Iron Maiden plagiarism lawsuit

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I discovered Maiden in 1982 and for good in June 1983 so I have no idea but: Is this song really that important? It's great, no doubt but was this even a single? No, or was it?

3. Jeff Kent

It's not their most successful song, but I'd call it their signature song...or at least one of them. I just know it's my favorite Maiden song. There's speculation that the case is why they took it off the Setlist for this leg of the tour.

ian christopher likes this.
  4. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

If you look up the lyrics to Life's Shadow on Google, you can see that Hallowed Be Thy Name does nearly copy word for word entire sections from it.

5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Ah, who cares? Let's see this cry baby write something like Rime or The Trooper.

6. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

No. If it used without his permission then he needs compensated for it. That's theft. Believe me Steve Harris can afford to do the right thing.

qwerty, JNTEX, punkmusick and 10 others like this.
  7. Wally Swift

I know, I'm just playin'.

SammyJoe and 24voltsdc like this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Interesting case. Barton was asked to join the Quinn lawsuit but he refused because he didn't trust them. It probably would've been a good idea to get a lawyer at that time rather than wait.

Would Barton also have a case against Quinn who used the majority of his work but registered the song with splits in his favour?

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wonder if they felt it was all settled when they settled with Quinn? Since Maiden used the Beckett version of the song, they might never have heard of the original version.

How would this work though? If Barton wins does he get the 75/25 split that Quinn registered or would he get the split based on his original. Since Maiden copied the Beckett Barton/Quinn version is that the split that would be applicable here?

10. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

The words i use right now have all been spoken before.

Who should i make the cheque out to?

11. Jeff Kent

Rod Smallwood is ruthless and while he's been integral in making Maiden what they are, he's the quintessential sleazy manager. It wouldn't surprise me if he strong armed the Beckett guys from the get go.

axel1975 and onionmaster like this.
  12. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

That's quite possible. Either way if they were smart they would offer him a settlement and get it behind them quickly.

eddiel likes this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

IRON MAIDEN Drop "Hallowed Be Thy Name" From Current Tour Setlist Due To Legal Dispute

According to The Telegraph, Iron Maiden has been forced to drop its classic "Hallowed Be Thy Name" from the band's current tour after it became embroiled in a legal battle over who wrote it. Retired rock band manager Barry McKay is taking bassist Steve Harris and guitarist Dave Murray to court over the song.

McKay claims the song reproduces major parts of another song, "Lying In My Shadow", written by musician Brian Quinn under the name Brian Ingham.

Iron Maiden comments: "As previously announced, for the current second leg of the Book Of Souls tour a couple of changes to the setlist were due to be made. The first was including a different track from the new album and having been made aware of a legal claim, the second change was to replace 'Hallowed Be Thy Name'."

Phantom Management has issued the following: “The dispute concerns the song 'Life’s Shadow', a song originally written in the early 1970s, credited to Robert Barton and Brian Ingham, and recorded by the band Beckett. Steve Harris (Iron Maiden bassist) was a fan of Beckett and some six lines from 'Life’s Shadow' were referenced in Steve’s song, 'Hallowed Be Thy Name'. As far as Steve is concerned, this matter was settled some years ago by agreement with Robert Barton. Any evidence presented by Mr McKay will be looked at very closely and a Defence at court will be submitted in due course.”

Go to this location for the complete article.

davers likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Judge for yourself.

black sheriff likes this.
  15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

This always seems to happen with songs I like.

Hopefully everyone gets the money they are due.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

This sounds more like a fishing for $$$ expedition, 35 years!!! later.

17. Wally Swift

I lasted 2 minutes with that Beckett song. Horrible.

18. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

For me, the 2nd half of the Beckett song is much more obvious. Melody sounds pretty much identical to me, plus the use of strings. Can't believe they went back 18 years later and robbed the rest of the track, haha.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm about three minutes in and really struggling. It's terrible!

20. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Beats me.
    But I like the Beckett song!

21. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I saw Beckett back in the day and have that album. The lead singer, Terry Slessor, lives near me and does pub gigs now and then. He also sometimes songs with a Free tribute band called Freeway. After Beckett folded he was in Paul Kossoff's post Free band Back Street Crawler and then Crawler after Koss died. Would be nice if Terry made some money out of this.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Weirwolfe and Maidenpriest like this.
  22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

From what I understand, Beckett also wrote this song that Maiden covered.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  23. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Yes. That's on the same album

Holy Diver likes this.
  24. junk

junk Hellion

One of my favorite Iron Maiden songs.

25. Wally Swift

I was all hyped too. I discovered Wishbone Ash via Steve Harris's musical tastes!

Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.