INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Guns in the Sky:

Off to a running start here. This fantastic opener is equal parts rap/hip-hop and stadium rock that just grabs my attention. No problem with the political lyrics here. I rather like them, but as mentioned above, this song doesn't really fit or represent the album as whole. By no means a bad track and the 10 year old me loved singing along with it.

I feel the same way. The Live Baby Live version was the go to for me.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

"New Sensation"
    [​IMG]
    Standard artwork (Australian 12-inch vinyl single pictured)
    Single by INXS
    from the album Kick
    B-side
    "Guns in the Sky"
    Released 1988
    Length 3:38
    Label Atlantic
    Songwriter(s) Andrew Farriss Michael Hutchence
    Producer(s) Chris Thomas

"New Sensation" is a song by the Australian rock group INXS. It was the third single from their 1987 album Kick. The music was written by Andrew Farriss and the lyrics by Michael Hutchence. The song reached no. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States, no. 9 in Australia, no. 25 in the UK, and no. 8 on the Album Rock Tracks in the US.

The song features a signature Kirk Pengilly sax solo and lyrics about a partying lifestyle. The first line "Live, baby, live", was later referenced in the title of the bands' 1991 release Live Baby Live.

The video for the song was filmed on the roof of Municipal House in Prague and directed by Richard Lowenstein.

INXS and J.D. Fortune performed the song at the 2010 AFL Grand Final along with "Suicide Blonde". The song was also the first track to be performed at the London Astoria. It was later covered by Welsh band The Automatic at the final performance at the venue in 2009.[citation needed]

In February 2014, after the Channel 7 screening of "INXS: Never Tear Us Apart" mini-series, "New Sensation" charted again in Australia via download sales. It peaked at no. 56 on the ARIA Singles Chart.[citation needed]

In January 2018, as part of Triple M's "Ozzest 100", the 'most Australian' songs of all time, "New Sensation" was ranked number 44.[1]

7": Atlantic / 7-89080 (US)
    1. "New Sensation" – 3:38
    2. "Guns in the Sky" (Kookaburra Mix) – 2:20
    • also available on MC (7 89080-4)
    7": Mercury / INXS 9 (UK)
    1. "New Sensation" – 3:40
    2. "Do Wot You Do" – 3:16
    12": Atlantic / 0-86572 (U.S.)
    1. "New Sensation" (Nick's Twelve Inch Mix) – 6:28
    2. "Guns in the Sky" (Kick Ass Mix) – 6:00
    12": Mercury / INXS 912 (UK)
    1. "New Sensation" – 3:40
    2. "Do Wot You Do" – 3:16
    3. "Love Is (What I Say)"
    4. "Same Direction"
    12": WEA Records / 0-258016 (Australia)
    1. "New Sensation" (Nick's 12" Mix) – 6:28
    2. "Guns in the Sky" (Kick Ass Mix) – 6:00
    3. "New Sensation" (Nick's 7" Mix) – 3:40
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    This track is just such a joyous burst of enthusiasm.
    I can't hear this song these days without seeing the crowd at Wembley stadium all bouncing in unison ....

Live baby live
    Now that the day is over
    I gotta new sensation
    In perfect moments
    Impossible to refuse

Sleep baby sleep
    Now that the night is over

And the sun comes
    Like a god into our room
    All perfect light and promises

Gotta hold on you
    A new sensation, a new sensation
    Right now gonna take you over

Dream baby dream
    Of all that's come and going
    And you will find out in the end
    There really is
    There really is no difference

Cry baby cry
    When you got to get it out
    I'll be your shoulder
    You can tell me all
    Don't keep it in ya

Well that's the reason why I'm here
    Hey hey
    Are you ready for a new sensation, new sensation
    Right now
    Gonna take you on a new sensation, new sensation

(New sensation, news sensation)
    (A new sensation)

Hate baby hate
    When there's nothing left for you
    You're only human what can you do
    It'll soon be over
    Don't let your pain take over you

Love baby love
    It's written all over your face
    There's nothing better we could do
    Than live forever

Well that's all we've got to do
    Hey now I'm gonna take a new sensation, new sensation
    Right now
    Gotta hold on you
    A new sensation, new sensation
    A new sensation

I always tried to figure out the context of the New Sensation ... but it isn't really super important. This song just blasts along taking all prisoners, and it surprises me that Canada was the only number one position the single found.

