Interesting All-in-One Ultrasonic Cleaner - HumminGuru

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Spivey, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I was ready to pull the trigger however it appears that the only shipping option is FedEx from China (?) for about $100 US.

Is this the only option?

3. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

Why don't you ask them?

4. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

They are very responsive to questions. I don’t remember my shipping being a lot. That was pre-inflation though.

5. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

eh.. I just went for it. It appears their website is the only place to purchase it and there is only one shipping option to the US. I searched this thread and many folks commented on the high shipping cost. I figure that being manufactured in China keeps production costs down but results in higher shipping costs when shipping single-unit items within a reasonable time frame.

6. Joseph LeVie

I got my machine when it first came out and I’m still loving it. I would definitely buy it again if necessary.

TSWisla and Veech like this.
  7. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Looks like they just started carrying it at Turntable Lab at $450.

TSWisla and Twinsfan007 like this.
  8. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I just purchased a unit. I used to own a VPI 16.5 and then bought the dreadful Project cleaner. Do most people just use distilled water? It's so simple and sounds almost too good to be true. After years of cleaning with vacuum machines, using multiple steps and arm wands, I can't believe how simple this is.

Geordiepete and this_machine like this.
  9. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Geez, and they are already sold out.

Twinsfan007 and this_machine like this.
  10. this_machine

It was listed as having only one in stock when I posted, so I'm not surprised. I'd think Turntable Lab probably brought in a small quantity to see how they'd do. If I were buying, I might like having a retailer's support, though it seems folks have gotten good service dealing with Guru directly.

11. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I took the last one. Thank you @this_machine for the heads up.

Twinsfan007 and this_machine like this.
  12. this_machine

Enjoy! All thanks to Turntable Lab's good ad targeting :tiphat:

13. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Have you examined the filter after a cleaning cycle, and then after a rinse cycle ? If so, do you see debris after cleaning, and is the filter clean after rinsing or is there additional debris ? I ask because your process is intriguing. I have ready many reports of people using multiple US baths per LP with excellent (but time consuming) results.

I use a Spin Clean to pre clean LPs of loose debris and dust, then a US bath in a diy chinese tank, followed by a nitty gritty vac dry. I use a vinyl spinner to clean 3 LPs per US bath. My process takes about 20-25 min for 3 LPs. I have thought about ways to shorten the cycle.

I have noticed that my US tank has sediment at the bottom after cleaning about 20 LPs were previously cleaned in the Spin Clean. My final results are excellent, but if I can shorten the cleaning process I will probably be able to clean more LPs.

14. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

rl1856: I removed the filter from the watertank as it slowed drainage and is not needed for my system -- you never pour any used water back into the machine -- only leave the original water or water+tergitol in for up to ten records (ocassionally do more). Have NEVER had luck using manual cleaning before or after the Guru and no longer bother with that step. Do check the insides of the US ever so often and occasionally remove minor debris.

15. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

By their marketing photos, it looks like they're banking on Bay City Rollers nostalgia, God help them.

Rupe33 and Candyflip Records like this.
  16. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

My Humminguru cleaning cycle stopped working. Drying cycle works fine, changed all the filters. But when I’m ready to clean, when I press the start button, it starts and stops immediately. I’ve cleaned a lot of records so far and have been using room temperature distilled water.

I’ve emailed the company about my issue so hopefully they can help. Maybe it’s a faulty motor?

17. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi!

Sorry to hear that.

As I'm still on the fence of buying a HG myself - may I ask you how many records you have cleaned with the unit before it stops working?

200, 500 or over 1,000?

Please report back, as soon as you get an answer.

Bye Andrea :wave:

18. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

You weren't asking me but I'd like to say that I've cleaned 500+ records in my 'Guru and it's still delivering excellent results w/ very little effort.
    For the handful of folks who have had issues w/ their units it sounds like customer service has been prompt and effective.
    I think it's a great investment.

19. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I fired this thing up and cleaned about 40 records. What a great machine. A have a few thoughts about it. I hate how the water pours out of the water basin. You definitely do NOT want to be in the same room with it when it is in ultrasonic mode. Some debris is definitely left behind on the records, but with the wipe of a dry brush, it all goes away. I am getting a few drops of water left behind with a 5 minute dry, but I drop the LPs in a drying rack. Records sound wonderful. I can't believe that I was wasting my time with a vacuum machine. I was working all day and I would just come down and drop in a record and go back to work. I would never, ever been able to clean this many records with a vacuum machine, not to mention that I would be exhausted. Best $450 I have ever spent in audio. If this thing holds up, it is a game changer. Could not be happier.

20. Joseph LeVie

I pour the water from the corner of the basin not the spout.

TSWisla likes this.
  21. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Y'all think they will release an "updated" version with some things users have been wanting?

22. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Eventually yes, but that could be years away. What is it you would want that the current version doesn't have?

Rupe33 likes this.
  23. killerofgiants

killerofgiants Forum Resident

Their Kickstarter is live now - you can buy it without the turntable for $149 with free shipping. Knowing that nothing is guaranteed with Kickstarter, I bit just to compare it with my HG (assuming the VinylSonic actually arrives).

24. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

With Kickstarter, will you lose your money if the project falls through?

25. killerofgiants

killerofgiants Forum Resident

Somebody else can verify, but I believe so. You will get charged on 9/22 since the project met its goal of $20k, but if they fail to deliver you are screwed.