Interesting All-in-One Ultrasonic Cleaner - HumminGuru

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Spivey, Dec 4, 2020.

1. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

Very interesting! I hope it works out. Competition always leads to better products/services. I love my Degritter, but this looks pretty cool too.

2. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I just backed it. We’ll see if it gets funded and then how well it works, but, the premise is what I’ve always wanted from a record cleaner: one simple step.

walrus and JorgeGvb like this.
  3. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

I wish them luck; but they are biting off quite a bit:

1. A single small tank at 40kHz is going to possibly have some issues with bath water and record temperature thermal management. If there is 200-300 watts of power, a lot of that power is dissipated as heat. I saw a picture of the Degritter with the covers-off, and its a pretty complex machine. The compact design needs air cooling of the various components or its not going to last very long. Also, given the tight spacing I do not know how they are going to quiet that unit using 40kHz. Degritter got it right using a higher frequency 120kHz which keeps the unit quiet. There are some on this forum that have indicated that these inexpensive Chinese 40kHz units should ONLY be used with hearing protection.

2. If they are going to drain the water to a lower reservoir that means they need an electrically controlled valve and a pump to put the water back into the tank. This adds a lot of complication - seals to prevent water leaks can be challenge - add a low surface tension surfactant and the challenge just got that much worse.

3. They show two small centrifugal fans for drying (and I suspect cooling); but these need filters; and this all adds complexity.

5. They need at least one motor to slowly spin the record, the other drive can be a simple idler. But to gear-down the motor to a slow spin - the motor design can be a challenge in that small space.

6. They need temperature sensors, maybe level sensors nd maybe hall-effect sensors to monitor the system that all adds complexity and cost.

7. If they deliver all this for $299 or even $399 I do not know how without 'state' sponsorship. Its interesting, that Degritter was crowd funded at about $100K, but this venture is about $180K. Not sure what to make of that.

Just some thoughts

4. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Guys!

That's a very interesting one.

If they can get it right, for even 399€\$ I'm in.

I have to admit that the machine looks kind of ugly, but if it works...

I was always wondering why nobody came in for a good price / value ultrasonic machine. AudioDesk and Degritter for 3,000€/$ are out of my budget.

Interesting to see how this will work out.

Bye Andrea :wave:

5. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Crickey looking at that it deserves to take off.:edthumbs:

6. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good points. I suspect at this price point we won't get all these features and compromises will be made. You highlight the valve and I'd be interested to see how this is implemented as well.

They responded to my question regarding the rotation speed privately and said they will follow up with their team and respond publicly too at that time . It sounds like they are still open to modifications and suggestions.

7. Joe Spivey

Well they certainly have a ways to go to get funded. I suspect the margins are smaller for them, so more pledges/units will need to be secured before they could move forward. I'll be keeping an eye on how many backers they get. At the early bird pricing, I've pledged that amount. I'll still continue to evaluate how the product develops and if I want to move past the pledge phase.

8. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Good advice. Seconded.

No pump...the tank is filled manually from the reservoir, as seen in the video. Good point about the seal, but since it drains directly into the reservoir there's little consequence in the event of minor leakage.

Microwave TT motors are cheap, small and very powerful.

The short duty cycle is probably intended to reduce the chance of overheating, plus the water itself cools the unit down through evaporation. A simple overheat sensor relay is not impossible nor would it be expensive. There may be cautions in the manual about initial water temp and oft repeated duty cycle, which will limit liability in the case of a breakdown.

9. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I'm not sure, but I intend to find out.

After abandoning my attempts at US cleaning several years ago, I've decided to give it another go as rinse step instead of a wash. Earlier attempts at cleaning were unproductive in comparison with my hydraulic pressure wash system modeled after the GEM Dandy, which proved to be faster and more thorough, albeit more labour intensive.

This time, I intend to 'dip' the record in the tank for a 10 min rinse cycle using DI water laced with a tiny amount of quat. We'll see if the additional 10 mins is worth it or not.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  10. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

I noted that there was no pump shown, but was hoping that it would be added. Otherwise, after every record is cleaned - the lower reservoir needs to be removed to refill the tank, and if the valve leaks, it leaks into the unit or somewhere the reservoir is temporarily not located - they can work it out. But, then the user has to refill the tank for every record. Without a pump, the process is going to be shall we say a bit cumbersome and pull-space all needs to be considered for this every record cleaned and tank refill. Without a filter, you will need to refresh the unit with clean DIWater every few records.

The tight top arrangement is not going to allow much evaporative cooling. If you are familiar with the Degritter it has overheat protection and cool down periods. But, they could provide multiple reservoirs so that the refill is with cooler water; this what some do with the Degritter.

