Indoor antenna for low channels

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Jul 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

In another thread I just got a TCL Roku TV 55S525, quite nice so far. For local just connected to a literally tiny rabbit ears, many channels that show up in the program guide have insufficient signal, and the low numbered channels like 2, 5, 7 are not showing up at all. I have not fiddled with the positioning because due to the results I think this antenna is just not good enough, I don't want to do all that fiddling without getting a better antenna.

Thoughts about an indoor* antenna good for that? I know a lot of the channels have moved around and their frequencies don't correspond to the channel numbers any more but I forget where to look that up.

*Yes, I know up high on the wall or in the attic or on the roof is better. That is not feasible at this time for domestic reasons. We have a clear view to transmitters on Mount Wilson, and this little rabbit ears got a number more channels in the back yard connected to a TCL 43S425, so I think indoor should be fine if I can just get the right antenna.

2. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

You probably already know about antennaweb.org. Put in your address, they’ll tell you what channels you’ll get with different types of antennas. I’m 25 miles, fairly line-of-sight, from our most basic transmitters. I have two Mohu Leaf Amplified antennas, one on a kitchen counter back wall, going through two walls toward the signal. Works fine, especially for low channels. They’re like 8 1/2” X 11” paper size, white or black side. I think Channel Master makes about the same thing.

One thing is - with any antenna - you’ll have to place it, scan for stations, reposition, scan again. Eventually, you’ll get the ideal or best compromising position.

head_unit likes this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Ah that was it. I'll take a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.