Interstellar - Christopher Nolan

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

With a film like this I want to know as little as possible prior to going in. I saw the initial teaser trailer, that was enough to convince me that I want to see it. Now I'm avoiding all other trailers, reviews, etc.

BluesOvertookMe and ssmith3046 like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What if there was a wormhole that would allow you to get from here to another part of the Universe in seconds... a place with habitable planets? (This is mentioned in the trailer, so this is no spoiler.)

wayneklein likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm on my way to a 35mm sneak preview tonight!

4. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

looking forward to seeing this!

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just got out of the movie. I am in a little bit of a Daze. Three hours is a marathon for a film and if there was ever a marathon of a film it is interstellar. I'm still digesting, but I may have just seen the best science-fiction movie in the last 30 years.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Now I'm excited.

7. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

planning on seeing it at an IMAX theatre this weekend

8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Sounds intriguing.

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Is it just me or does every Nolan film that comes out receive an inordinate amount of post-release hype? I mean, his films are entertaining and all, but I think maybe slightly overrated. I bet Interstellar will be in the IMDB top ten within the week.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  10. htom

htom Senior Member

Did you mean pre-release hype, given the film hasn't opened yet?

As for your other point, opinions are subjective. All of them.

11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

The film is officially out in 35mm-equipped theaters. Plus I'm speaking about all of Nolan's films, not just Interstellar.

12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I think Nolan is the best mainstream Hollywood filmmaker today. His films like Inception and Interstellar are made for the mainstream audience and mass appeal but still manage to be ambitious, somewhat artistic, endeavors. So that may be why the hype for his movies get really loud upon release.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well said. Defines this movie wonderfully. It is alternately riveting as an action piece, tear-jerking as a family drama and thought-provoking in the finest tradition of science fiction. It's a masterful film. It's one of those films you walk out of just wanting to talk and rave about with other members of the audience -- strangers. It's a huge film, ambitious in scope and artistry, and yet at the same time fully works as popular entertainment that mainstream audiences won't feel put off by or cheated. I was not a fan of "Inception" because I thought it failed at a key tenant of science fiction: verisimilitude. I just didn't buy it and I was also bothered by its all-too serious (pretentious?) tone. But this film, despite walking on the edge of incredulousness still worked for me, because it's a "Golden Age" type of sci-fi film where the incredible meets reality on a happy playing field of fantasy. But a fantasy still effectively sold through its science. As a popular entertainment, it's meticulously crafted. It feels familiar in all the right ways, but its directed at such a higher level than others of the genre it avoids the worst cliches. The script is brilliant in structure and very, very smart and clever. There are some moments that literally had me on the edge of my seat. It's a cliche but its true. The performances are ALL fantastic and the look of the film .... ahhhh. I'm going to see it again, immediately. All three, butt-flattening hours of it!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Robert C, mikeyt and marblesmike like this.
  14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Inception and The Batman Trilogy are some of the most overrated films of all time.

15. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

70mm at the Dome in Hollywood. Will see it this weekend.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Really? 70mm. Hmmmmmmm.....

It was weird seeing real film again. These was a splice tear in the film last night. A little crack of bright white light that flashed from the screen. I got all nostalgic. There was even a bad jump from a break in the film or sloppy projector switch. Too bizzare to see again. Ah, film! It's funny how, contrary to the 4K mentality, you don't need ABSOLUTE CRISPNESS for an image to look good. The theater owner came out before the showing and announced how happy he was that he had kept his 35mm projector for events like this and that a studio rep had come out to check the projector to make sure it was up to snuff. But as the film started I noticed that all the titles weren't razor sharp, kind of soft like they were slightly out of focus. I was going to shout the classic "Focus!" at the projectionist (just for nostalgia's sake) but when the movie started, when you're watching faces and scenes, for some reason they look perfectly fine and detailed. They don't look out of focus at all. Hmmm, is there a vinyl analogy there somewhere? Or a digital one?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  17. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Fantastic! Quick question. One of the complaints from some reviewers is that the movie is simply too complicated. Did you find this to be the case?

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Not at all. There are one or two bits of dialogue that are a bit esoteric, like some spouting quotes from "A Brief History of Time" but only a handful of lines. You're basically swept along on a big adventure with a little dash of relativity thrown in to make things interesting concerning the problems of space travelers getting too close to a black hole. There's an ongoing mystery of who are the powers at work behind the scenes, but it gets very easily explained. I wouldnt say its too complicated at all, but, unlike most films, you get to think a little and wait until a couple pf puzzle pieces are put together -- but it's kids stuff and the script sews up everything nice and neat.

19. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

thanks - now I need to decide if I see it in Imax (which I normally don't like) or on a regular screen

20. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

In your opinion. The critical reception and box-office dollars speak for themselves.

22. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

3/10 for me.
    3 hours of a pretentious, boring movie, with ridiculous dialogues, lots of metaphysical-philosophical crap, and visually as if there hadn't been innovations since Kubrick's 2001.
    Do yourself a favor, watch again either 2001 (who at least didn't claim to give answers) or Tarkovski's Solaris.

23. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

You realize you just violated the most important rule on the internet, don't you? If you check your ISP bill you will notice that there is a provision in there that says you will have your internet access blocked if you criticize anything Christopher Nolan has been involved in online. You have been warned.

Besides all of the crap you mentioned above did it at least have the other Nolan trademarks like plot holes, continuity errors and contrivances?

Rufus McDufus and brew ziggins like this.
  24. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I like most of Nolan's movies, but I think this rare parody by the Hollywood Reporter is kinda funny:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/what-christopher-nolan-remade-disney-745963

What If Christopher Nolan Remade Disney Classics?
    10:10 AM PST 11/04/2014 by Graeme McMillan

....Cinderella

Told in nonlinear fashion, Nolan’s Cinderella becomes an exciting, chilling story about one woman’s anxious search for her own identity. With memories of being both a high-society socialite with an expensive shoe habit and a poor, put-upon house cleaner, Ella — as played by Marion Cotillard — has to solve the mystery of the glass slipper before Charming (Cillian Murphy) does. Who is the true Ella — or are both personalities as fake as each other? Michael Caine plays a supporting role as a mouse turned into a particularly dour horse, who happens to be Ella's aged confidant and one true friend.

Bambi

Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Bambi, traumatized and unable to move on with his life after failing to prevent the murder of his mother (shown a number of times in slow, stylishly shot flashbacks). Falling in love with his childhood friend Faline (Jessica Chastain), he has to struggle with his own flawed morality, his obsession about his dead mother and the fact that he’s a goddamn deer before he can confess his true feelings. Michael Caine plays a supporting role as Thumper, Bambi’s aged confidant and one true friend.

Frozen

In an audacious move that may alienate some fans of the original, Anne Hathaway plays both Elsa and Anna, with the much-loved song “Let It Go” replaced by a 22-minute Imax sequence in which the two Hathaways stand on visually spectacular frozen landscapes while elaborate Hans Zimmer orchestral music sums up not only their emotional journeys but the emotional journey of all human beings who have ever had to deal with sibling rivalry. Michael Caine plays a supporting role as Olaf, now transformed into an aged confidant and one true friend.

Beauty and the Beast

Bravely using the classic tale as an investigation into the nature of mob rule, Nolan’s reimagined Beauty and the Beast controversially pushes Belle to one side to focus on the dual struggle of the Beast (Ken Watanabe) to regain his lost humanity and the townsfolk, led by Gaston (Tom Hardy), losing their own individual humanity to the terror of groupthink. An allegory on the contemporary surveillance state and our need to demonize the unknown, Nolan's story nonetheless finds room for Angela Lansbury to return to the role of Mrs. Potts, the singing teapot. Michael Caine plays Lumiere, an aged confidant and the Beast’s one true friend — who just happens to be a talking candlestick.

25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I have mainly good things to say about this movie. Beautiful story. Excellent pace, cinematography and sound. McConaughey's performance is (inter)stellar. I usually like Hathaway's acting but this time I thought she was rather bland and the girl who plays McConaughey's 10 y.o. daughter easily outperformed her.

By the way, I wish I could have enjoyed the movie more. I blame the Nolan brothers for that, since in this particular occasion they probably thought the "Interstellar" audience would consist of slightly dumb or lobotomized people. I'll be more specific: there's a scene one or two minutes into the movie that gives away a lot of stuff and basically spoiled the remaining 167 minutes for me:realmad::

an elderly woman says, in what appears to be a documentary interview, that his father went away a long time ago

anyway, a terrific experience and a movie that has to be seen on the biggest screen you can find. Ok, towards the end it gets a bit silly and...

so, after decades, father and daughter reunite. Murph, now an elderly woman in her deathbed, almost kicks dad away because she wants to die surrounded by her family.:wtf: Huh? Then, he fixes TARS and they steal (why the now legendary Cooper should sneak in into the base? ) a spaceship to find Amelia. Was he afraid to ask for help? Weird finale.

3rd Uncle Bob and sushimaster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.