INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

It’s a shame that the video version of the song has never been issued officially in any other format. Even on the 30th anniversary uber-special-super deluxe that cleaned up all the odds and ends.

2. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I was standing. You were there. Two worlds collided. And they could Never Tear Us Apart. Again, chills, because the marriage of the intense music and stunning vocal delivery simply works perfectly. And on top of that we get such a great little sax solo. Our thread host covered this very well - this is top-notch INXS.

3. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Never Tear Us Apart

Released as the 4th single long after the album, this is a song I had liked for a year - and THEN it got saturation airplay on MTV and radio to the point where I got tired of it. Very few songs that I like have ever worn me out from too much airplay, but this is one of them. 30+ years on I can listen and appreciate it for the classic that it is.

The great vocal performance, with lines such as “we all have wings/but some of us don’t know why”. The great sax break. The crashing drum entrances. The guitar with that simple “dum dum de dum”. All of it adds up to another hook-laden track.

An underrated aspect of the song is the background vocals, singing lines that are somewhat in response to Hutchence’s but not repeating them. Almost completing his sentences for him, but almost starting them in some cases. REM used this technique for background vocals a lot and it was always an intriguing part of their songs. Very cool to see INXS doing s similar thing here as well.

4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Great song. Whenever I hear it I think of how long they would drag out the breaks live...at one point I think Garry even used it for a wardrobe change, ha.

5. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Never Tear Us Apart 5/5 -- new level for INXS. One of the outstanding songs and highlights of their career. It can be played by any single instrument and instantly recognizable. This aspect is the sign of a good song and a credit to their workmanship and unity as a band.

6. Bluepicasso

One last note on Never Tear Us Apart. Forgot to add it as I have been busy "at telework" and hit send before I could stop and got side-tracked. We can discuss this later on after Michael's death, but perhaps we should address it here. This song is rumored to be about his girlfriend whom he split up with, and she was the last person he spoke to, I think, via phone. When thinking about this song now, it really has an impact due to this. Perhaps, she was his only true love, who knows? But the underlying facts of this song with this story give it an impact that I think no other song Michael has done has.

7. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

I watched the Michael Hutchence documentary Mystify again last night. Michelle Bennett I believe is the gal in question. It seems like, based on the very candid participation of his past girlfriends in the film, that he parted on good terms with all of them. In the case of Michelle Bennett, who was indeed the last person he spoke to, their relationship was before he became a superstar so I wonder if that played a role in how special she seemed to be to him.

Never Tear Us Apart is just a brilliant song isn't it? Great sax part. Perfect arrangement. Drums crack and a wonderfully delivered somewhat Jaggeresque at times vocal. Arguable, their greatest song (it's in my top 5).

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

One of few 80's songs where I genuinely feel like the saxophone was the right choice for the solo. A perfect track on an album full of them.

9. Bluepicasso

==
    Yes, Kirk's sax is inspiring. As I stated before here, he needs more of a shout out for his playing. It's a very hard instrument to play, and I give him a lot of credit.

10. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Never Tear Us Apart just might be my favourite ballad or love song of all time. It's extremely poignant on all levels: emotionally, vocally, lyrically & instrumentally. Michael sings with such great longing and sincerity. And he probably sounds better here than he ever has before. I really like Jon's drum role right before Kirk plays his signature sax solo with such immense passion, that it was as if it were his last ever solo. The dynamics here are absolutely amazing. And of course, the footage from Prague in the music video, in particular, naturally add to that. When you analyze music history, not many songs of this texture or caliber exist, let alone are written very often. NTUA is another truly quintessential and classic INXS song - a grand slam home run out of the park!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

"Mystify"
    [​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album Kick
    Released
    Length 3:17
    Label WEA
    Songwriter(s) Michael Hutchence Andrew Farriss
    Producer(s) Chris Thomas

"Mystify" is a song by Australian rock band INXS and is the fifth (and last) single from their 1987 album Kick.[1]

The song was written by Andrew Farriss and Michael Hutchence as part of the first sessions for Kick. The song was first previewed to Australian audiences on the Australian Made tour in January 1987.