We open with that solid beat and the emphatic rhythm guitar just driving things along. The arrangement around the guitar gives the song its dynamic, and we have the same guitar chord riff everywhere except the chorus, and surprisingly, for me at least, is the guitar doesn't get annoying.... another example of Inxs being able to arrange their songs so well that they just work.

The little line ending riff, is again on the more simple side, but yet again it is exactly what is required. The chorus hammer on riff is excellent, and keeps the propulsion going.
    We get a short break down and the sax and guitar both add a nice flicker of change, before we submerge back into the infectious rhythm guitar verse section.

Again everyone is working for the song, and it all comes together perfectly. We get a few layers build up towards the back half, and for me it is hard to find any fault in the fun pop song, that just works really well.

I have to say, on listening to these again after so long. Michael's vocals on this album seem to really be very commanding, and he is laying down some great tracks on here.

3. mark winstanley

Guns In The Sky Kookaburra Mix

This is essentially a shuffly little beat mix that is essentially just drums and vocals until near the end where we get the guitars come in.... Not bad, but I think it misses the punch of the album version.

4. mark winstanley

Guns In The Sky Kick Ass Mix

We open with a sort of Ennio Morricone cinematic synth type thing, and then move in a drum groove, that has a chopped up guitar. We end up with a sort of digi-chop version of the track.
    There are all sorts of things being chopped in here (Need You Tonight has quite a bit of input here), and I guess it is an entertaining mix, but probably not one that would get many spins from me.

5. mark winstanley

New Sensation Nick's 12" mix

We open with some of the grunts and such from Guns In The Sky getting some digital chopping, and then launch into the song proper.
    There are some pitch altered vocals mixed in...
    We get some drum and bass and tape jam kind of effect, that rolls into a verse without the guitar, and then bits of the guitar drop in for a visit.
    Then the chorus is a bit of a kitchen sink chop in.
    I am guessing this would have been fairly successful on a nightclub dance floor ... These kinds of mixes, for me personally, are interesting to listen in this context, but I generally prefer the album versions .... that's just me, I can understand why others may prefer these type of chop ups... some interesting stuff, it's well done, but the song takes a back seat to the audio engineer.

6. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

New Sensation 5/5. No doubt one of the highlights of the album and one, might say, of their career. This song, to me, has one foot back to the early material and one foot embracing their new style. Works great as a crossover.

7. mark winstanley

Good point. I hadn't considered that.

8. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

New Sensation

Pure pop perfection. This song is like a sugar candy that melts in my mouth before I can even chew it. It’s almost as if this song is introducing them as a “new sensation” to the worldwide audience. The instrumental section with a little sax and then the drums crash with the guitar for emphasis is great, and the drums really anchor the song at the various emphasis points.

Agree. Not a very long breakdown, but it totally works.

The 12” mix is a bit too ADHD for me to enjoy. Too many elements. That’s the same issue with the Kick Ass mix of Guns In The Sky.

Kick is a pop album played by a club band who’s really honed their chops over years of work, and it shows. By the time they recorded this LP INXS had been playing together for 8-10 years, right? So as they progressed and added pop elements they still maintained this uncanny ability to add little bits and hooks into each song that you simply aren’t going to get with a 4-piece band or some session musicians who just met. These guys seem almost telepathic when they are hitting on all cylinders as they do on this album.

9. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

New Sensation is fantastic. The circular guitar riffs. The lyrics and their sensational delivery - “the sun comes like a god into our room.” The insistent rhythm. The sensational chorus and uthe touches of sax. The simple but compelling melody. It all adds up to a superb pop song, one that's stood the test of time and is a joy to hear more than 30 years after its release.
    Michael's vocals on this album are masterful. He gets inside every song, elevating every track, without exception. And that's saying something, because the instrumental playing is something to hear.

10. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

New Sensation is about as close to classic pop rock song perfection as you're going to get. Every single thing about this track works. Whether it's Kirk's anchored danceable guitar riff, Tim's telecaster & stratocaster riffs / fills and solo (reminiscent of GITS), Jon's drum beats, Michael's excellent baritone vocal delivery, or Kirk's, now almost signature, short but sweet sax solo. And I love how the laser-like red & blue graphics intertwined with the performance shots in the music video completely elevates the sensation of how awesome the song is. NS is yet another quintessential INXS song.

