INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

—-
    Agree. Like your new selfie!

mark winstanley and Al Gator like this.
  2. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I think the album finishes strongly, but admittedly this track does feel like filler.

mark winstanley and Al Gator like this.
  3. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

Listened to X again today for the first time in years.

Hmm. It's not great is it?

4. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

Hope you don't mind me catching up a little…

The Stairs
    This track is simply epic, and one of my all-time favorites from this band. I'm a huge fan of the band James, who are masters of the slow-burn in their songs. No wonder “The Stairs” appeals to me so much.

Faith in Each Other
    This one’s just okay for me. I like it well enough, but it’s just terribly memorable in any way.

By My Side
    I adore this song. I get the comparisons to “Never Tear Us Apart” because it’s the album’s Big Love Ballad™, but I think it’s a way different song. I love how the song flips between dark (verses) and light (chorus). I think it’s a truly beautiful song.

Who Pays the Price
    Kinda like “Faith in Each Other”, this one is just okay. I don’t mind it, but it really doesn’t appeal to me much.

Know the Difference
    I’ve never really understood this song. Don’t really know what they were going for here. It feels like one of their experimental b-sides that got fleshed out and included on the album. There’s a ton of way better INXS than this.

5. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

The problem with Know The Difference, despite being well-produced, is that it's just an average song, especially lyrically. However, I enjoy the melodies and the dichotomy between the sheet-of-ice, distorted & wah-wah guitar effects and how Tim & Kirk trade riffs, as well as Kirk's saxophone lines/fills, etc. But I think KTD could've been better.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Never a problem for you to catch up mate. That's why Sunday is a break day, so you don' have to rush.

I think I pretty much agree with everything you said there

7. Archon

Archon Forum Resident

X is by far my favourite INXS album.

8. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Not a fan of this one. First song on the album that gets a low mark from me. 5/10 It's not terrible, but it's not particularly interesting either. Quite generic for these guys. I always skip it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

I think you're the first one...;)

10. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

I'm actually surprised that more people haven't claimed it's their favourite. I was expecting to be in the minority in finding it underwhelming. I assumed it was better-regarded as a whole piece. It seems like people really like lots of the individual songs, but the album itself doesn't seem to be everyone's favourite part of the 'story'.

Most good bands are good stories, hence why I get cautious with things like Paul trying to rehabilitate Let it Be with a new happier edit. Let it Be has to be Let it Be so Abbey Road can be the redemption*. And probably why post-Michael INXS is such a minefield no matter how good the singer is; the story is essentially finished, all else is epilogue. I think that's why there were lots of comments about Max Q even thought opinions were divided on the music itself: a juicier part of the story.

* I think it was either Neil Aspinall or Derek Taylor - an insider, either way - who first theorised about The Beatles being the first rock band as a story. He said the origin is in the very order of their names: it's not just "John Paul George Ringo", it's "John begat Paul begat George begat Ringo".

X seems to be 'very good individual songs; not a particularly interesting part of the band-as-story'.

I'm very possibly over-theorising; had a couple of beers.

11. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Speaking of catching up (deep breath)....

By My Side:
    A great ballad hands down. Great atmosphere with the music and Micheal's voice is fantastic here, which gives an extra dimension to the lyrics.

Lately: I enjoy this deep track album cut. The distinct INXS guitar sound and a catchy hook are enough for me to put on a playlist or in the case of my youth, a mixtape/

Who Pays the Price: It's not too shabby for an album cut. I like the groove and the harmonica gives it a bit of grittiness to it.

Know the Difference: I hear a callback to the Kick album sound with this one. However, it's a bit meh for my tastes, but still listenable enough for me not to skip the track.

12. I will always love X. Still have my original '90 UK vinyl. First concert was the X tour in Dublin.
    Won't have a bad word said against it !

13. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Just finding this thread. They were my favourite band as a teenager when Kick came out. I loved X as it was new INXS but in hindsight it has some great tracks but a fair bit of filler. Still the only album that I never really got into was Elegantly Wasted and that was more due to me moving on by that point

14. mark winstanley

"Bitter Tears"

[​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album X
    Released
    [​IMG]February 1991
    [​IMG]July 1991
    Recorded 1990
    Genre Alternative rock
    Length 3:49
    Label Atlantic
    Songwriter(s) Michael Hutchence, Andrew Farriss
    Producer(s) Chris Thomas

"Bitter Tears" is a single by INXS, the third Australian and fourth UK single taken from their album X. It peaked at #30 on the UK Singles Chart [1] improving on the disappointing performance of the previous single, "By My Side". The single was released to coincide with the band headlining the SummerXS concert at Wembley Stadium in July 1991, as documented in the Live Baby Live DVD.

The song was written by Andrew Farriss and Michael Hutchence as part of the sessions for the X album.

The B-sides are a live version of "Faith In Each Other" from the X album, "The Other Side", written and performed by guitarist & saxophonist Kirk Pengilly and "Soothe Me" written and performed by guitarist & keyboard player Andrew Farriss.

