INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

2. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

This pretty much sums up what could've and should've happened after the immense Aussie success of INXS' 2014 Never Tear Us Apart mini-series, that brought their music to a whole new generation. And I don't believe the defense's claims for a second, especially the claim that Tim would've only earned less than $100,000 net from multiple tours...ROTF! :laugh:

I truly hope Tim gets part of his severed finger amputated. Because if that works and he can play guitar again, there very well could be a bright future for INXS live...:cool:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    mark winstanley likes this.
  3. the_overdog

the_overdog Well-Known Member

I have finally read through this entire thread! Thank you all! It's wonderful! Loved INXS since Kick, but really love all the prior albums better than the ones after.
    Some thoughts:

1) The lack of saxophone on Full Moon Dirty Hearts bugs me. None of the album tracks have any (right?), except maybe that unnecessary Born to Be Wild cover.

2) X is definitely Kick jr. I loved it then, but listen to it less and less over the years. I have read that Lately was actually written during Listen Like Thieves and never completed until X.

3) I personally like 'punk rock' INXS (Biting Bullets) better than 'hard rock' INXS (She is Rising). Never picked up on the idea that the last half of Elegantly Wasted as hard rock, but I think everyone is right. Those are some stomping hard rockers. I think some tempo changes would have helped me personally like them better. Not really much of a stomping hard rock fan.

4) I have a bootleg of their last concert in Burgettstown, PA. They don't sound very tight and Michael talks over bits of several of the songs instead of singing. He's also continuously razzing the crowd to get excited. I also attended the Edgefest show others have mentioned in Dallas, and he did the same thing there "Cheer for the new single please!". He never does that on any of the earlier live tracks or live concerts I have in my collection. I also think that head injury really messed him up.

5) I'd never heard that Michael and Andrew did the vast majority of the singing and music from Kick on, but now that I've learned that I can hear it. I think it caused their music to suffer a bit, as Andrew Farriss does like to slightly adjust and re-use lots of rhythm parts, which can make their music sound samey.

6) That being said, I like how so many of their remixes use the To Look At You basic drumbeat. I think it works pretty well for Johnson's Aeroplane especially.

7) I'd also love a b-sides album! Long in Tooth, It Ain't Easy, Salvation Jane, You Never Used to Cry, and Sweet as Sin are my personal favorites.

8) Lots of people seem to think that RockStar INXS was a bad idea. I think it was an ok idea, and I think the individual band members were for it, as Gary Garry Beers has moved to Hollywood and was a judge on The Christmas Caroler Challenge tv show with Dean Cain as host this last year.

Bringing another early track to the discussion, if it's a cover I'm not sure who it's by. It sounds really spacy and rocking, from the Underneath the Colours period. I like it:
    The closer at 1:07 listed as Far Away.

ARK, ScottishStuart, dirkster and 2 others like this.
  4. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Amazon has a documentary on the lead singer of this group…I never investigated their music then and only heard their stuff in passing, but I intend to watch the documentary and listen to some of their music as the documentary synopsis seemed as if is a very interesting group with a very interesting lead singer. I’ve learned a lot about musicians and actors from very good documentaries that caused me to further investigate the folks lives art..

5. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Cool. Is it the Mystify doc?

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

If that's the Mystify doco, you'll probably enjoy it a lot.

7. joy stinson

I forgot it’s name, but am into an Amazon movie binge and intend to see it along with other Amazon movies of interest. Thanks for the recommendation l

8. joy stinson

Not sure as I’m in the middle of another Amazon movie but will look up the mystify doc as well another here recommended.

9. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

The INXS Access All Areas podcast just interviewed Kirk last week, for the 1st of a 3 part interview. Highlights include, how proud he was of, as well as recently re-watching, the entire Rock Star: INXS show, still keeping in touch with JD, the planned official documentary (that Tim mentioned a few months back), his daily dairies & not being properly given a co-writing credit for By My Side, etc. Check it out:

https://www.inxsaccessallareas.com/post/coming-soon-episode-70-kirk-pengilly-interview-part-1

10. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip.

Re: the documentary, I think Kirk is a little deluded as to how interesting the post-Michael years are for people.

11. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Maybe...but Switch sold well over 1 million copies worldwide. And of course, in my country, it's INXS' 2nd biggest seller, along with Pretty Vegas being their highest selling single...

12. joy stinson

I’ve researched this band only a little and really like what I’ve heard from them. I intend to go through this thread more closely later. In the era of this ban, sadly I was overrun with work, hardly online at all and moved away from my urban record/cd stores which were beginning to close down anyway.

13. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

I don't know if I said this before, but I like the stuff INXS did in the early years of their careers. For me, they wimped out when they started to introduce the overly "disco" sound. Songs like Mystify Me and Beautiful Girl would never be written again.

14. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I wonder if the Original Sin topic had an impact in the US.?

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

That could well be it

16. the_overdog

I don't follow what you mean? Those are songs from late in INXS' career. Their early songs, especially The Swing, were far more danceable and disco-oriented. Also, the albums that followed were far more 'rock oriented' than Welcome to Wherever You Are (Beautiful Girl) is.

If you look at the highest Billboard charting position, then yeah, I think it it did. The One Thing made it to #30, then Original Sin at #58 and I Send a Message #77, and Niles Rodgers agrees. With less singles success, falling from #46 with Shabooh Shoobah to #52 with The Swing was really right in line/treading water.

17. changeling69

I don't remember the before and after bag, but any song that has the jingly disco guitar sound .....in MY humble opinion....is over wimpy :)

18. changeling69

.....AND there is danceable music and danceable music, the Stones did many danceable songs, but they never wimped out !!

joy stinson likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

Personally, I don't hear disco in just about anything INXS did.
    Shabooh Shoobah
    The Swing
    Listen Like Thieves
    Are all very rock oriented albums....
    This is a really strange conversation to me....

ARK, negative1, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  20. the_overdog

IMO they did more live than on record for some time. The Swing Live in Germany isn't very rocking to me, and INXS certainly borrowed from disco programmed drums, short trebley guitar riffs, disco keyboards swells, synthesizers, and basslines that they used occasionally.

21. joy stinson

Sorry..as a disco fan…I don’t equate disco with..”wimping out”..much disco had strong r n b based music, some soul music, some foreshadowing of EDM(Donna summer..love to love you) and most disco was better performed and produced than much rock music then.

22. changeling69

Sorry, but production is not in question here....it's the arrangements, melody and harmony. E.g. I like Lipps Inc, Chic, Sister Sledge and that sort of stuff....but Donna Summer.....no way man :)

23. joy stinson

Agree to disagree..as like rock..disco was several styles or blended styles..Donna was a smooth soul type singer.

ARK, mark winstanley and changeling69 like this.
  24. mark winstanley

I don't hear disco in any way at all on the Swing, and I have no particular dislike of disco, it was huge when I was a kid.

Certainly a lot of the tracks have a dance orientation, but certainly not disco.
    Nine Inch Nails use drum programming and short trebley guitars, but that sure ain't disco lol

25. mark winstanley

She did some great stuff.
    I Feel Love wouldn't generally be my cup of tea, but that thing would make dead folks move, and very much a trend setting, rather than following, song.

ARK likes this.