INXS - New Sensation - YouTube

The New Sensation 12" mix, as well as the Guns In The Sky's Kookaburra & Kick Ass mixes are relatively enjoyable, but don't add much to how amazing the original versions are.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  11. mark winstanley

"Devil Inside"

[​IMG]
    Cover art for mainly Australian editions
    Single by INXS
    from the album Kick
    Released
    February 1988
    Recorded 1987
    Genre Alternative rock
    Length 3:55 (Single Version)
    5:11 (Album Version)
    Label Atlantic
    Songwriter(s) Andrew Farriss
    Michael Hutchence
    Producer(s) Chris Thomas

"Devil Inside" is a song by Australian band INXS. The song was written by Andrew Farriss and Michael Hutchence and is one of INXS's best known songs.

It was released as a single in February 1988. The song was most successful in the US, going to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks, behind, for a single week each, "Get Outta My Dreams, Get into My Car" by Billy Ocean and "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" by Whitney Houston. "Devil Inside" then went on to peak at #47 in the United Kingdom, #20 in France, #25 in Ireland, #6 in Australia and #3 in Canada.

Guitarist and saxophone player Kirk Pengilly stated in an interview that he did not like the music video for "Devil Inside," because he thought that it was "too American."[citation needed]

The video was filmed in Balboa, California and directed by Joel Schumacher.

The song was featured in the film Rock Star and TV show Hindsight.

On 19 March 2014, HBO released the final trailer for the fourth season of Game of Thrones, featuring London Grammar's version of "Devil Inside".[1]

7" single
    1. "Devil Inside" (7" Version (5:11) or Single Version (3:55))
    2. "On the Rocks" (3:05)
    12" maxi
    1. "Devil Inside" (Remix Version) (6:36)
    2. "Devil Inside" (7" Version (5:11) or Single Version (3:55))
    3. "On the Rocks" (3:05)
    CDS
    1. "Devil Inside" (Remix Version) (6:36)
    2. "Devil Inside" (7" Version) (5:11)
    3. "On the Rocks" (3:05)
    Chart (1988) Peak
    position

Australian Singles Chart[2] 6
    Canada Top Singles (RPM)[3] 3
    French Singles Chart[4] 20
    German Singles Chart[5] 33
    Irish Singles Chart[6] 25
    UK Singles Chart[7] 47
    U.S. Billboard Hot 100[8] 2
    U.S. Billboard Album Rock Tracks 2
    U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales 32
    Year-end charts[edit]

Chart (1988) Position
    United States (Billboard)[9][10] 46
    -------------------------------------------------------
    It's such a shame this didn't manage to roll into number one in the US, and I am surprised it didn't do better in other charts around the world, though it still did well.

This is a very good song... it opens with an almost Two Low For Zero kind of sound, with the marimba? fake marimba? .... but quickly develops its own personality.

[Verse 1]
    Here comes the woman, with the look in her eye
    Raised on leather, with flesh on her mind

Words as weapons, sharper than knives
    Makes you wonder, how the other half die? Other half die
    Makes you wonder, wonder, wonder

Here come the man, with the look in his eye
    Fed on nothing, but full of pride

Look at them go, look at them kick
    Makes you wonder, how the other half live

[Hook]
    The devil inside, the devil inside
    Every single one of us the devil inside

The devil inside, the devil inside
    Every single one of us the devil inside

[Verse 2]
    Here come the world, with the look in its eye
    Future uncertain, but certainly slight
    Look at the faces, listen to the bells
    It's hard to believe we need a place called hell, place called hell

[Hook]

[Verse 3]
    Here comes the woman, with the look in her eye
    Raised on leather, with flesh on her mind
    Words as weapons sharper than knives
    Makes you wonder, how the other half die

[Hook x2]

[Outro]
    The devil inside, yeah, yeah, yeah
    The devil inside, yeah, yeah, yeah

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Andrew Farriss
    Devil Inside lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group, BMG Rights Management

Lyrically I like this song, although it is not quite as pointed as it could be, it does make the true statement that every single one of us has the ability to commit evil acts, and in a world full of virtue signalling hypocrites currently speaking in a manner more self-righteous than can really be believed, I think it is important to face the reality of who we are capable of being. Every single one of us can easily fall into evil acts, if we kid ourselves that we are all just lovely people, standing on some faux, high moral ground .... anyway...