UK 7"
    1. "Bitter Tears" (LP Version)
    2. "Soothe Me"
    3. "Bitter Tears" (Lorimer 7" Edit)
    UK 12" Single
    1. "Bitter Tears" (12" Lorimer Remix)
    2. "Disappear" (Morales Remix)
    3. "Tears Are Bitter" (Instrumental Club Mix)
    UK 12" Special Edition (Wembley Stadium Cover)
    1. "Bitter Tears" (Lorimer 12" Mix)
    2. "Disappear (Morales 12" Mix)
    3. "Soothe Me"
    UK CDS
    1. "Bitter Tears"
    2. "Soothe Me"
    3. "Original Sin"
    4. "Listen Like Thieves" - Extended Remix
    US Maxi CD
    1. "Bitter Tears" (LP Version)
    2. "Bitter Tears" (12" Lorimer Remix)
    3. "Bitter Tears" (Instrumental)
    4. "Disappear" (Morales Remix)
    5. "The Other Side"
    Weekly charts
    Chart (1991) Peak
    position

Canada RPM Top Singles 13
    Australian ARIA Singles Chart 36
    UK Singles Chart 30
    U.S. Billboard Hot 100 46
    U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks 4
    U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks 6

Year-end charts[edit]
    Chart (1991) Position
    Canada Top Singles (RPM)[2] 99
    -------------------------------------------------------
    It is interesting to me that so far, I feel like I have read several comments saying that folks don't really think much of this song. Personally I like this track. I think it is quintessentially Inxs. It has a bouncy fun vibe, even though the lyrics aren't necessarily fun and bouncy. The sax and guitar sound so very Inxs. Andrew is playing a piano sound on the keys. Michael is giving a strong vocal..... perhaps that is where we end up though. We had all gotten so used to Inxs stepping into new territory, that the song seems to be somewhat formulaic for some .... I guess I don't worry about formulas, as long as I can connect with the song.... and for good or bad I do connect with this song.

We open with a solid beat and some crisp guitars and some layered sax, that has a simple but effective melody line.
    I really like the rhythmic change in the guitar as we move into the vocal too.

In the mist
    Of my endless search
    The best in life
    Becomes clear

The rest just begins
    To fade by itself
    That's a trick I learnt
    Though it took so long

Bitter tears taste so sweet
    I'm seeing my way
    For the first time in years
    When the love around
    Begins to suffer
    And you can't find love
    In one
    In one another
    Push away those bitter tears
    Bitter tears

And I thought I was doing no wrong
    No wrong
    And I thought I was doing no wrong
    No wrong

In the hour
    Of your needs
    Lips are trembling
    'Cause your gonna be free
    Realize what we're doing here
    The time is right to kill your fears

Bitter tears taste so sweet
    I'm seeing my way
    For the first time in years
    When the love around
    Begins to suffer
    And you can't find love
    In one
    In one another
    Bitter tears

And I thought I was doing no wrong, wrong, yeah
    Hey!
    Push away those bitter tears, yeahow!

That's what they call doing no wrong

Push away those bitter tears, yeah
    (Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh)
    Push away, push away those bitter tears
    Uhhhh huh, yeah, hey

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Andrew Farriss
    Bitter Tears lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

It seems like this song is learning to deal with a break up. It also seems to look at the fact that most guys are generally a little bewildered when the female pushes them to the curb ... I certainly understand that. It happened to me once, and I was quite bewildered. 18 years and a goodbye, with no reason. So I suppose I may be able to relate to the song lyrically or something, but I like the track anyway, and this si the first time I have even looked at the lyrics.

I guess in some ways the song doesn't do anything you wouldn't expect it to, but again that isn't necessarily something that bothers me too much. I suppose for me, I just look for a song to make a coherent musical statement, and hopefully have a lyric that either sounds the part, or is the part, as in it has some kind of story or message that I can relate to, or makes me think opr what have you.
    This isn't an amazing lyric, but it is a good lyric, and the vocal really sells it either way.

I like the way the song is structured and I think the bridge is very effective too. I like the feedback guitar when it comes in too.

I suppose the outro isn't overly inventive, but again I have no real problem.

Not the band's greatest song, but it contains all the elements one expects from Inxs and I still think it is a good song.

ARK, The MEZ, dirkster and 6 others like this.
  15. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Bitter Tears 3.5/5. Don't mind the song at all. It's good, but it blurs with the the previous ones and the next one. Michael's intensity is the highlight. Would have been better if the guitars were a bit rough, kind of distorted, more punky. It's too sanitized.

16. mark winstanley

Lorimer 12" remix

We open with a vocal that has a nice splash of reverb on it, and then move into a nice groove accented by a flute sound.
    It certainly has a clubby type mix, and although I actually like the sound of the musical arrangement, it sounds nothing like the original song.

I like the way the music is arranged in such a way as to highlight the melancholy of the vocals.

There are a couple of interesting clashes in melody ... when we get the melodic accent change in the original vocal this mix just has the same groove track going, and it creates an interesting tension.

For the most part, this starts of really quite good, and then its failure to go anywhere musically leaves it in the ho hum area for me.
    The flute lead break is pretty cool ....

