SH Spotlight "In The Wind" stereo SACD by Peter, Paul and Mary from Audio Fidelity. Mastering secrets post #271

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Good, glad to hear it, thanks.

2. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

And, Steve, your efforts with Ashes Are Burning by Renaissance is going how well?

3. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

The PP&M is great, bought it right away, would love to see the later album "See What Tomorrow Brings" on AF as well - I have an Ampex 7.5 reel of it and the vinyl.....and the WB CD which I think was messed with in a not so good way...

4. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Anybody interested in audio replay and has no major issues with the music should buy this disc, it is very very impressive.

5. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I know I'm late...but this post got me to order this SACD and believe everything you read in this thread, it does sound amazing. But more important, it is my first taste of P, P & M and this wonderful cd is my introduction to their music. RXCORY is right, it does belong in every collection.

WMTC, SKean and rxcory like this.
  6. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I pre-ordered this and received it on release day. It is indeed a great CD. It has a lot of great music on it. The Dylan covers are, of course, very good. Peter, Paul and Mary always sounded good together and I appreciate the chance to listen to them via SACD. Thanks.

SKean likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Glad to hear it. Believe it or not, PP&M are sort of the Monkees of the folk world. By that I mean they were created by a man (Albert Grossman) to fit a picture and look in his mind of what a "folk group" should be like and what the scene needed, sort of a coed Kingston Trio. He was already managing Bob Dylan, but this was to be different: Two dudes, slightly "off" looking (beatnik style) but wearing suits and a pretty, very pale, blond girl. He got them together but as we all know, you can put them together but (as with the Monkees) they have to take it from there, and they did. The musicianship, harmonies, guitar playing, vocals, beautiful.

supermd, Jack_Straw, RubenH and 11 others like this.
  8. zen

zen Senior Member

I had to buy a second copy, cause my mom (a huge PPM fan) never takes "my copy" out of her 5 disc carousel CD player. Thanks again Steve. :D

9. triple

triple Senior Member

I succumbed and ordered this sacd. Dream With Dean and various MFSL Miles Davis sacds will have to wait.

dennis the menace likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

It's worth it, great album, great sounding stereo, lifelike, mixed by a true unsung master.

bluemooze, SKean and Kkfan like this.
  11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Wow - where did the time go?

12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I've been waiting forever for the APO SACD remasters of other PP&M albums, but their site has been showing publication date as "TBA" for as long as I can remember.

The two A-F titles released are easily among my favorites of audiophile recordings released over the past decade.

SKean and jmrife like this.
  13. PassionPlay

PassionPlay Forum Resident

Just purchased this - what a great sounding CD. Thanks Steve!

SKean likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

You're welcome. Possibly the best sounding recording from that era.

driverdrummer and elvissinatra like this.
  15. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Steve, I gotta tell you....last week my wife & I took the week off and headed for the beach. Before we left, I ripped both Peter, Paul and Mary and In The Wind to lossless (FLAC) files and then created MP3 versions for portable use. (My CDs never leave the house!)

So I'm sitting on the beach....with the waves swooshing & crashing...the seagulls occasionally squawking....listening to lossy MP3s of these two albums over iPod earbuds - and when I cranked them up, I could still hear every guitar strum & string pick. It was like this fabulous trio was right in front of me giving a concert! These 2 releases sound THAT good!

WMTC and Steve Hoffman like this.
  16. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

AP did 200 gram vinyl releases of In Concert and Album 1700. (They still show Hybrid SACDs of both titles as "Arrival Date To be Announced" - and it's been that way for a long time.

In my opinion, the #2 chart peak is deceiving. (Moving) would have easily made it to #1, had it not been for Vaughn Meader's The First Family, which was #1 for 12 weeks beginning on 12/15/62. (Moving) debuted about 4 weeks into that run.

As much as I like PP&M, I agree with Steve. The two albums he has done for AF are the group's biggies - the ones that everyone seemed to have in the pre-Beatles early 60s. If you were to own 1 or 2 PP&M albums, those are the ones to have. I tend to think that their later albums might struggle to sell as well as the earlier ones. But - I do think that (Moving) - which came out between the other two - would do well.

billnunan and zen like this.
  17. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Ten Years Together (the 1970 Greatest Hits comp) on hybrid SACD would sell, maybe better than any of them. Especially if each track was taken from the original tape, as SH likes to do (and as we like him to do!).

Maybe throw in 3 or 4 bonus tracks that *should* have been on that album to sweeten the deal.

:righton:

18. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I fully agree and look forward with great angst and anticipation of Steve tackling and remastering Renaissance's Ashes Are Burning,
    probably the greatest female sung album besides Tapestry. The greatest album few have ever heard.......

(This is my 7th or 8th hint thrown to Steve out here..... Hopefully he's open to starvation-type recommendations from us fans, for he
    did do an album of Renaissance's, but not their Sgt Pepper's......)

19. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

10 Years Together is a fantastic comp - I played the hell out of it when it came out. That said, I don't see AF doing it after releasing half the songs on PP&M and In The Wind. And AF rarely adds bonus tracks - their thing is all about releasing what was on the vinyl release. How does the current CD sound?

And we should give a nod to the WB/Rhino Very Best Of compilation that Bill Inglot worked on. IMO, it represents some of his finest re-mastering work. The booklet is well-done also. Plus he gives us a stereo mix of the single version of "Hammer". If buying the individual albums is not for you, consider this comp.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Album 1600 has been my personal favorite since it came out, probably because of their monster hit on that album. We need a great "Puff" too.

21. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Picked up the SACD up today at the WAX Record Fair, and holy crap, this is an unbelievable sounding SACD! I know the album very well, but have never heard it better. Played it twice in a row this evening. A-maizin, Steve!!!

SKean likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

23. fra_pe

fra_pe Forum Resident

Any chance of more PPM SACDs?

zen and SKean like this.
  24. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I remember that at least East Coast and Midwest pressings of the LP (by Columbia's plants) used lacquers cut at Columbia's Hollywood studios (presumably from the Radio Recorders' mix). I wonder at what point Warners' ceased to use Radio Recorders for their principal recording, mixing and frequently mastering, and switched to United/Western (where I saw some of their lacquers on West Coast pressings from about 1964 to circa 1969-70). I'm sure that must've been from their merger with Reprise which had their material recorded and mastered at the latter studio.

25. kauwi

kauwi Well-Known Member

CD vs. SACD Layer ... any differences?
    Thanks