I like the way the single chord comes in, and then after a slight pause, we get the fairly simple but very effective guitar riff.
    Again we see the band's ability to arrange their songs so very well.
    Really nice use of melody, and the "makes you wonder" change is a really nice chord progression from the main theme.

Of course this song has a Kick reference that relates to the album title.

Michael gives us this sultry breathy vocal that oozes a sort of, sensuality, and every now and then bursts out in a full throated vocal, again a really nice piece of work, and tied into the arrangement.

The change that leads into the instrumental break, that works its way into a really nice melodic lead break is excellent.

I also like the building out-chorus section. I think it really brings the song home well.

12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

Here we have the radio edit, with about a minute and a half removed

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

On The Rocks

This is the b-side, and it sort of starts like the track Fever .... Peggy Lee, Elvis, whoever takes your fancy there.
    We kind of move into this cool semi-jazz, swing type thing.
    Very understated and I actually enjoy this track

15. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Devil Inside 5/5. Another top song to me. Like the pulse of the song as it feels like a heartbeat, of the Devil, perhaps... This song, as with many others, were unescapable during this time. Every single bar, night-club, or hour on MTV, it was there. It took me years to listen to this with an open ear. The video was a bit poor to me. It deserved better.

On The Rocks 3/5. Good B-Side chance.

16. mark winstanley

Devil Inside 12" remix/extended mix

Instantly we can hear different sounds, different reverbs and such used on the marimba sound and the guitar.
    We get an elongated instrumental opening and it has a sort of building feel.
    Then we get a vocal that also has a different reverb on it, and some delay. Also the backing is altered slightly.
    We get the third verse braking down to a percussive backing and the ping ponging delay on the vocal adds another dimension.
    Thankfully the instrumental section remains intact and it is followed by a neat little extended instrumental bit.
    We get a slightly extended ouro, and some pretty cool effects on it also.
    I like the fact that they avoided the chop up thing, and it makes this a much more palatable remix for me.

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I love Kick as a whole, but "Devil Inside" was never a highlight for me. The chorus seems a bit repetitive and not as melodic as their best stuff. It keeps the juggernaut rolling but I'm really just getting psyched to hear "Need You Tonight" next.

18. I Have never heard this before... I like it....

19. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Devil Inside

I fell in love with this song and listened to it a LOT for at least a year while Kick had its initial chart run. Looking back at it now, the song stands out as a tour-de-force of guitar parts. Try listening to it for just the guitar: each section of the song has its own unique riffs and signature fills. The main riff is a callback to the Listen Like Thieves guitar sound, but somewhat more restrained. But I have the impression that this song has perhaps more guitar parts and different segments than just about any other song I can think of by INXS. And at 2:50 we get an excellent guitar solo - somewhat extended by their standards at almost 20 seconds. It’s perfect.

The momentum built up over the song’s length is considerable. The percussion and rhythm sound slightly exotic, but what really sells the song is the way Hutchence excels on vocals. He starts out low and husky, and ushers us through the song note by raising his voice but almost by giving us an insistent soft-sell. Compared to the rest of Kick, Devil Inside is epic in length at over 5 minutes and it earns every second. By the time we get to the ending with it almost feels triumphant - odd for a song about the dark side of our nature, but somehow they pull that off too.

This is the song that gives Kick some gravitas. Without it the album would feel a lot more pop, but with it the album is anchored by this track that both refers to their old sound and steps forward into their newer mythologizing with MH as lead-man extraordinaire.

The 12” mix by Francois Kevorkian is well done. This is the same guy who remixed the big hits off Listen Like Thieves as well as a lot of other rock acts in the 80’s such as U2’s “New Years Day” and “Two Hearts Beat As One”. Read the fine print on 12” singles and you’ll see his name on a lot of the great ones throughout the decade. His specialty seemed to be taking singles from rock bands and reworking them for the clubs without destroying the song in the process. By the 90’s he was doing most of the big Depeche Mode mixes off of the Violator album.

20. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I can't express how much I love Devil Inside. The way it builds is absolutely stunning. It starts quietly but insistently. Yet again Michael gets right inside the lyrics and makes the listener live them. And then it explodes into that fabulous guitar solo, another verse, and a killer coda with a rhythm that just won’t quit. This is an incredible track that gives me chills every time I hear it. Never mind an album highlight, it's a music highlight for me.

21. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

We apparently feel the same way about this one. This is THE song. The rest of the album is pretty darn good but this the one I’ve always put on for random plays.

22. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Devil Inside is another instant classic pop rock song. Tim's signature talbo guitar riff, might just be the superstar here. And to this day, it remains immediately recognizable. Surprisingly, the chorus doesn't significantly emotionally elevate the track, as most choruses usually do. Instead, it reverses this affect and establishes a quieter mood. I figure this was to make the listener concentrate on the lyric content. Interesting and unique...and very enjoyable. Michael's close mike vocal techniques are on full display here (something Bono loved about his singing). Simply stunning. Kirk's solo is probably my favourite INXS guitar solo of all time. Perfection. The last 90 or so seconds, as the song ever so slowly leads you to the extended outro, is one of its best sections. Especially since you don't want it to end. And the music video also completely enhances the mood of the song ten fold. DI is a grand slam home run out of the park!

The Devil Inside 12" remix/extended mix, is one of INXS' better remixes because of how it fleshes out most of the instrumental parts, in some instances, even better than in the original mix.

On The Rocks has a cool, smooth, jazzy lounge-lizard type of feel to it, without fully exploring that particular style. I dig it.

23. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

New Sensation: Simply put, it's another outstanding iconic track from the band. Everything is great here: the guitar fills, the rhythm section. It's pop perfection.

Devil Inside: I can hear the steam coming off this one. This blistering rocker is a personal favorite of mine. The tribal drumming, the energizing guitar riffs and a bouncy keyboard pinging away. Add Micheal's delivery of the lyrics and I'm sold. It's a fun track and remains a playlist favorite.

24. mark winstanley

"Need You Tonight"

[​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album Kick
    B-side
    "I'm Coming (Home)" "Mediate" (music video)
    Released 23 September 1987 1 June 2005 (remixes)
    Genre Funk rock[1]
    Length 3:00
    Label Atlantic Mercury WEA
    Songwriter(s) Andrew Farriss Michael Hutchence
    Producer(s) Chris Thomas

"Need You Tonight" is the first single to be released worldwide from Australian rock band INXS's 1987 album, Kick, as well as the fourth song on the album. It is the only INXS single to reach No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. It also achieved their highest charting position in the United Kingdom, where the song reached number two on the UK Singles Chart; however, this peak was only reached after a re-release of the single in November 1988. On its first run on the UK charts in October 1987, it stalled at No. 58. It was one of the last songs recorded for the album, yet it would arguably become the band's signature song.

In February 2014, after the Channel 7 screening of the INXS: Never Tear Us Apart mini-series, "Need You Tonight" charted again in Australia via download sales. It peaked at No. 28 on the ARIA Singles Chart.[2] In January 2018, as part of Triple M's "Ozzest 100", the 'most Australian' songs of all time, "Need You Tonight" was ranked number 69.[3]

7" LP SINGLE – 7-89188 Atlantic/USA
    7" LP SINGLE – 888813-7 Mercury/Europe
    7" LP SINGLE – INXS8 Mercury/UK
    7" LP SINGLE – PD 2573 Mercury/South Africa
    7" LP SINGLE – 7-258181 WEA/Australia
    7" LP SINGLE – P-2337 WEA/Japan
    1. "Need You Tonight" – 3:01
    2. "I'm Coming (Home)" – 4:54
    7" LP SINGLE – INXSRA8 Mercury/UK
    2. "Need You Tonight" (Mendelsohn Extended Mix) – 7:02
    7" LP SINGLE – INXS12 Mercury/UK (OCT 1988)
    7" LP SINGLE – INXSG12 Mercury/UK Special 7" Magic Pack
    2. "Move On" – 4:47
    7" LP SINGLE – INXRA12 Mercury/UK
    2. "Need You Tonight" (Mendelsohn 7" Mix) – 3:58
    12" LP SINGLE – 7-86645-0 Atlantic/USA
    12" LP SINGLE – INXS812 Mercury/UK
    12" LP SINGLE – 0-258181 WEA/Australia
    2. "Mediate" – 2:35
    3. "I'm Coming (Home)" – 4:53
    12" LP SINGLE – 0-258076 WEA/Australia
    2. "Need You Tonight" (Mendelsohn Extended Mix) – 7:02
    3. "Mediate" – 2:35
    4. "I'm Coming (Home)" – 4:53
    5. "Move On" – 4:47
    6. "Kiss the Dirt (Falling Down the Mountain)" – 3:54

