Iron Maiden - Legacy Of The Beast 2018/2019 tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neonbeam, Nov 13, 2017.

1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

It would be totally impressive if they had revamped the setlists even more, take some more played staples away and play some deep cuts instead. I've liked their pace and change of new album tour, then history tour, and new album tour...
    On couple tours they've even changed things a bit but they just need to play some certain songs every tour and show, because the people want to hear them.
    But thinking that every and each time I go and see them live in concert, I never get bored or anything if any of the regulars are played, those work everytime really...and shows that they have really impressive perks and phenomenal way of playing together.
    Other than playing the usual newer songs, it was nice to hear Flight Of Icarus live on this LOTB-tour. I think taking even 1 song from long vacation back to the setlist does give the shows boost along the new songs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Agreed, I saw the 2019 leg of this tour and don't think I will go in a couple of months when it comes to my town. I wasn't crazy about the setlist before and they have made it actively worse now since I really didn't like Senjutsu.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

Exactly. Most people at a show want "hits". In 2018 For the Greater Good of God was a WTF moment for 90% of the audience.
    It is "a must", because no other Maiden song gets such an applause from the crowd. Not even The Trooper or TNOTB.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

not in the USA

5. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

Really? Didn't know that. I thought it was a global thing.
    But looking on photos from Maiden's US gigs I noticed much less youngsters than in Europe or South America, so maybe it's an age thing. Old-schoolers probably want old-school '80s stuff more than anything else.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Matthew Tate

i think you are probably right as the reason why

Sean and Rockhead like this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

this has not been my experience at all.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

As I explained earlier in my response to @Matthew Tate, I had no idea that USA was different from the rest of the world in this respect.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. walrus

it’s a good song but it’s not “the” song.

10. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

OK, I understand. From my experience as a concert participant (Poland and the Czech Republic) and bootleg listener (Europe and South America) it's usually the high point, at least in terms of crowd response. I listened only to three boots recorded in the States, two of which were from the 80s, hence my lack of knowledge of the preferences of US audience.

11. walrus

I mean, you're not missing much. Audiences here are pretty lame. But you wonder if the response is also due to the theatrics…they could have the big Eddie set piece be in “Hills” or something just as easily.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

I'm sure the theatrics also play an important role.
    Have the audiences always been lame or is it a current trend? Polish crowds were much wilder and more spontaneous in the 1990s and early 2000s than they are today. The hardcore ones near the stage still have fun, but the rest are calmer than they used to be.

13. Matthew Tate

i think rockhead nailed it too. lot less people in usa under 40 at these concerts. in europe and other countries i think the people under 40 relate "fear of the dark" as THEIR song from the classic years because i might be the first maiden song they remember hearing

slipkid, Fusionfan and Rockhead like this.
  14. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

I think that also applies to 40-year-olds. I'm 43 and I started listening to Maiden in 1989, but for many of my peers Fear of the Dark was the starting point. Now, 30-year-old kids treat the Brave New World era as classic ;)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

What has me scratching my head from listening to a handful of recordings of this tour, is mainly Bruce's timing. It seems like there's at least a point or two during any given show where he'll start a line a couple of seconds late or early. Here's an example from earlier this month:

16. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Agreed, North American audiences have always been lame, at least during my lifetime. South American audiences get the most into it, at least from various live recordings I have heard over the years.

Matthew Tate and walrus like this.
  17. walrus

I saw the Queen at Wembley video and the Freddie Mercury tribute before I was old enough to go to shows. Turns out that set a very unrealistic standard for what big shows were like. (Agreed on South America though, for sure. I know it's a big deal when acts make their way down there, and they certainly know how to show their appreciation. Love it)

The Slipperman and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

On the second leg of the Power Slave tour for Detroit with Accept things were getting rowdy and Bruce told the audience if they didn't sit down they weren't gonna play. People started ripping up the bolted chairs and pieces and throwing them at the band.
    It's the only gig I seen where Steve played hiding back at the drums. Surprising they finished the set and people didn't sit. Maiden looked tired and irritated and Bruce's voice was shot.
    That tour went on to long and must have been brutal. Six months earlier they were here with Twisted Sister. Concerts could get pretty rowdy back in history here.
    We had a rep for it. Bands used to record albums here because of the enthusiasm.
    Not anymore.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Matthew Tate and Purple like this.
  19. walrus

Is that why the Stones keep playing "You Got Me Rocking" and no one other than Mick seems to know why? :laugh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

lmao maybe

21. walrus

I grew up in the area and definitely don't remember anything particularly exciting happening, but this was the late 90's/early 2000's. Didn't feel any different than any other city's audience, really.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Things were different late 60's - 80's

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Bruce said on the last European date: "We'll see you all somewhere in time" and "We'll see you somewhere on tour"
    Might be something related to the next tour or just general way to say "we'll be back"..
    Im willing to bet and hope that the next tour will be Senjutsu + some really surprising songs in the setlist (Infinite Dreams, CSIT, SIASL, ATG?)..
    Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but anything is possible.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Neonbeam and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Score17

Score17 Forum Resident

Hope you’re right but given Harris’ poor set list choices I’m not holding my breath. I bet for the Senjustu tour we’ll get many of the same hits theyve been playing for the last few tours…who knows, maybe he’ll shoehorn in another Blaze era track …

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. walrus

I wouldn't read into anything, other than "we'll be back with another tour" which, barring any unforseen issues, of course they will be.

Matthew Tate likes this.