• UK 7"
    1. "Mystify" (LP version)
    2. "What You Need" (12" Remix)
    • UK 12" single
    2. "Need You Tonight" (Ben Liebrand Remix)
    3. "Devil Inside" (Extended Remix)
    4. "Listen Like Thieves" (Album Version)
    • UK 12" global tour pack
    1. "Mystify" (LP Version)
    2. "Biting Bullets"
    3. "Shine Like It Does" (Live)
    4. "Never Tear Us Apart" (Live)
    • European 7"
    2. "Need You Tonight" (Mendelsohn 7" Edit)
    • European 12" single
    1. "Mystify"
    2. "Need You Tonight" (Mendelsohn 7" Edit)
    3. "Shine Like It Does" (Live)
    4. "Never Tear Us Apart" (Live)
    • UK CDS
    3. "Listen Like Thieves" (Album Version)
    4. "Devil Inside" (Extended Remix)
    • German CDS
    3. "Listen Like Thieves" (Album Version)
    4. "Devil Inside" (Extended Remix)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All veils and misty
    Streets of blue
    Almond looks
    That chill divine
    Some silken moment
    Goes on forever
    And we're leaving broken hearts behind

Mystify
    Mystify me
    Mystify
    Mystify me

I need perfection
    Some twisted selection
    That tangles me
    To keep me alive

In all that exists
    None have your beauty
    I see your face
    I will survive

Mystify
    Mystify me
    Mystify
    Mystify me

You're eternally wild with the power
    To make every moment come alive
    All those stars that shine upon you
    Will kiss you every night

All veils and misty
    Streets of blue
    Almond looks
    That chill divine
    Some silken moment
    Goes on forever
    And we're leaving
    Yeah we're leaving broken hearts behind

Mystify
    Mystify me
    Mystify
    Mystify me

You're eternally wild with the power
    To make every moment come alive
    All those stars that shine upon you
    And they'll kiss you every night

Mystify
    Mystify me
    Mystify
    Mystify me
    Mystify
    Mystify me
    Mystify

Songwriters: Andrew Charles Farriss / Michael Kellan Hutchence
    Mystify lyrics © Chardonnay Investments Ltd., Xl Publishing Pty. Ltd., Inxs Publishing Pty. Ltd., Chardonnay Investments Ltd

This is one of my favourites on here, and when they played the big day out, it instantly appealed to me.
    I had some connection issues this morning, so sorry about the brevity, I know you guys can wrap it up for us.

Great song.

Binni, ARK, The MEZ and 7 others like this.
  12. mark winstanley

Video

Not sure if this was released as a video, but it is very cool.

13. Bluepicasso

Mystify - 5/5. Another song in the final string of classic material. Bluesy, ballsy, and beautiful. Great sequencing that this follows the previous song. Michael's lyrics perfectly suit the song. Andrew and him made a great team. Poor Andrew probably thinks about this time in the video above and imagines "what could have other songs been." When people mock INXS, they forget the genius of songs like this. This song stands the test of time and can be adapted to any form of music.

14. blastfurniss

Well put. I don't think I gave them enough credit as a songwriting team until recently. Mystify, to my ears, features some of Hutchence's best lyrics particularly that opening verse. He sings it with confidence, soul and a bit of mystery. Even though I'm not particularly enamored with audience singalongs, Mystify works beautifully live. There's a reason this song served as the title of the Michael Hutchence documentary.

15. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Mystify

Love the piano work on this one. And I know some folks don’t like the electronic drums, but they make great accents at certain particular points in this song.

The “Chicago demo” they released is not too shabby either:

Rough around the edges, particularly the drums, but it’s a good start

16. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

While it’s not my favorite track on Kick, Mystify rolls along so well, and the sense of devotion the singer feels to his woman is palpable. On any normal album this would be the best track - most bands wouldn’t come up with one song this good in a career. Here it's just another really good one.

17. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

This is a great song, and yet it is buried on side two of the LP with that other monster track Never Tear Us Apart. Kick has a superb end-of-album sequence that I don’t think they matched on any later albums. The 2nd half of Shabooh Shoobah is really strong and so too with The Swing. After Kick you saw a lot more focus on CD tracklistings instead of the LP and it shows: the hits get more front-loaded.

18. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yeah, Kick is so strong end-to-end that the greatness of something like "Mystify" almost blends in. When listened to alone it really shines.

19. Bluepicasso

--
    That's a great documentary by the way.

20. blastfurniss

It really is. The level of cooperation from the band, the family and everyone else who knew him is impressive. Really seems like a warts and all look at the man. Not to derail this thread but knowing how his life ended, I wasn't particularly keen on on revisiting that. What I wasn't prepared for was the fallout and lasting damage due to the skull fracture and brain injury. Served as a reminder of how fragile we all are and how one moment can change your life forever.

21. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Mystify exudes a unique bluesy Fats Domino-styled piano intro. Brilliant. Michael's perseveringly sensual lyrics and baritone vocal delivery are stellar. Tim & Kirk's guitar riffs / fills fit like a glove and are as complimentary as you can imagine. And despite the lack of a hook in the chorus, this is yet another pop rock classic from INXS. Mystify is a fantastic example of how great Andrew & Michael were as writers.

22. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Another MH doc that you should probably check out if you haven't already, is entitled, The Last Rockstar (2017). It wasn't approved by the band. But it's about one hour longer than Mystify and includes more in-depth interviews from good friends and people who knew Michael well...

Michael Hutchence The Last (True) Rock Star! (Part 1) - YouTube

Michael: The Last Rockstar (pt. 2) - YouTube

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  23. mark winstanley

Kick

We open with a nice synth swell, and then burst into a cool power chord set up, with faux horns?.... anyway, it sounds good and is very effective.

I look around unsatisfied
    At what they're giving me
    Then I think to myself
    Is there someone else
    Who feels the same as me
    Do you feel the same baby

When my back is broken
    When the mountain moves away
    All the dreams and promises
    That we give
    We give away

Sometimes you kick
    Sometimes you get kicked
    Sometimes you kick
    Sometimes you get kicked

Look ahead
    But don't mix it up
    Baby look ahead
    To better days and better ways
    Make peace with flesh and blood
    Make peace with your love
    Nothing more I could ask of you
    But In the end this is the truth

When my back is broken
    When the mountain moves away
    All the dreams and promises
    That we give
    We give away

Sometimes you kick
    Sometimes you get kicked
    Sometimes you kick
    Sometimes you get kicked

Sometimes you kick
    Sometimes you get kicked, oh

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Andrew Farriss
    Kick lyrics © Chardonnay Investments Ltd., Inxs Publishing Pty. Ltd.

This is probably among my favourite tracks on here, particularly non-singles.
    I somewhat revisits the bands early ska leanings from the early material during the verses, and then we get this powerhouse chorus, and that really sells this song to me.
    Another thing is, finishing on an unresolved chord ... when done properly the unresolved chord tends to make you want to hear the song again.

Again the arrangement is top notch.
    We get a short sax lead with just the drums, and it emphasises the power section that comes after it.

I really enjoy this track, and think it works well. Michael again lays down a great vocal.

24. mark winstanley

Just for something slightly different,

Inxs Live in Toronto August 6th 1988 Exibition Stadium Digitally Stabilized Setlist:
    What You Need
    Guns in the Sky
    Tiny Daggers
    Mystify
    The Loved One
    Original Sin
    Shine Like It Does
    Wild Life
    Listen Like Thieves
    Kiss The Dirt
    This Time
    Burn For You
    The One Thing
    New Sensation
    Calling All Nations
    Devil Inside
    Kick
    I Need You Tonight
    Mediate
    Never Tear Us Apart

25. Bluepicasso

Kick -- 5/5. Another great song. There are numerous references to the word Kick on this album, and we finally reach the song. Tight, intricately woven, it is good firm rock that other bands would try to emulate, such as the Rolling Stones, who like this style too. That, in itself, is a high-regard. When Mick and Keith take notice, it's an accolade, This should have been a single too!