Iron Maiden new album, "Senjutsu" - release date September 3, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Eric242

Eric242 Forum Resident

I hope they have a new producer. I dont know if Harris is getting deaf or something,but these Kevin Shirley produced album with everything in the mid,I dont get it. Same thing with Black Country Comunion,great song,but sound bad. Or maybe it is me getting deaf. To much metal concert!

Count Orfloff and Man at C&A like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's not you and no they didn't get a new producer.

primoridal_ooze, Eric242 and JCRW like this.
  3. primoridal_ooze

primoridal_ooze Forum Resident

^That’s the true meaning of “Up The Irons”! Sharpen up, lighten up, and realize that “progressive” for Maiden would now be to move on from the bloated lazy intros and overlong songs. Progressive would be doing something different like - writing songs that are punchy, short, and FUN!

Jimmy Agates and AngusStanley like this.
  4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Which is why I love No Prayer so much.

Fonz, DoF, Eric242 and 2 others like this.
  5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

You are invited to Belshazzar's Feast

Don't forget to click the reminder as you don't want to be late for the Feast!
    Join us: Thursday - 10am PDT Thursday - 1pm EDT Thursday - 2pm BRT Thursday - 5pm UTC/GMT Thursday - 6pm BST Thursday - 7pm CEST Thursday - 10:30pm IST Friday - 1am CST Friday - 2am JST Friday - 3am AEST #BelshazzarsFeast #IronMaiden

6. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

No Prayer is a great album! Excellent playing from Steve and Nicko all over that album.

7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

For me No Prayer was a huge letdown. Having discovered IM just after SIT, i loved the sophistication of 7th son. And then NPFTD seemed like a “garage” album. And then the dissapointment of no Adrian, and his replacement not playing in the same über melodic lead style.

I was 17 and all i wanted was to play like Adrian. (Actually when soloing in metal, that is still largely my goal)

To me, attempts to get back to “early style” often fails. Not just for IM, but for most bands.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

They totally lost me with No Prayer, I thought the album was quite poor and the band was basically running on fumes at that point. The energy/spark of the early days was gone.

9. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

Definitely their "we're burned out and are trying to strip it down and keep things simple" album. It may have alleviated some of their live performance stress, but it was overall a disappointment for me coming off of 7th Son (my favorite Maiden album).

10. samantas5855

samantas5855 Forum Resident

This? Or did it have more?

11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I get all that, Im an Adrian guy, but back to basics were all the rage in 1990. It was refreshing to me. Im also a Prog guy but its clear they felt they tapped out on that.

now, the next album, yeah barely any spark at all there.

12. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades It's only my opinion

Youtube announcement in 5 hours or so....

13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Now 4 hours to go!

coffeetime likes this.
  14. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I have to give them some respect for creating such nice and clever way to hype new album.
    This was perfectly executed thing all together and all the clues, hints and stuff really was awesome to follow.
    They surely know how to do it there at Maiden Towers (be it Bruce or someone)..

15. obi

obi Forum Resident

This is how I feel. “No Prayer…” gets a lot of flak from fans and it’s not their best album by a long shot, but compared to “Fear of the Dark” it’s a masterpiece IMO.

16. samantas5855

NPFTD is one of the worst albums I own, its boring, too simplistic, Bruce was tired and the album was admittedly rushed. Very bad album IMO

Jimmy Agates and Count Orfloff like this.
  17. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

2 hours to go!

coffeetime and JackOfAllTrades like this.
  18. obi

obi Forum Resident

I like it. It’s not pure greatness like the 4 albums before it, but it’s a tight, well-written album.
    “Fear of the Dark”, on the other hand, suffers from CD-bloat and spotty song writing and I find the production sterile and un-engaging. The title track and “Afraid to Shoot Strangers” are great and then there are a handful of merely “good” songs and some really bad ones.
    For me, it’s the worst Iron Maiden album.
    I realise that this is a minority viewpoint , so feel free to disagree :)

19. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I don't think it's a minority viewpoint, I got off the Maiden train with No Prayer, gave Fear of the Dark a shot and thought it was even worse. Didn't listen to another Maiden album until BNW.

thebisch likes this.
  20. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

After the sheer Epic-ness of Seventh Son, No Prayer was a massive let down at the time, seeing the Holy Smoke video on Headbangers Ball I knew they were in trouble.
    Losing Adrian of course was a massive blow, but the climate at the time with the staggering rise of Guns N Roses, did Iron Maiden feel like dinosaurs compared to those guys (it can’t be denied how exciting they were at the time) and felt they had to change things up to remain ‘current’? GNR supported part of the Seventh Son tour in the US, was Steve Harris aware that Slash and co. were laughing at Maiden’s backdrop?

Anyway - IMO at least Fear Of The Dark was a huge step up after No Prayer, it didn’t last but I thought the band was back firing on all cylinders again.

Jimmy Agates and Rockhead like this.
  21. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's some speculation that today's 'event' will be more of a live stream thing...either way I'm all in.

22. samantas5855

Fear of the Dark originally had 16 songs, 4 were cut, yet it still has a lot of bloat but it actually has good songs; Be quick or be dead, afraid to shoot strangers, the title track, wasting love, judas be my guide, the fugitive all these are good songs. What did No prayer have? Only Running Silent Running Deep for me, it had good moments but not good songs. Mother Russia was the epic but it feels unfinished and too short

Its a video about 7 minutes long

23. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Couldn't they have picked a title that the lead singer can pronounce correctly? ;)

JackOfAllTrades likes this.
  24. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

20 minutes.......

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I love Tailgunner and No Prayer For The Dying. Holy Smoke, The Assassin and Run Silent Run Deep are good but not great. The rest does nothing for me, which had never happened with a Maiden album before. What a disappointment this album was...