Interesting All-in-One Ultrasonic Cleaner - HumminGuru

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Spivey, Dec 4, 2020.

1. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

The quality issues and DIY repairs are what’s prevented me from pulling the trigger on the Humminguru.

I envision using an US like this on new vinyl or as a rinse after a scrubbing on my Pro-Ject VC-E.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It'll be a solid routine for cleaning your records.

3. It's not specific to the Humminguru, but I would recommend anyone who is getting started with ultrasonic cleaning to read up on Paul Rigby's site, The Audiophile Man

He does some very in depth looks into different methods to get the best results, first using the Kirmuss and then later the Degritter. I have done some of the same and generally agree with his observations. The articles can be found via a search on his site, I believe there are two on the Kirmuss and one or more on the Degritter. Just search "Kirmuss" and again for "Degritter". Also worth reading are the "Vinyl Cleaning Guide" articles, split up into separate parts. I think there are 3 or 4 of them. His process evolves over time, so I'd recommend reading it all if you can make the time (the parts on cleaning methods, at least. Of course the product review, set up, etc sections can be skipped).

Again, most of the information on the actual cleaning process can be applied to any US machine, except for those who don't allow the use of surfactants (KLaudio, for example). Highly recommended and something I reference often when tweaking/perfecting my methods.

SublimMedia and headtheory like this.
  4. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Did you ever hear back from HG?

5. AnalogJ

I got an email back from HumminGuru about the use of alcohol. They do not recommend using it with their machine. I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding why.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  6. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I've had a VPI HW 16.5 for a decade or so, and honestly only used it to clean maybe 50-75 records during that time, only used or noisy new records. I will definitely use the HG more, the convenience over anything else has won me over. I was nervous selling the VPI, it's the Toyota Camry of record cleaners, just reliable, simple and will last for decades, but the HG has won me over. So far their support has been good as well, they forgot to ship me the 7in and 10in adapters, and sent them right out FedEx from China.

Andrea_Bellucci and AnalogJ like this.
  7. AnalogJ

And the reason why (not to use IPA)? They've had reported instances of people using IPA and it inadvertently igniting something flammable nearby. I suppose that some may use the HG in a workshop. And if it causes something nearby to go into flames, they don't accept responsibility.

But they said a small amount of IPA won't harm the machine.

Kray and Andrea_Bellucci like this.
  8. It sounds like a disclaimer for liability purposes. You should never add IPA to an empty tank. Always add the water first, then the IPA, or, better yet, premix the IPA and distilled water and keep it on hand as a ready-made solution.

9. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I ordered mine yesterday to compliment my Clearaudio Smart Matrix vacuum cleaning unit.

10. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

11. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I feel that same way about getting a Degritter and selling my VPI Cyclone. I’m already using it more than I did the VPI, with improvements over LPs previously cleaned on the Cyclone.

JohnK

dolsey01 likes this.
  12. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Is it really an upgrade from the Okki? Isn’t that a higher end machine than the HG?

13. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Apples and Oranges - Vacuum vs Ultrasonic.

14. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I pulled the trigger as well, should have it by the end of the month.

15. AnalogJ

16. AnalogJ

Just checking, but are you sure the improvement wasn't from cleaning the record a second time?

I'm also curious as to which fluid you've been using with the Cyclone?

17. AnalogJ

Similarly priced machines.

18. But they are only about $425 shipped if you buy direct from them.

Vinylfindco, jimhb, utahusker and 4 others like this.
  19. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Hi @pacvr. Thanks again for your help with this solution. I've used it for hundreds of records and am really pleased with how easy it is to use and the results. I was recently intrigued by the suggestion from @Greenmonster2420 to experiment with IPA. I checked your book and noticed that in Chapter XIV.6 you discuss using no more than a 2.5% IPA solution. If I wanted to experiment and add that to the Tergitol 15-S-9 solution I'm using (quoted above), I was wondering how I would go about that (if it's not too much trouble to explain). And does adding the IPA in turn require a rinse cycle after? Thank you!

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

And that's only if you only buy the machine. Add extras and shipping goes up quite a bit (almost quadruples).

21. Unless you are cleaning lots of 45s and 10" there's not really extras you really need to start.

bdfin and this_machine like this.
  22. AnalogJ

Or of the belief that you'd want an extra water tank to do a pure distilled water rinse cycle.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

These were on LPs cleaned on a Record Doctor with Disc Doctor fluids, the GEM Dandy system, and the Cyclone with AIVS fluids--from one- to four-step method/rinse; some of those LPS were cleaned three or four times. To be clear, the improvements in general aren't earth shattering, but there is a reduction in surface noise, and a sense of what I would call more coherency. I mostly bought the Degritter for its ease of use, since I just didn't have the patience for all of the steps required with a vacuum RCM to get them really clean, but the improvements are a bonus.

JohnK

Isamet, Andrea_Bellucci and AnalogJ like this.
  24. AnalogJ

Did you also experience an improvement each time that a record was cleaned, from one machine to another?

25. IPA should not require a rinse. I use a small amount in my rinse water. It aids drying and helps remove the surfactant.

this_machine and bruinuclafan like this.