Yes, they can try to work it all out, but compromised for their price point. But after all is said and done, how convenient is it really going to be noting that today - the Degritter is where the bar is now set for convenience.

Otherwise, you can DIY it and buy a nice USA made 40kHz unit - a Sharpertek XPD360-6L (Ultrasonic Cleaner XPD360-6L (sharpertek.com) for $477 Ultrasonic Cleaner XPD360-6L (ultrasonicsdirect.com) with a 2-yr warranty. Add a VinylStack USA made ULTRA Sonic Spin ~ Record Cleaning Kit | VinylStack (thevinylstack.com) for $275 and the drying stand for $30 and you have an UCM system that can clean 3 records at a time that will last for many years (and I suspect will be much quieter than the low cost Chinese units). Additionally, the Vinylstack UCM spinner allows for very slow rotation and moves from the UCM to the convenient drying stand in seconds. Add a 2nd Sonic Spin Record Stacks | VinylStack (thevinylstack.com) and you can serially process 3 records at a time (while 3 are cleaning, 3 are drying). But you are in for about $782. For future improvement - add a filter system to the UT tank, and depending on the filter you are using you could clean >100-records before tank refresh. But, this DIY UCM will take up more space and it will not be as convenient as the Degritter. But I am pretty confident that it will be perfectly functional years after these other devices have gone to land-fills.

FYI - Sharpertek has a larger more powerful unit with a side drain (the above does not) XPS450-11L 3 GAL. TANK DIMENSIONS 12" × 9" × 6" (L × W × DEPTH), that sells for $795 that could easily handle cleaning 6 records at time, but its a big unit - Ultrasonic Cleaner SH400-11L (ultrasonicsdirect.com) and weighs 35-lbs.

Just some thoughts.

Rupe33 and Xander2017 like this.
  11. meadorbd

meadorbd Listener

It looks intriguing. I signed up.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  12. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Yes.... this is correct. Records should have but one hole, and it should be in the center. If you have a record that has no hole, then it is not a true record meant for playing on a record player, aka a turntable.
    If you have a record with two or more holes, do not attempt to play this record as it will surely reek havoc with your stylus. o_O

13. Joe Spivey

Me too. It’s gaining some more traction now with almost a hundred backers.

14. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Xander2017 likes this.
  15. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

It appears this only uses water, no chemicals? If so, it would not need a rinse just a dry. Am I right?

16. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

Sounds like what I understood. They did mention that you can add an additive to the water if you wish.

17. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

I’ve never done a Kickstarter, so there is a risk that you may loose the $299 you paid?

18. Joe Spivey

Short answer, yes. Probability, not likely.

Here is a fulfillment report I found via Kickstarter.

Kickstarter Fulfillment Report

Given the company, Happywell, has a long manufacturing history, I'm less concerned about them not following through on their project.

19. Joe Spivey

I'd think if nothing is added to the water and you're using a high quality water, then no rinse seems logical. The other question is how effective is the US cleaning if no agent is added? I believe the Degritter US machine recommends an agent be used but I don't believe there is a rinse cycle either.

20. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I think you need to at least add a surfactant to break the natural surface tension of water. Otherwise, my understanding is that the water/solution doesn't enter the vinyl grooves as much.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  21. meadorbd

meadorbd Listener

What's appealing about the thing is the attractive, compact design. The price, too, of course. But I'm in a relatively small urban apartment and already in trouble with The Wife as the Habit starts to displace family heirlooms. I don't care if this thing is a little slower or a little louder as long as I can easily store it alongside the collection without further damaging my marriage. It will be more convenient to store than that hideous looking spin-clean contraption that floats around the house. And how much did I pay for that? This isn't much more expensive for supersonic, automatic cleaning. I woke up still happy with the decision to back these guys - I hope they reach their goal and I hope it lives up to the hype.

Rob6899 likes this.
  22. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Backed. They don't take any money unless they get the full backing anyway- as has been stated elsewhere already on this thread.

Looking at the info available, you can still do a rinse simply by having it run "Clean only"?

My concern is, as stated elsewhere, you have to refill the cleaning reservoir every record. Thats a bit clunky for me, but be interesting to see how it goes.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  23. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Presumably, you can do a wash w/o the drying phase, so tank wouldn't empty? Just guessing. If all you're used to is a spin clean you already have the dish rack lol.

Considering how little water it uses it's probably not a bad idea to change it frequently.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  24. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Good point, and its obviously a small amount if you do need to.

At the price, I think it going to be worthwhile anyway.

I already have a diy US setup which works really well, but is a bit big for my space... and a vinyl vac....and two antistat baths etc etc lol. I'm obsessing over static at the moment.

25. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

What do you use for antistat baths?