INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Their best songs are not on those. Check out some of the You Tube items posted.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Here Comes

My ears play tricks on me when I listen to INXS lyrics. I’ve always heard “I found some questions to the answers” as “a thousand questions to be answered” but now that I’ve read the lyrics and listened to “Here Comes” again this morning I have to admit I’m wrong.

Agree. “Here Comes II” is the better version of this track. It starts slower and moodier, but it does have the speed-up at the end. I would rate it a full point better as a result.

I don’t know what’s in “God’s Top 10”, but I’m still curious! Side note: Twitter has an account claiming to be God, and while it has 6.2 million followers, @TheTweetOfGod only follows one other person itself: yes, it’s Justin Bieber.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I was thinking the same.... but I just sidestepped the post :)

Bluepicasso likes this.
  4. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

the confusion comes from the US/CANADA versions.

Dekadance was an EP released in the US and Canada only. LP and Cassette
    ---------
    INXS - Dekadance

[​IMG]

Much later when 'the swing' came out, there was a cassette also
    called Dekadance, which is the one being talked about:
    -------------
    INXS - Dekadance
    [​IMG]

Dance, is just the 12 inch for black and white with the same cover
    as Dekadance:
    ------------------
    INXS - Dance
    [​IMG]
    INXS ‎– Dance
    Label:
    WEA ‎– XS3, WEA ‎– XS 3
    Format:
    Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM
    Australia
    Released:
    Jun 1983
    Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Pop Rock

TracklistShow Credits
    A Black And White (Extended Version) 4:58
    B1 Long In Tooth 3:40
    B2 Any Day But Sunday 4:24
    Total Time: 13:02

later

ARK, pablo fanques, FLF and 4 others like this.
  5. James in NY

James in NY Forum Resident

It seems odd that a Greatest Hits package would not be a good place to start with exploring an artist. I grew up on AOR and albums were also loaded up with gems that received no AirPlay. I didn't see Inxs as an AOR band because they came of age during the early years of MTV, where the emphasis towards videos and singles seemed to sound the death knell for “albums” as they were.
    What album might be suggested as a better place to start?

ARK likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

If you are really interested, stay with us through this album, and the next two.
    I have heard AOR referred to as Album, and/or Adult oriented rock.... I'm not big on genres lol.
    If you like this a little more rock, Listen Like Thieves is probably the more likely album for you.
    The Swing is a magnificent album, but it leans slightly pop.... it definitely has some rock edge in it, but Inxs, as we have discussed on the last couple of pages tended to walk a fine line in between.

I don't really see the guys as a singles or video band personally, I think they just happened to have some good singles, and everyone was making videos.
    The greatest hits album wouldn't satisfy me either, just for the record

7. mark winstanley

Thanks mate. That's very helpful

ARK, pablo fanques and negative1 like this.
  8. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

If he doesn't care for the greatest hits, they're probably not the band for him.

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  9. Bluepicasso

--
    In general, I avoid GH packages as it seems singles are chosen by the record execs, and they usually do not have a clue. From this album on, there are great deep cuts on each album, even the very commercial Kick and X. I would stick around and just test the songs which get a good response from us commenters.

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  10. Bluepicasso

I had the DekaDance cassette, first one. Lost in moves, stolen by friends, who knows, but I loved it.

11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think their run from '85 to '97 has a mountain of great deep cuts, but I have a hard time arguing that INXS' genuinely best songs weren't the ones picked out as singles. I mean, "What You Need," "New Sensation," "Bitter Tears," "Elegantly Wasted," i mean, come on.

The only time I think the single choices may have been a bit off is the '92-93 era, maybe "Communication" should've been the big "we're back and it's the 90's now" single instead of "Heaven Sent," and I think "Days Of Rust" should've been the first single off of Full Moon (not that commercially I think it would've mattered much).

12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yeah, nobody's going to be "meh" about the singles from Kick but hear "Wild Life" and suddenly turn cartwheels.

That said, the one deep cut that I think could possibly blow a naysayer's mind is "The Stairs."

13. mark winstanley

Possibly. I am not even sure what is on the greatest hits. Mainly from what he said in his post, it seems a lot of it isn't rock enough, and Listen Like Thieves is probably the most rock album they did.... it makes a difference.
    Like I say, I'm not sure I would get into a greatest hits set, but having said that, I'm not a singles or generally a compile guy... so who knows

pablo fanques and Bluepicasso like this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Agreed. Amazing song. I would've picked it as a single instead of "Disappear" which I think is one of their weaker hits, but that's why I'm not an A&R exec, I guess.

Just more of an overall statement...there are a lot of artists where I think you're missing a huge part of their essence if you just listen to the singles (The Jam, Genesis, Queen all come to mind) but INXS isn't one of them for me. Sort of the same way I feel about Erasure, another band I absolutely adore but think is perfectly adequately defined by their insanely good run of singles.

15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Not to jump ahead, but one quick point about "The Stairs": It only really came to life for me after seeing Live Baby Live. Just breathes better somehow.

ARK, pablo fanques, walrus and 2 others like this.
  16. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Can’t wait to discuss that one! Love that song. Only need to go through...... 3 more full albums first. :D Time to settle in for the long haul.

17. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I like the faster album version as well as II.

18. Bluepicasso

--
    Thanks for being so determined, but my examples: Shine Like It Does, Tiny Daggers, Lately, Hear That Sound, Strange Desire, Just A Man. Agree with What You Need or New Sensation, but Bitter Tears is a cookie-cutter rocker, Elegantly Wasted is monotonous, the chorus goes nowhere fast. Don't want to derail this great thread. We can disagree all day, but, again, it is what makes a band great.

walrus and mark winstanley like this.
  19. mark winstanley

Let's not get too excited about the songs and albums ahead guys.

It is 1982, we're listening to Shabooh Shoobah, and Here Comes is playing :)

20. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I was in high school in 1982. That seems like a long time ago.

21. mark winstanley

Same here... it really seems like an eternity ago.

22. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

I guess I dig Here Comes far more than the rest of you, because I think it's also one of the best songs from SS. I love the A minor 9 guitar arpeggio intro & how the verses unexpectedly kick in with another set of catchy staccato/legato hybrid guitar riffs that are partly built on the intro riff, and then how that carries through to the choruses, despite not necessarily knowing whether or not you're already there. The lyrics are also brilliant here. And the track appears to be about a couple on the verge of breaking up amicably in order to experience individual freedoms again.
    What an amazing song! :edthumbs:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  23. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

one of the things (no pun intended, ha ha)....

that i love about these song by song, album threads, is it always reminds
    me of the songs, and singles i have, and still want to find and get for my
    collection.

and just TODAY actually, i just got this in the mail, amazing to get something
    this timeless so many years later even now:
    INXS - The One Thing

[​IMG]
    INXS ‎– The One Thing
    Label:
    ATCO Records ‎– 7-99905
    Format:
    Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Rock, Pop
    Style:
    Pop Rock

TracklistShow Credits
    A The One Thing 3:23
    B Phantim Of The Opera 3:07
    Total Time: 6:30
    -----------------------------
    i actually had it with a generic cover from a few months ago, but i wanted one
    with the artwork.

back when the song was actually released in 1982 i didn't hear it until a year
    later when dekadance came out, and since i bought that EP, and the album
    i didn't think i needed the single version (i'm not sure it was even in the
    stores again).

so i never heard any of the b-sides from these singles either.
    since then i have heard all of them on youtube, and downloads too..

but i have a feeling i'll be spending a lot more on the singles from this album and the
    next one, because i only used to buy the 12 inches of the US releases, since there were
    a lot of other bands that i liked also.

of course, there's a lot of really hard to find singles too, and the one thing australian 12 inch
    is 'one' of them.

so thanks for reminding me about filling in the gaps for my collection,

and if you have any rarities please share pictures of them.

this is on ebay (very expensive) autographed by michael hutchence:
    [​IMG]

later

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  24. mark winstanley

Black And White

When this song came out, and I have no idea if it was a single, I looked and couldn't find one, but where I was this got a lot of radio play, so I had assumed it was.

(Could be clear
    (Black and white)
    (Make a decision)
    Got a need inside
    And I don't know why
    It's a strong feeling
    That grows and grows

(One day)
    My life is out the door
    (Next day)
    You show me what it's for
    (One day)
    I think I know myself
    (Next day)
    You leave me on the shelf

(New moment
    (Goes like this)
    (Never forbidden)
    There's nothing to stop
    The thief of time
    Stealing the hours
    That keep you away

It rushes through my veins
    Straight to my head
    My mind is a planet
    For you to roam

There's nothing to stop
    The thief of time
    Stealing the hours
    That keep you away

My life is out the door
    (Next day)
    (One day)
    I think I know myself
    (Next day)

Got a need inside
    And I don't know why
    It's a strong feeling
    And it grows and grows

My life is out the door
    (Next day)
    (One day)
    I think I know myself
    (Next day)

Source: Musixmatch
    Songwriters: Andrew Charles Farriss / Michael Hutchence
    Black And White lyrics © Moonwindow Music, Mca Music Publishing, A.d.o. Universal S

This song grabbed my attention instantly. I love the drum opening, and it keeps my attention all the way through.
    We have a sort of return to the ska feel, to a degree, but the arrangement makes it much more than any kind of ska track.
    The band was really doing some excellent work in grooves and rhythmic structures, which will really come to fruition on the next album.

We get some really nice instrumental interplay. Every member of the band is doing an excellent job with their designated parts, and the way they all work together to drive the song along is great.
    In many ways this is quite a simple track, but it really comes down to the way it is put together.

The instrumental section is a nice collage of sounds that works in its own way to give the track a distinct sound.

We will look at the 12" version when look at the Deka-dance variations. I can't help feeling that I may be more familiar with the 12' version of this track.....

Any of you experts out there please let me know if there were more than two versions of this, because I can't help feeling there were.

I have loved this track since the first time I heard it, and for a long time it was my favourite Inxs track. I still really like it, but there are some other tracks that took its place over the years.

A great way to open side two of the record too.

25. mark winstanley

Sorry that's a little rushed, I got stuck on the highway for half an hour this morning and am running quite late.