12" LP SINGLE – INXS1212 Mercury/UK (OCT 1988)
    1. "Need You Tonight" (Mendelsohn Extended Mix) – 7:02
    3. "Kiss the Dirt (Falling Down the Mountain)" – 3:54
    12" LP SINGLE – INXSR1212 Mercury/UK (OCT 1988)
    1. "Need You Tonight" (Ben Liebrand Mix) – 7:18
    3. "New Sensation" (Extended Mix) – 6:30
    CD3 – 10SW-2 WEA/Japan
    2. "I'm Coming (Home)" (Edit) – 4:12
    CD5 – INXCD8 Mercury/UK
    CD5 – 888 813-2 Mercury/Germany
    3. "I'm Coming (Home)" – 4:53
    CD VIDEO SINGLE – O80394-2 Mercury/UK
    1. "Tiny Daggers" – 3:20
    3. "Need You Tonight" – 3:01
    4. "I'm Coming (Home)" – 4:53
    5. "Need You Tonight" (video) – 3:50
    CD5 – INXCD12 (872 215-2) Mercury/UK
    1. "Need You Tonight" (Mendelsohn Mix Edit) – 5:11
    3. "Original Sin" – 5:19
    4. "Don't Change" – 4:24
    Maxi CD single

1. "Need You Tonight" – 3:05
    2. "Don't Dream It's Over" – 4:00
    3. "Need You Tonight" (Extended version) – 6:36
    4. "Need You Tonight" (Remix) – 4:03
    Weekly charts
    Chart (1987–1988) Peak
    position
    Australia (Kent Music Report)[5]
    Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)[6] 16
    Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)[7] 9
    Canada Top Singles (RPM)[8] 2
    France (SNEP)[9] 10
    Germany (Official German Charts)[10] 16
    Ireland (IRMA)[11] 2
    Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)[12] 11
    Netherlands (Single Top 100)[13] 12
    New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)[14] 3
    South Africa (Springbok Radio)[15] 5
    UK Singles (OCC)[16] 2
    US Billboard Album Rock Tracks[17] 12
    US Billboard Hot 100[17] 1
    US Billboard Hot Black Singles[17] 73
    US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play[17] 7
    US Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales[17] 10
    US Cash Box[18] 1
    Chart (2006) Peak
    position
    US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play1[17]
    US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play2[17] 24
    Chart (2014) Peak
    position
    Australia (ARIA)[2]
    • 1 Static Revenger/Koishii & Hush Mixes
    • 2 Remixes

Year-end charts
    Chart (1987) Position
    Australia (Kent Music Report)[19]
    New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)[20] 43
    Chart (1988) Position
    Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)[21]
    Europe (Eurochart Hot 100 Singles)[22] 51
    US Billboard Hot 100[23] 2
    US Cash Box[24] 16
    Chart (1989) Position
    Europe (Eurochart Hot 100 Singles)[25]
    All-time charts
    Chart (1958–2018) Position
    US Billboard Hot 100[26]
    Certifications
    Region Certification Certified units/sales
    Australia (ARIA)[27]
    Gold 35,000^
    United Kingdom (BPI)[28] Gold 400,000[​IMG]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    So wiki beat me to the punch, I was going to say that this is likely Inxs's signature song.

This song exploded onto the scene as the lead single from Kick, and certainly didn't hurt sales of the album.
    I remember this song coming out, and I particularly remember dancing with a girl I liked to this song at the White Sands Tavern at Scarborough Beach back in the day ... but that's another thing altogether ... and she was just humouring me lol

This song is almost like a culmination of the funk and rock elements of the band coming to fruition in one of the best grooves they ever managed to come out with.

As we see from the info up there this song was released everywhere, and did really well.... It also interested me that this was the number two single on the year end charts in the US in 1987. No mean feat for a humble Aussie band.

