Iron Butterfly 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' MFSL Hybrid SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Well, OK, only the SACD came up when I did a search on the MOFI site. I don't know why.

2. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Just received the SACD. On first listen, it sounds very very good- the SACD is more detailed, and it has better imaging that the MFSL Gold CD.

Coricama and eelkiller like this.
  3. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

The SACD is very crankable. I sold my MFSL Gold Disc awhile ago so I can’t compare it to the new SACD, but from memory the Gold Disc comes in a distant second.

4. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Mine came today, # 143. First things first: This is not an audiophile album. Anyone who's ever heard it knows that. However, after a full listen, this will be my go-to copy from now on :). I have a feeling some may find this mastering too dull on some tracks, but to me, there is a depth to the sound that I've never heard on this album. The vocals shine here - they have the "breath of life", so to speak. In that regard, it's a winner in my book. Now, the odd part. Three tracks seem to have reversed channels: "Most Anything You Want", "Are You Happy", and the title track all have the channels backwards from what they normally are. Anyone else notice this?

5. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I'll have to check the reversed channels. I have the old MFSL gold CD still, and the new SACD #001464. I wonder why my number is so much higher than yours. Did you buy from Music Direct or from MFSL?

Well maybe that's a dumb question since I think they are shipped from the same warehouse.

6. nick99nack

I got mine from Music Direct. I preordered it possibly the day after it was announced.

7. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Same place I ordered from. And I ordered it before it was announced in the e-mail (Jan. 3).

8. nick99nack

I just checked and I ordered mine on October 2nd. It's not sold out yet on Music Direct website. The numbers may just be random.

9. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

The numbers are random. My guess is they get them in boxes and the people doing the shipping just grab any box and start packaging them. It's odd that they're going to the expense of having them numbered and then not sending the low numbers to the people who order first.

10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Low numbers are a dumb thing. Condition is more important.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Vinyl now in stock too. Good luck catching up with the Chris Bellman cut.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  12. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I’ve always been on the lookout for an early clean original US Atco which is very difficult to come by. For years I’ve been pretty happy with the original cd and the early 80’s era Atco vinyl reissue which is dead quiet.

I’m curious how good this new release sounds. I had no idea they were tackling this legend.

13. disraeli

disraeli Forum Resident

Ohhhh man. I needed dat laugh.

14. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

I, too , was always on the lookout for the earliest pressings...until I discovered the late 70's George Piros cut. They're out there.

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Yeah I got the email. MOFI says it is in stock, but still TBA on the Music Direct site. I will wait until I can order from Music Direct.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

My number is over 1400, there goes the weekend. :mudscrying:

17. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Any idea why Music Direct does not have these to ship, after all they are the parent company of MOFI. :confused:

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Just braved the snow and ice to get mine from the mailbox (my mailbox is across the street). I probably won't get to listen to it until Monday, but I am very excited to have it. I will probably put the SACD in the Rhino motion jewel case, because I love the packaging!

19. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

How is ordering directly from mofi.com for international customers? Amazon rarely has any of their titles (new) for sale.

20. art

art Senior Member

This SACD is great!

Joti Cover likes this.
  21. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Nope

Rhino

Track DR 10 10 11 12 10 10 10 10

MFSL

Track DR 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 12

Platterpus likes this.
  22. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Any updates -- confirmation, or refutation -- on the rumor started above that the channels are backwards on three tracks?

My MFSL SACD order is still on its way to me from Music Direct, and this will be my first "legit" copy of this album -- I previously only had a CD-R of the MFSL gold CD, which I will eventually fill in my collection by buying a used edition of the MFSL gold CD.

I could compare the SACD to my CD-R of the MFSL gold CD, but that's a bit of a dubious comparison, so I'm hoping someone else is willing to check out this claim with legit manufactured CD/LP editions, and confirm or refute the claim.

Thanks,
    Craig.

23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks for reminding me again.:wave:

supermd likes this.
  24. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I guess they don't want to do any free shipping on it yet.
    Might want to get an RMA for that. Mine is #001464. I hope it plays. Haven't tried it yet.

25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I ordered from Music Direct and received mine on Jan 11. They might be temporarily sold out.

John D. likes this.