Interesting vinyl/Cd article

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thetman, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

2. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

I beginning to think a lot of people don't know what an AUX port,
    or what stereo cables are, or even how to hook up anything to a stereo.

If you refuse to buy a car, because it doesn't have a CD player,
    then something is very, very wrong.

I drive a 97 maxima with a cassette deck. I tried the cassette to
    CD adapter, but it doesn't work because the deck is autoreverse,
    and also seeks tracks.

I am using a USB transmitter (Not even a bluetooth one):
    https://www.amazon.com/FM-Transmitters-MP3-Player-Accessories/b?ie=UTF8&node=13981621

I can connect my phone, a portable CD player, a minidisc player,
    or even an MP3 Player, the picture is hilariously out of scale!

its just the size of a normal cassette.
    [​IMG]

There are tons of options, if you can't find one, you're not looking hard enough.

later

Bobby Morrow and davers like this.
  3. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I’m sure the content would be different. :agree:

5. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Man at C&A and Howard Bleach like this.
  6. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

Whatever the future holds, glad to see Paul Sinclair at SuperDeluxeEdition lay it all out and advocate for his readers.

I wonder about the extent to which trends differ - if at all - between the UK and the US.

Maybe not much but would like to see other reissue sites (like theseconddisc) similarly engage and look at data - and advocate - for US consumers.

7. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

I believe that when this all settles out, there will be an equilibrium in the market between vinyl, CDs, and cassette tapes. It has been well established that the market still wants physical media, and nostalgia plays a large part in people’s format decisions.

Music producers would do well to remain diversified and offer the public a choice of format. I’m a died in the wool vinyl guy, but I also value CDs and cassettes, both of which comprise a part of my music collection. I think the market will eventually become diversified so that multiple formats are available in the same music store.

pinkrudy, negative1 and lc1995 like this.
  8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

It may be useful to note that copying and pasting the full text of SDE’s copyrighted essay here, as this post does, vividly underlines some of the forces at work around this topic.

davers and negative1 like this.
  9. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

You only need to visit Twist & Shout in Denver to see that-Vinyl, CDs, even cassettes (don't get it, sorry) new, used, re-issues, all genres, with a customer base that spans every age group. There's an intentionality to physical formats (particularly vinyl) that doesn't exist with streaming. People like the physical THING. It's not just music-a few years ago people were predicting the end of printed books. Everyone would read on Kindles. Hasn't happened. Chain stores and Amazon would wipe out independent bookstores. They took a huge hit, but the best ones have survived and thrived. Not so Borders. I value my records and CDs. Sure, I stream in the car, it's convenient, but if I like something enough, I buy it on vinyl. Plus, you can't roll a joint on a download.

The Trinity, ispace and lc1995 like this.
  10. houseplantkiller

houseplantkiller Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing the article! It was an interesting read and, even though I much prefer vinyl records over CDs, I don't dispute it. There's one thing, though.

"Fans who have bought CDs for 30 years aren’t going to suddenly dump everything off at their local charity shop and be happy to ‘rent’ all their music monthly from a streaming service..."

I think this is happening, actually. There are tons of CDs at the thrift shops - good stuff, too. It's a good time to buy cheap CDs if that's your thing.

Man at C&A, davers and Gaslight like this.
  11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I bought a brand new BMW X1 less than a year ago and had a CD player fitted in it, BMW are still offering it as an option.

lc1995 likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Same feeling. Anecdotal as always but most people don't have the same fetish with physical media as some of us here do.

Just in my own family...I actually have all my mom's CD's in my garage right now. My parents switched to CD's in 1986/1987 timeframe and about a year before I jumped in, the first CD player I had ever heard was theirs. Looks like they had amassed about 50 CD's over the last 30+ years.

I'm being tasked to rip the songs she wants, put them onto iTunes Music as she's already donated her CD player / receiver / speakers to Goodwill. It hasn't been used in many years now and she's just downsized her living space. She's happy to just play these off her iPad, her iPhone or her Echo device.

houseplantkiller likes this.
  13. thetman

thetman Forum Resident Thread Starter

very true- I went to a Newbury comics last week to sell off some of my vinyl. I've never been to this store before but they had a huge section of used cds. pretty equal to the vinyl but in better shape

lc1995 and houseplantkiller like this.
  14. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

Yeah my '18 Subaru has one. It also has two USB ports and Bluetooth. I don't think I've ever played a CD in that car.

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Here, the nadir was just over 200,000. I must have been one of a few thousand vinyl buyers at the time.

Man at C&A and nlgbbbblth like this.
  16. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Presumably 1993.

I remember a couple of weeks before U2's Zooropa came out. I asked my local shop to order me a vinyl copy. On release day, I called to collect it.
    "So how many vinyl copies did you get in?"
    "Two - another guy also asked about one last week"
    "As a matter of interest, how many CDs and tapes?"
    "300 CDs, 150 cassettes"

Around three weeks later, I saw a vinyl copy of Zooropa behind the counter.
    "Did that other guy not pick it up or did you get more in?"
    "He rang to say he changed his mind and took it on CD instead"

It was still there at Christmas and reduced to half-price. I took it off his hands then.

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The nadir was actually around 2007. RSD is credited with starting the revival, but I noticed a few independent stores were stocking new vinyl in the years preceding this date.

18. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.