"IN SEARCH OF..." - T.V. Series, 1977-1982

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Great series. Love it.

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be spinning some of these ISO episodes tonight.

Happy Friday Hoffmanites!

:cheers:

hi_watt, jbmcb, BeatleJWOL and 8 others like this.
  3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Enjoy! maybe next you could watch Weird or What?

[​IMG]

altaeria likes this.
  4. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

“Missing feet”

5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I have compacted version.. just two dvd case and dvds are piled onto each other..
    I watched majority of it the rest i skipped..

6. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Funny, I don't remember anything about the show other than that amazing theme song and narration. My parents used to watch it all the time

jbmcb, cowboy72 and beccabear67 like this.
  7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I think I'd almost buy a 7"er of that original theme music; massive flashback hearing it...

8. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I mentioned this up thread, I think, but there was a soundtrack LP which included the theme. I don't know how easy it is to find these days. I have a set of mp3s ripped from a vinyl copy by someone who uploaded it online.

cowboy72 and beccabear67 like this.
  9. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

Not me. I was fully invested as a kid who was all of seven when it started to air. :D

hi_watt, cowboy72, Scowl and 2 others like this.
  10. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I was 9 when the show premiered so I was in the perfect demographic to be both fascinated and creeped out by the episodes.

11. SmallDarkCloud

I'm a little younger, and I grew up watching the show on reruns, but I had the same experience.

As an adult, I quickly figured out that most of the show was total nonsense, easily debunked by science and (accurate) history. Fun for a kid, though.

jwoverho and Scowl like this.
  12. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Yes, as a child I had stacks of books on UFOs and ghosts and ESP (I still have them) and it felt like I was growing up in a universe full of unknowns that had the potential to change everything. My gosh, aliens were flying around in the skies, Bigfoot was stomping around in the forests, people were predicting the future and communicating through telepathy... anything seemed possible! There was no way that all of these things could be hoaxes and surely in the next decade we would know that for certain.

What a disappointment.

13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Weird! I'll see what I can scrounge up, I'm partial to an interesting soundtrack or library album! :cool:

14. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Looking back at this thread I remembered another late night show, which didn't run long, called The Fantastic Journey. Haven't seen it since it was aired so I'm about to watch an episode to see how bad it was.

There was also a TV movie called The World Beyond around the same time with a similar vibe that was intended as a pilot for a TV series. I remember seeing it as a late night rerun a couple of years after it originally aired and it scared the crap out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzjM40LU8XI&list=WL&index=93

Lots of this stuff in the 70s now that I'm thinking about it, including those Sunn Classic Pictures movies like In Search of Noah's Ark (no relation). Total hokum but I have a nostalgic soft spot for all of it.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. I’ve watched it recently, it’s a really trippy show. Start with the first episode or you’ll be even more lost than normal!

Solaris likes this.
  16. SmallDarkCloud

Two episodes of In Search Of... were later adapted into one of those films, under the title Manbeast! In the 80s, a lot of those pseudo-documentaries would turn up on Ted Turner's TBS network, usually at really odd hours, like Sunday morning at 4 AM. Cheap programming, I'll guess.

hi_watt likes this.
  17. Loved the show as a kid - along with other low-budget “reality”/documentary/variety shows like That’s Incredible! - but haven’t seen it in almost 40 years. I have been tempted by that DVD box set, but I fear it wouldn’t hold up so well.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
  18. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I loved In Search Of…..

Im still fascinated by these types of mysteries. I wouldn’t say I’m Graham Hancock level insane, but there are lots of unknowns out there

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  19. SmallDarkCloud

20. StarsCanFrighten

StarsCanFrighten Forum Resident

That show sparked more awe and wonder in my eight- year old mind than any of my Marvel comics. I think the jumping off point for me was a couple years later when my best friend and I watched an over-the-top episode which, if memory serves, was called In Search of the Swamp Monster. Now, over 40 years later, it’s amazing to me that adults still wholeheartedly believe the crypto myths that Nimoy used to spin.

hi_watt, Shawn and Solaris like this.
  21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I was young but remember it well and found the music a little foreboding which was very effective to say the least!

I remember them talking about the Bermuda Triangle which was disconcerting but I don't recall if that was the Amelia Earheart episode?

22. SmallDarkCloud

There were episodes for both topics. The Bermuda Triangle was a pop culture phenomenon in the 1970s. One of my cousins owned the Milton-Bradley(?) board game. You moved ships around the triangle to avoid a cloud - a game piece with a magnet on the bottom. If you ran into the cloud, the magnet picked up your ship.

It wasn’t until Wikipedia existed that I learned that the Triangle was an invention of those trashy pulp non-fiction magazines of the 1960s, like Fate. The Bigfoot myth also came from those magazines, or were popularized by them.

Scowl and All Down The Line like this.
  23. SmallDarkCloud

It is really silly, but I still like The Legend of Boggy Creek, the 1972 pseudo-documentary that kicked off the cryptid “documentary” craze of the 1970s. On its own terms, it’s fun to watch. The success of that movie probably had a hand in inspiring In Search Of…

24. Saw this at a drive-in, bathroom scene towards the end happened as the fog rolled into the theater parking lot, scared the pants off this kid. :eek:

-s1m0n-

25. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

The series came after three one-hour TV documentaries produced in 1973- 1975 by Alan Landsburg covering similar topics to the show that featured narration by Rod Serling, who was the initial choice to host the spin-off show. After Serling's death, Leonard Nimoy was selected to be the host. Mystery solved. :)

Shawn and Scowl like this.