INXS "Live Baby Live" (fully restored in theaters - Fathom Event)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Oct 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

This looks to be pretty cool. I got a ticket and can't wait to see this on the big screen. Wasn't sure if this should be in music or video forum, but went with this one as it is a concert film.

Fathom Events Confirms Fully Restored INXS: Live Baby Live Heading to U.S. Theaters

Fathom Events will screen theatrically a brand new 4K restoration and reconstruction of INXS: Live Baby Live. The restoration will be screened in select theaters across the nation on December 9.

Official description: Six years to the day of Live Aid and five years and a day since the band supported Queen at Wembley Stadium, INXS headlined their own show at the famed venue to a sell-out crowd of 73,791 crazed fans. Twenty-eight years on, the film has been painstakingly restored from the original 35mm negative, and is now presented in glorious cinematic widescreen, created by going through the film shot by shot and repositioning every single one to get the best out of the frame.

This exclusive event will feature a special "lost" performance discovered during the restoration – 'Lately' from the 'X' album, now returned to its rightful position in the concert setlist. Check local listings and buy tickets: here.​

Hep Alien, twicks, soarer29 and 2 others like this.
  2. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

Hopefully BluRay to follow.

3. agentalbert

Anyone else going to see this in theaters tomorrow?

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Just got back from the screening. The restoration was fantastic, and the show is mesmerizing. I'd only ever seen the somewhat pixellated 2002(?) DVD release, and hadn't seen it in probably 15 years or so, so it felt very fresh.

I was hoping the audio remix would be a little more clear...the drums still sound buried behind not only the band, but behind the sequenced drum machine/percussion tracks...the best sounding tracks were the ones free of overbearing pre-recorded bits: "Original Sin," "The Loved One," etc.

David Mallet was a fantastic concert film director...it's such a bummer U2 didn't do any of their 90's shows on film when he was in the director's chair. Imagine if ZooTV could look like what we saw tonight.

squittolo, Hep Alien, The MEZ and 3 others like this.
  5. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

I saw this tonight as well! I was a little bit disappointed by the sound but it didn’t prevent me from enjoying the heck out of it. Great show!

6. Happy & sad at the same time to see this tonight. I saw a gig on this tour about 6 mos previous to the Wembley gig so it meant a lot to see the tour on the big screen. Broken hearted again over the loss of Michael; what a singer, what a ROCKSTAR.

7. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

Saw it tonight, it was great.
    Few bands have such a detailed representation of them at the peak of their powers. Hopefully this gets a Blu-ray release soon.

8. walrus

Glad it wasn't just me. I couldn't tell if it was the theater or just an iffy mix, but it might be the mix.

impalaboy likes this.
  9. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

Drums did seem a little lackluster. I blame it on my theater being inadequately equipped for playing back a Dolby Atmos mix.

10. walrus

Then I blame it on Fathom Events for sending out the feed in a format all theaters aren't equipped to handle. Regular ol' 5.1 would've been fine, honestly.

11. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

My wording was a little confusing- a 5.1 system can play back a Dolby Atmos mix just fine, but certain details may be more difficult to hear due to the limited number of channels. I guess we’ll be able to judge for ourselves if/when we get a home video release.

12. walrus

I really think it's just an iffy mix. I guess Clearmountain did it, you'd think he'd know better. But I feel like with INXS, everything is built off the rhythm tracks, and those should be among the most prominent things in the mix, which is maybe different than a lot of other bands. (Most mixes start with bass and drums, I'm just saying on an INXS studio mix, they rarely get masked by guitars and synths the way they did in this live mix)

squittolo and Hep Alien like this.
  13. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

The new mix was done at Abbey Road by Giles Martin & Sam Okell. The original 1991 mix was done by Mark Opitz and Niven Garland at Rhinoceros Studios. The sound quality at my theater is usually sub-par so I can’t really judge the remix.

14. walrus

Oh okay, I don't know where I got Bob Clearmountain from. I like Giles' work with the Beatles but this one wasn't very impressive. Still plenty enjoyable (and we know these songs backwards, so it's not a huge deal that the mix was murky)...the visual restoration was absolutely breathtaking.

I only go to the theater like twice a year (it's now $7 for a small popcorn...I won't shed a tear when all the multiplexes go out of business) so I don't know what the sound is usually like. I went to a different theater to see the meh Springsteen movie and that sounded okay, but that was a much different style.

15. I thought the mix was fine.. :shrug:

Andrew Smith and seastman like this.
  16. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

The sound was lackluster and turned down at the theater I saw; really no low end. It started at 7 on the dot- no previews or anything before which is surprising because the few people that showed up weren't even in the theater yet. $15.99 to see this at the theater I went to which is steep because they consider this to be a "special event" but seems to be the average around here.

Surprised no one is complaining about the odd reordered band names at the beginning and fake night color correction they applied. Other than that it looked very nice. It was nice to finally see the lost footage of Lately. I never understood though why they didn't end with Don't Change.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    squittolo likes this.
  17. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Please tell me it’s easy to watch and isn’t like a Bourne film where they think at an actual concert you spend the entire time darting your eyes from one viewpoint to another every 0.3 seconds? Dick Carruthers made a giant mess of the Mumford and Sons South Africa Blu-ray.

18. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

It's easy to watch it's just ridiculous that they tried to create the illusion that the beginning of the concert was dark. Notice too the Coke sign above the stage was covered on the older dvd:

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Nightfly3000

Nightfly3000 Forum Resident

The picture was a restored film print and that worked fine except for the heli shots which were done on video and were not addressed in this release. If they still had access to the original film negatives from the 16 other cameras they could've dropped the heli shots and continued with "new" film band footage. Or they could've spent some money to upres the heli shots (cheated them into 4k) but this was not done. As for the sound I'm not sure they had access to the multi tracks to redo this mix. Does anyone know of the source for the audio last night?

20. walrus

I honestly don't remember the original film particularly well, so I don't know if this one had been re-edited, but it did seem "dark" at times so that makes sense, I suppose. Not sure why that was done.

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Some ads for this film already have the Eagle Rock logo, so the Blu ray is a lock.

I wonder if the INXS vault has this Wembley shot on video for the screens. Completely different crew/camera angles shooting on video. Be a nice bonus feature.

Wouldn't the ZooTv and Popmart screens be "flicker city" if shot on film? I think the U2 music for WGRYWH has some very brief film clips of ZooTv and the screens don't translate.

Liquid77 likes this.
  22. walrus

Would that not have also been a thing when they shot on video? I mean, I feel like that's a thing they could've worked out somehow. But INXS' show was captured on film to be a film, even if the home video technology wouldn't catch up for awhile, ZooTV was filmed for a live Pay-per-view TV special (as was PopMart).

It's just something I was thinking about, along with Queen and other bands of INXS' era who played Wembley or similar gigs and weren't properly captured in anything greater than standard TV resolution of the time. (Yes, I've seen the Queen Hungary show, and it's great to have it in hi-def, but isn't captured with the skill or band involvement of the Wembley gigs)

23. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I get what you're saying and it can appear jarring but it's only used a few times at most as I recall.

24. agentalbert

Glad to see that others saw this. I had a great time at the show. I was puzzled by the stadium looking so dark yet none of the lights were on. Not sure why they felt the need to make it artificially look like night. The concert isn't more exciting for being at "nighttime". I thought the sound mix was reasonable, though the bass was inaudible a lot of the time.

squittolo and Hep Alien like this.
  25. walrus

Also, isn't there supposed to be an audio version of this show as a digital release? Or has that been delayed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.