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

Apparently Lorimer did a 7" remix also, but I can't seem to find that. If you can, please post it.

The other two b-sides are used from a previous single.

but we do have this

Bitter Tears instrumental remix (listed as Tears Are Bitter Instrumental remix on wiki)

I am assuming these are both the same thing ...
    Essentially this sounds extremely similar to the Lorimer remix, with all but the opening vocal taken out. A couple of minor alterations I think, but nothing particularly major.

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  18. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

"Bitter Tears" is a return to Kick-level hooks and craftsmanship. A+++++ (like Ralphie's teacher grading his theme on the Red Ryder BB gun).

19. David Jakubowski

I think the only thing “Bitter Tears” is guilty of is being too INXS-by-the-numbers. If it weren’t for their previous highs, this song would’ve been much better-received. Instead, it feels “meh” in comparison. Especially when put up against the run of hits that came before it. And frankly, it’s also a bit tame compared to many of the other tracks on X (as we’ve already discussed here). I think that on it’s own, it’s a very good song. But within the context of their career, it just doesn’t meet high expectations. Maybe that’s just me, but that’s the best explanation I can come up with as to why I’ve never really liked this song more than I do.

20. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

It's an interesting post. I think there are some very good songs here, but I also think there are several that aren't up to the quality that I expect from INXS, or sound just like songs from earlier albums. And we're in the middle of the least interesting stretch of the album right now. Speaking of which:

If I didn’t feel like I’d heard it before, Bitter Tears would be a fairly strong song. But it’s becoming clear by this point that there’s nothing new here. It’s not a bad song, but it’s nothing I’ll be anticipating.
    Believe it or not, I'd written my notes before reading this post. Obviously I agree.

21. mark winstanley

I am interested guys, so bear with me.

It seems like, and I think I have said this before .....

Up to this album the band always seemed to have changed their skin.
    - Quirky pop with a heavy ska influence - debut
    - a more settled focused album - UTC
    - a very balanced pop/rock album - Sha/shoo
    - a more synthetic keyboard driven pop/rock album - Swing
    - probably the closest to a straight rock album - LLT
    - a masterful show of refined pop/rock songwriting. That captured all of the previous elements of the band, and distilled it into something new again - kick.

So then we come to X, and it is Kick's kid brother, I suppose....

So I'm thinking, to some degree, generally bands we like, particularly post 88, maybe 93, tend to stay in a zone, and perfect it, rather than constantly branching out into new zones.
    With Inxs we got used to this sort of constant reinvention, even if only incrementally.
    So we get to X, and it seems a little stale, even though we admit, for the most part it is good, and the songs are good (generally)

Are we judging Inxs more harshly, than some other bands, because history has made us expect more from them?

Do we think the massive success of Kick, made them lose focus, and they tried to do the same again, rather than following a natural flow?

Or something else I'm missing?

I'm not disagreeing with you guys either, I feel the same way about this album, for the most part.....
    But for example, I never expected Acdc to make anything other than an Acdc album, and up to about 83/84 that was fine, but after that I was disinterested.

Idk, hope that makes sense to you.
    What do you reckon?

22. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Bitter Tears is great. It’s a superb example of what INXS does very well and did more of as they continued. It’s an upbeat R&B song with a little soul and some great horn lines. I really love the outro with the “that’s what they call/doing no wrong” lines repeated. It feels loose and celebratory and despite the title, it is not a bitter track but rather a song about looking forward and moving on into the bright(er) future. INXS aren’t breaking new territory on this track, but it is very successful on its own terms.

23. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I will say this: having lived with this album again for the past few weeks I must admit that it has risen in my estimation. I refuse to rank albums, especially with a group like INXS that was always changing, but this is a real solid piece of work that is really only let down by one song (Know The Difference), and has some that are career highlights.

I think the fact that they didn’t take much in the way of risks or explore new sounds here may have hurt them with folks such as myself that wanted something newer and/or edgier at the time of release but this is an excellent album by a group at the top of their game. X and Kick represent INXS in their most mainstream and pop-oriented configuration and just because these songs were all over the radio doesn’t mean they are less good than the criminally underplayed songs on the next 2-3 albums.

24. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I think they intentionally tried to replicate the success of Kick. And when bands do this, it rarely results in something as good as the original, and almost never as impactful. (I'm sure folks will find some exceptions...)

INXS didn't follow the same formula on their next studio album, and IMO the results are fantastic.

25. David Jakubowski

I basically agree with everything you wrote. I think "Bitter Tears" is the poster child of X. It's really pretty darn good, and there's really nothing wrong with it at all. Yet, it just doesn't quite have "it."

For the record, I really like X. It's not my favorite INXS album, but I think much of the criticism it receives is unfair. To be sure, it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary (like Welcome would be) but I don't have any problem with that at all. I just think it somehow falls short of it's apparent goal of perfecting the Kick formula – maybe that's because Kick already was already pretty darn perfect to begin with?

I dunno. I guess I'd simply chalk it up to a missing je ne sais quoi. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