SH Spotlight "In The Wind" stereo SACD by Peter, Paul and Mary from Audio Fidelity. Mastering secrets post #271

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2013.

1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Really looking forward to this one. I remember listening to the LP when I was a kid (my parents were fans) and thinking how real the voices sounded, even on my Dad's crapcan console. Sorta disappointed this won't be a 3-channel release though :angel:

2. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Found a clean Mono copy at a Goodwill not long ago for 75c!

3. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

That's what's great about the CD version, you can skip "Paul Talk" and "Car Car" which by their nature don't really stand up to repeated listening. "Blue" and "Oh, Rock My Soul" are both fun songs (one a parody, the other a sing-along), you can skip them, but being a double-length album, that still leaves a lot of great stuff:

The Times They are a Changin'
    A' Soalin'
    500 Miles
    Three Ravens
    One Kind Favor
    Blowin' in the Wind
    Puff, the Magic Dragon
    Jesus Met the Woman

And that's just disc 1, I'd buy it for that alone. :righton:

I'm really looking forward to all four of these, and I hope they do the rest, at least up to (and including) "10 Years Together".

4. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

I asked AF on their Facebook page about possible release dates for the PP&M SACDs. This was their reply:

Although not exactly "close at hand," it's good to know "In the Wind" now has at least an approximate release date. :)

Quark1134 and rxcory like this.
  5. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Alright Steve, arm is twisted. It's on my "must buy" list. Thanks for the heads up.......... ;)

6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"Stewball", "Long Chain On", "Freight Train", one great song after another. This one is all killer - no filler.

rxcory likes this.
  7. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I gotta admit I would never had been interested in this if I hadn't read about it here from Steve. But in anticipation of the SACDs I picked up used LPs of PP&M's first three albums and fell in love with them all, especially In The Wind. They had a simple but special sound. Maybe a little 'arm twisting' but I think you're going to love it.

WMTC and JMCIII like this.
  8. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Hahahahaha, seriously, Steve rarely has to "twist my arm" to get me interested in good music. And as a long time PP&M fan, I would have considered it anyway - Steve's words just sealed the deal.

WMTC and rxcory like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That LONG CHAIN ON song is pretty intense. Love it.

10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Anyone heard anything recently on this one?

11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Nothing officially yet...

12. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

I'm REALLY happy about this. I have a mono copy I must have listened to a thousand times since it was released. PP&M was the first concert I ever attended - my parents took me, I think I was 10. Never heard the disc in stereo. BRING IT ON!!!!

WMTC and rxcory like this.
  13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I don't think I've ever heard it in <<<S T E R E O>>> either. I had a copy of the record back in the early 60s, but I think it has been lost for more than 40 years.

WMTC likes this.
  14. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

The In Concert double lp was one of my favorites when it first came out. Wonder what happened to that? It has only been 50 years!

WMTC and Folknik like this.
  15. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Last I heard, it was available on CD. I still listen to my vinyl copy.

triple likes this.
  16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have "In Concert" on CD - it's my least favourite PPM album

sgb likes this.
  17. sgb

sgb Senior Member

+1 on that, Geoff. I'll buy the SACD if/when it actually is released, but as slow as things are with all of them I won't be holding my breath.

Amazon shipped my AF PPM SACD Monday and it should arrive today. Would love to have In the Wind and Album 1700 before the end of 2014, but this, too, isn't likely.

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

So is the In the Wind SACD happening? Of course, Analogue Productions does not show a date for their Peter, Paul & Mary SACDs.

19. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I hope so, Keith. The PPM selections from all of the various audiophile labels is a welcome relief from all of their usual stuff. The delays really are unfathomable, though; really a bunch of WTF situations.

20. KeithH

Sadly, this has become the norm. MFSL gets the most criticism since they announce titles so far in advance, but Analogue Productions operates in a similar fashion. Audio Fidelity does not announce titles so far in advance, but every title they release seems to be delayed at least once. SHM-SACDs and Platinum SHM-CDs are now delayed regularly as well.

21. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Sometime last year during the last quarter, I sent an email to Audio Fidelity asking about both albums and their respective release dates. I got a reply from Marshall that basically said "Peter, Paul & Mary" was due in early February of 2014 (I believe it was the original release date quoted on Amazon), and that "In The Wind" was originally scheduled for release sometime in April, 2014. I would guess that since the first album was delayed nearly a month, "In The Wind" would also be delayed at least a month or more.

AJH

rxcory and bluesbro like this.
  22. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I'm alittle surprised all the PPM CDs aren't priced at $5. (not talking about the SACD)

23. KeithH

Good info. Thanks!

24. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

This was my Dad's favorite album back in the early 60's. He will be 96 in June. This will make a great birthday present. So, gotta buy two...

McLover, goodiesguy, sgb and 3 others like this.
  25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

96? He's going well - I hope he enjoys it.

billnunan likes this.