Indiana Jones 5 (Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Destiny) *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I love any movie with artic scenes. They're always fascinating. Much more interesting than one set in Burbank.

2. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Please sell the rights to your dream to Disney

3. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I think people will go to see it, but a $300 million production budget now puts it in the kind of territory where it needs to be one of the highest-grossing movies of all time just to make its money back, as was the case with the Avatar sequel a couple of months ago. I mean, I'll probably see it when it comes out but I can't see it making that kind of money.

4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I think it's been established that there is no time travel/old Indy/Young Indy in the same scenes involved.
    The film starts with events in 1944 where he defeats the Mads Mikkelsen Nazi character then the rest of the film takes place in 1969 where they face each other again and Indy has to prevent him from attaining the 'Dial of Destiny' time travel device and prevent him changing the events of 1944 and the outcome of WW II.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Kyle William

Kyle William Just a Hippie Gypsy

No chance!! It will be full of crappy CGI

keys74 likes this.
  6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Most likely worse than Crystal Skull, if that's possible :unhunh:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    Matthew Tate, keys74 and Kyle William like this.
  7. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

8. keys74

keys74 Forum Resident

Indiana Jones and the Ring of Fire. Sponsored by Taco Bell.

420JJJazz666 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Thor already claimed that title with Love and Thunder.

10. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

11. Bvinyl

Bvinyl Well-Known Member

Maybe Indiana will discover the Fountain Of Youth....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I got bored just reading the article , sort of made me want to avoid the movie.

mx20 likes this.
  13. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

My guess is that the time-travel McGuffin is going to be a theme for Indy looking back on his past, and there will be a crucial moment when he has the opportunity to use the Dial (or whatever it is) to change it at some crucial point. Similar to his being tempted to take the Grail versus leaving it in Last Crusade, etc.

14. Bowie Fett

Well, the film is now complete, and I’ve heard it makes the heart beat in many, many ways. Unlike some of the words in this thread, copious amounts of CG wasn’t used. Most of the $300 million budget was spent on set construction.

FACE OF BOE, Quadboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I hope there’s some sort of self-aware joke made at some point in the movie along the lines of, “Nah, you can’t go back and try to recapture the past, I’m an old man now, there’s no point in trying to relive past glories,” etc.

Karnak likes this.
  16. Old Fart At Play

I’m curious about whether the dial of destiny time machine has any basis in existing stories or myths. Obviously, the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail are both biblical. The sacred stones and crystal skulls are less firm, but at least were based on existing tales and objects. It seems hard to believe that the dial of destiny comes from any specific legends, but if not, it would be the first Indiana Jones MacGuffin that was just pulled from the screenwriter’s ass.

Quadboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Quadboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Old Fart At Play

Interesting, thanks!

It makes the idea of time travel as a plot element more palatable to me if it is based on an actual archaeological object, especially one that is a bit mysterious and seemingly “futuristic.” The Greek Report article even describes the missing portion, somewhat humorously, as a “Holy Grail” for marine archaeologists! That would tie in with the underwater scenes in the trailer, and there are a few Greek-looking statues as well. I think I’m already liking the movie more! :)

5th-beatle, Quadboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Just watched the trailer from the Super Bowl, oh, excuse me, I mean the "Big Game" (jfc), and I just shake my head that these movies need to have so much CGI. I mean, they can't even shoot a sky or a mountain anymore without the help of computers?? It just looks so fake. I know, old man yells at cloud, but I'm so sick of it.

20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Isn’t CGI suppose to save money?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

I'm sure it is. In the process, they've also saved me some money.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    Matthew Tate and FACE OF BOE like this.
  22. Bowie Fett

I don’t believe that’s true. Most of the $300 million budget was spent on practical effects and sets. More than any film before it, I’ve heard.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

I don't doubt that what you state about the budget is true. But the trailer looked full of CGI effects.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Rudi likes this.
  24. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I don't know if that's much better. Doesn't a production budget of that size (and presumably a promotional budget just as big) put it in the same category as Avatar 2, in the sense that it needs to be one of the highest-grossing movies of all time just to break even?

25. Bowie Fett