We start with a nice drum beat and the now famous "Come Over Here" whispered. This leads into the now pretty much iconic three punch rhythm guitar with the chord run down following.
    Then we move into the clucky little guitar riff, that unites with the bass and drum groove, and is accented by a cool synth chord at the end of each phrase.

A rock solid intro, that few music fans of the era would be unaware of.

All you got is this moment
    Twenty-first century's yesterday
    You can care all you want
    Everybody does yeah that's okay

So slide over here
    And give me a moment

Your moves are so raw
    I've got to let you know
    I've got to let you know
    You're one of my kind

I need you tonight
    Cause I'm not sleeping
    There's something about you girl
    That makes me sweat

How do you feel?
    I'm lonely
    What do you think?
    Can't think at all
    Whatcha gonna do?
    Gonna live my life

So slide over here
    And give me a moment

Your moves are so raw
    I've got to let you know
    I've got to let you know
    You're one of my kind

I need you tonight
    Cause I'm not sleeping
    There's something about you girl
    That makes me sweat

How do you feel?
    I'm lonely
    What do you think?
    Can't think at all
    Whatcha gonna do?
    Gonna live my life
    How do you feel?
    I'm lonely
    What do you think?
    Can't think at all
    Whatcha gonna do?
    Gonna live my life

So slide over here
    And give me a moment

Your moves are so raw
    I've got to let you know
    I've got to let you know
    You're one of my kind
    So slide over here
    And give me a moment

Your moves are so raw
    I've got to let you know
    I've got to let you know
    You're one of my kind

Songwriters: Andrew Charles Farriss / Michael Kelland Hutchence
    Need You Tonight lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group, Bucks Music Group

The lyrical message here is pretty straight forward. This is like one of the ultimate chat up line songs.

Again the thing that shines (like it does) in this song is the arrangement. The sections of guitar and keyboards just draw the listener in.
    The emphatic vocal from Hutchence seemed to send a lot of the ladies weak at the knees. He delivered them with a lot of personality, and they literally go from a whisper to a scream, and are just another aspect to this song that work perfectly.

Although this song got played so, so much, I think it still stands as the stand out track from this album.

Even the ending of the song with the musical tacet, and Hutchence leading us out with "You're One Of My Kind" is just a perfect piece of arrangement. The band were locked into it at the point in time, and this song just works.

25. mark winstanley

Mediate

It seems in context we need to look at Mediate at the same time as Need You Tonight. Linked on the album, and also released as a long music video including both tracks, they seem somewhat united in my mind.

I must say that although I liked the Bob Dylan tip of the hat in the video, this never really did that much for me. It was a neat idea, but not a favourite of mine.

Hallucinate, desegregate
    Mediate, alleviate
    Try not to hate

Love your mate
    Don't suffocate on your own hate

Designate your love as fate
    A one-world state as human freight
    The number eight
    A white black state
    A gentle trait, the broken crate
    A heavy weight or just too late
    Like pretty Kate has sex ornate
    Now devastate, appreciate
    Depreciate, fabricate
    Emulate

The truth dilate
    Special date, the animal we ate
    Guilt debate, the edge serrate
    A better rate, the youth irate
    Deliberate, fascinate
    Deviate, reinstate
    Liberate to moderate
    Recreate or detonate
    Annihiliate, atomic fate

Mediate, clear the state
    Activate, now radiate

A perfect state, food on plate
    Gravitate, the Earth's own weight
    At ninety-eight we all rotate

Hallucinate, desegregate
    Mediate, alleviate
    Try not to hate, love your mate
    Don't suffocate on your own hate
    A one world state as human freight
    The number eight, a white black state
    A gentle trait, the broken crate
    A heavy weight or just too late
    Like pretty Kate has sex ornate
    Now devastate, appreciate
    Depreciate, fabricate
    Emulate, the truth dilate
    Special date, the animals we ate
    Guilt debate, the edge serrate
    A better rate, the youth irate
    Deliberate, fascinate
    Deviate, reinstate

Liberate, to liberate

Songwriters: Andrew Farriss
    Mediate lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

We open with the Need You Tonight beat, which quickly turns around into another beat, and the beat works well.
    The is layered with synth pads, and an effected vocal from Hutchence that is delivered in a semi-talk vocal.

This was always a track that some folks absolutely loved and some folks didn't like....

We get a nice subtle bit of sax to add some colour in the fade.