In praise of the Philips TDA1541/A/S1/S2 chips.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SKATTERBRANE, Apr 14, 2018.

1. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Had this player in 1986. I thought the sound thin. Got me back into turntables, the first was a Sota Saphire.
    Then tried my laserdisc with one bit mash and soon heard what better digital sound can be. Then got a Cal audio labs dx -1, a Meridian, Musical fidelity then Esoteric sa 50. Now im at a point where digital and analog both are similar and great. John M.

2. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Got this one out of my closet again and hooked it up, also has the TDA1541 on board.

[​IMG]
    All alu machined drawer, no nasty rattling plastics in site!

[​IMG]

phase3, jonwoody, nosliw and 8 others like this.
  3. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

Beautiful! Bet it sounds great :edthumbs:

bever70 likes this.
  4. bever70

Well I was a bit sceptical towards this chip as it is getting pretty old. I hooked it up to see what it could do and I must say it sounds different from my bel canto dac3 and/or cocktailaudio ess sabre. More bass and with some recordings/masters it sounds less harsh, especially evident on more recent ac/dc remasters. I don't like these, but on this cd player they definitely sound 'better' at loud volumes (less harsh). Soundstage is as big as the other dacs I mentioned.
    Oh and the way that drawer closes in complete silence with just a slight touch of your finger is still magical :love:

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I hear you. I am so tired of those sub-10 lbs CDP's with plastic CD-tray made in you-know-where ...

nick99nack and bever70 like this.
  6. coopmv

:edthumbs:

bever70 likes this.
  7. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

Hasn‘t this CDP a dedicated connector which makes it a bit awkward to hook it up to non-Bang systems?

8. bever70

Yes it has a 5 pin din connector (actually 7 pin din, but you can unscrew 2 of those little pins, these 2 extra pins are just there to allow this cdp to be remote controlled through the b&o amp). I just use a 5 pin din female to 2 RCA adapter to hook it up to any other pre-amp.

This way no remote control of course but I don't need that for cd-listening as I only listen through entire albums with cd's. Control on the cdp is pretty simple but just what you need for cd-album-listening : open the tray, put in the cd, close it with a slight touch (or press play on the right of the front panel) and the magic happens ;). Only other control possible on the front panel is to skip to the next track.

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  9. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Not seen any love here, yet, for the Cambridge Audio CD3. Ugly as sin, with ergonomics only it's mother could love, it nevertheless uses no fewer than four TDA1541A chips (on the left) in a special laddered configuration. I'm hanging on to mine.

[​IMG]

Bananas&blow, phase3, Bliesc and 5 others like this.
  10. coopmv

How old is your Cambridge Audio CD3? I have never considered the brand ...

11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Love that it has a pre-emphasis display :)

Bananas&blow and jusbe like this.
  12. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

I think it first arrived in the late 80s? Posisbly around '88, but that might not be completely right. There's lots of love for them now, of course (translation via the tab bottom right, if you need it).

[​IMG]

Took some shots when I thought of selling mine some years ago. Then woke up from my nightmare, smacked my head and promptly bought another one!

13. coopmv

Back in the late 80's, Cambridge Audio probably still made its components in the UK ...

14. c-eling

Very industrial looking, I love it!

jusbe likes this.
  15. coopmv

You cannot find modestly priced components like this nowadays ...

jusbe likes this.
  16. c-eling

:laugh:
    No kidding, i'm jealous!

17. coopmv

How about this Yamaha CD1, circa 1983? It tips the scales at over 30 lbs and a friend of mine has been waiting to have it repair for the last 5 years ...

[​IMG]

nick99nack and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

:drool:
    That's the sexiest Swing-Arm I've ever seen, wow!

19. thekingpin

thekingpin Forum Resident

I love the 1541! I loved my Naim CD3 and CD2 (CD 2 less) and still have a Marantz CD74, Rotel 855, B&O CD-X (1540, I believe), and MF Digilog. All has a dollop of the analogue-ness we all look for in digital. Having said that, I do want to try some Schiit, though, just to see what’s up.

phase3 and bever70 like this.
  20. coopmv

Here is another photo with that slide-out keyboard. It is really one of a kind CDP ...

[​IMG]

jusbe, c-eling and kevinsinnott like this.
  21. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident Thread Starter

Don't think that Yamaha has a TDA1541

22. coopmv

It may have a Sony equivalent chip. Sony and Philips were the co-inventors of CD ...

23. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I love the TDA1541 players! I'm basically an addict. Off the top of my head I own the following players with it:

Magnavox CDB 460
    Magnavox CDB 560
    Magnavox CDB 650
    Magnavox CDB 465
    Magnavox CDB 582
    Magnavox CDB 472

Sony CDP-207esd
    Sony CDP-750
    Sony CDP-505esd

(The CDP-207esd, CDP-750 and CDP-68 were all basically the same player, very small variations, mainly cosmetic)

The one that I've put the most mileage on is the CDB 582, followed closely by the CDB 650 and CDP 207esd.

Does anyone know what the first machine to have the TDA1541 was? The oldest one I have is the CDB 460 with a date of August 1986.

phase3, c-eling and kevinsinnott like this.
  24. coopmv

Any current production CDP still using this Philips chip or its successor?

25. Antonio Afonso

Antonio Afonso Active Member

Signed up here to say that I am also not able to stop buying CD players with the Philips TDA1541A chip. For more than 12 years I have been collecting this kind of gadgets, after having accidentally discovered that a modest Marantz CD50 (without any modification) sounded better than a player who had cost me 5K!
    Later I discovered that these machines could be modified and positioned at an unbeatable level, for many of the new players with the new Delta-Sigma chips.

Bananas&blow, phase3 and jusbe like this.