dealer in your neck of the woods (I can check with him for you if you would like), but the Profiles really are quire impressive. There's a recent thread here on Hoffman about them in case you have not seen it.

17. GoldprintAudio

Forgot to mention, I'm also a Parasound dealer and the HINT6 is a good combo with the Profiles.

18. TerpStation

Yes, ask him if there is a dealer in Portland, OR or near. Also, how do you compare the Pulsar, stand mount, to the Profile?

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  19. TerpStation

The SVS sub is currently not connected. No need with the Triton 2s. I was using the subwoofer with the Tekton only but they are gone.

20. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

I have been eyeing up a pair of Penn dragons for quite some time ever since I heard the tekton moab's at Rocky Mountain 19 they blew me away best sound of the show. (They might actually fit your needs and they already fit your budget if you can get over the fact that they're massive)

TerpStation likes this.
  21. Wattie66

Wattie66 Well-Known Member

Another vote for phonostage and cartridge from me. I'd suggest that since these are the two components still at what might be called hi-fi entry level (i.e. $600-700 price level), and the rest of your system is all definitely in the 'proper hi-fi' range (i.e. $2500-4000), then if you upgrade TT, amp or speakers the Arcam and Hana will still hold your system back. To me your TT, amp and speakers deserve equivalent quality in terms of phonostage and cartridge - so at least $2k on the phonostage and $1k on the cartridge. I know this isn't spending $7k, but I think it would certainly make the most difference in terms of improvement for $ spent.

TerpStation likes this.
  22. GoldprintAudio

Sending you a quick PM.

TerpStation likes this.
  23. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

those Triton speakers? extremely analytical garbage was my impressions

get better speakers.
    for that budget, Aerial speakers would be top of the list

24. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Lehmann Audio Decade .. $2,000. A better phono is a must for your system.

Now you have $5k for new amp/preamp/integrated amp.

How about a $3500 RP-5 preamp and use the amp you have now? Or the $3000 Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum?

Actually you could do a RP-1 and ST-100 I think.

No I'm not a salesman for Rogue just a very satisfied customer.

TerpStation likes this.
  25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Right now I'm listening to Focal 936/SR900/CC900-no need either. But it adds a kind of solidity which is really nice...and the level control by app is a lovely on-the-fly adjustment capability. *if* your bass response is not optimum and you want to leave your speakers where they are, you could try the SVS as a fill-in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.