Iron Maiden new album, "Senjutsu" - release date September 3, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

You know, this pretty well sums up Maiden for me..... It's probably when they started using keyboards and long songs for me. I think of Seventh Son Of The Seventh Son LP.

But hey, if people are happy for a new LP, I'm happy for them...

Anonamemouse and Jimmy Agates like this.
  2. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

I can't see Rod Smallwood, etc allowing that without putting loads of physical product into people's hands at the same time, but you never know! Their entire brand centers so much around merchandise sales and they'd need it now more than ever without launching a proper album tour along with it.

Thankfully we only have to wait a couple more weeks to find out!

3. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

I remember how much people were freaking out over Somewhere in Time & Seventh Son, and then again over No Prayer & FOTD, then again with Blaze, and so on and so on. There were fans that were upset when Paul left and Bruce came in. Just seems to be the norm across their career. I've been enjoying the twists and turns along the way.

Weirwolfe, Purple and mark winstanley like this.
  4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

If it was really recorded in 2019, they should have done the teaser thing in 2020. That would've given us something to do while stuck at home.

5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I doubt all this build-up is supposed to mean something awesome is coming. They're just having a bit of fun.

As for the album itself, I doubt anybody's expecting them to make another Powerslave. The golden years are long gone. But the fact that this legendary band is alive and well and still caring enough to be making new music earns them my respect. If the next album turns out to be another one I don't play much, it's no biggie.

The way I see it, I'm much happier there being a new Iron Maiden album that I don't care about than there being no new Iron Maiden at all. Long may they run.

6. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

hmmmm....i know someone that was one of the first people for press that got to hear the album, with Steve Harris in the room and when the album was done
    the guy went up to Steve and said "is that really Eddie on the cover?" and Steve Harris replied back something to the effect of "yes, of course it's Eddie!" as if
    the press guy was a fool for even asking such a thing.

looks like another different version of Eddie to me...i never thought it wasn't Eddie,
    and i will take Steve Harris' word...if he says it's Eddie....it's Eddie.

7. Jeff Kent

Here's the interview in question:

Mark Morton at Examiner.com recently caught up with IRON MAIDEN cover artist Melvyn Grant for an exclusive interview to discuss his work on The Final Frontier album. An excerpt is available below:

Q: As there have been many different incarnations of Eddie that you have painted, how much of his metamorphosis has been your imagination, and how much was input by the band?

Grant: "Well, Derek Riggs and his style of artwork never appealed to me, so naturally I wanted to change it and do my version of Eddie. But that was stopped by Maiden, who didn’t want me to stray too far from the original style, which obviously all of the band’s fans like. You get so used to something that it becomes your 'thing,' and you fall in love with that version of Eddie. I did try to change him a bit, in a way that suited me and made me happier with it. The latest version on The Final Frontier is not Eddie, as such. I’m not going to say anything more on that, because I don’t know what Iron Maiden have got planned, so I’m not going to tread on any toes or mess up any surprises. Okay, I’ll tell you, he is actually an alien. The old Eddie might still come around."

IRON MAIDEN Cover Artist Melvyn Grant On Eddie - "The Latest Version On The Final Frontier Is Not Eddie, As Such..."

8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It's possible that art is something Melvyn Grant had done previously and still had kicking around, and Steve saw it at some point and decided it would be Maiden's next cover. So to Melvyn that creature isn't Eddie because it wasn't meant to be Eddie, but for Steve it is by plain and simple fait accompli.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

:faint:

10. Jeff Kent

"On The Final Frontier, I did various sketches based on the title alone. Then they came up with the idea of doing something on the space craft. Originally, when I did it, it wasn’t Eddie reaching in like he is; he was more meaty-like and stealthier in a more evil way. Originally, they didn’t want the space craft all ripped to shreds. They wanted it to look like a hatch had come off and there would be a skeletal crew inside. So I wanted to make Eddie almost slither in. But gradually, it molded into the more brutal one, which is what you see now.""

11. Jeff Kent

If you haven't already, I suggest you pick up a copy of Derek's book...and why not get the signed one with your own Eddie drawing. I learned a bunch of things reading it.

Run For Cover

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Personally I have enjoyed all the post 2000 Maiden albums. For me 2 or 3 are easily on par with the eighties material, although I know that's a very unpopular opinion.

I think it's probably too late now, but I sort of wish they had moved on to another producer. I don't really dislike Shirley's production, but it is a little one dimensional.

I'm hoping for a solid album, and if it is thematic, a strong well laid out theme.... but we'll see where it ends up.

13. Jeff Kent

Paging Roy Z...or Nick Raskulinecz...

14. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I will probably buy it - again.

And be dissapointed - again.

Scott222C, thebisch, Sean and 2 others like this.
  15. mark winstanley

I'm terrible at this stuff these days, but Roy Z produced Chemical Wedding? That would be a good call, I reckon.

Cosmic_Equilibrium likes this.
  16. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i still am reading it more that it is Eddie, just not a typical Eddie we would have expected....an Alien Eddie

it's still Eddie though, he even says so in both of these blurbs....it's a different version of Eddie
    even though basically almost every single album cover it's a totally different looking Eddie...

17. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I haven't really cared for a "new" Maiden album since Dance of Death, but of course I'll buy a new album anyway. Once a fanboy, always a fan boy... (SIGH)

Sean, Next Year's Man and xfilian like this.
  18. Jeff Kent

Yep he did the Halford albums too.

19. Jeff Kent

Artists...

20. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I would prefer more Shirley rather than Nick R. I hated his work with Rush, Clockwork Angels is a great album but the production was awful!

21. Bingo Bongo

I wish that when Bruce left, they would have asked Paul Di'Anno to come back instead of Blaze Bayley.....:shrug:

22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Same as the chances that they use another producer than Kevin “clothear” Shirley.

But seriously, what i hope from a new IM album at this point of their carreer, (or any old artists carreer for that matter) is that it will contain 3-4 songs i like. I am fine with that. There have been IM albums where i didn’t like one single song. The Final Frontier and Dance of Death being the culprits. Actually they kind of swing like a pendulum since BNW. So if that holds true they are now going to release yet an album i dislike. And the next again should be fine :D

23. Jeff Kent

...as long as they keep playing live.

24. mark winstanley

The only two Maiden albums I don't have lol....

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  25. Bingo Bongo

Wowza, really? You means Blazes or Di'Annos LPs??