Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

about 29min 20 secs :)

2. 16s

16s Forum Resident

This all happens in one show???!!!

CBackley and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep..I have that bootleg and here's the youtube-link (you can find bit better quality single songs from the show but here's the whole thing):

It was the first show for the 2009-leg of the tour "Somewhere Back In Time World Tour 2008-2009".
    There's always possibility of someone messing as setlist was changed a bit from the previous years leg.
    I think that these little mistakes and errors, just show the humane side of the band. :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  4. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

That's hilarious! It shows that they're normal musicians and not perfect gods. I caught them opening night in 2010 and during Paschendale Adrian REALLY messed up main lick. The rest of the song was fine, but that was the only night of the tour they played that one. One of these many live releases, somewhere there' s a version of Wasted Years where Adrian also messes up the lick in the middle...and both of those, in Wasted Years and Paschendale are basically the same pattern, just with slight variation.

Doggiedogma and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yes, definitely. Those are really hilarious stuff.
    I was just editing that youtube-link I posted. You're totally right that the videos show humane side and how normal musicians they are. Glad to see that they aren't performing on autopilot.
    Even if sometimes we think of them as such gods or stuff, but then these videos also show that they even as being professional there doing their thing, sometimes this happens out of nowhere.
    This has been talked already earlier, I remember that there's atleast few Wasted Years clips, one from Porto Alegre where Steve messes up and doesn't go on playing normally, then Adrian does that funny face etc.

Watch H around 2:20 or so on..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Great solo from Adrian here:

Around 3:02

Doggiedogma and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

If you happen to remember this one, please feel free to post it here.

Cheevyjames and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I remember it now. Weird. A long time ago but I do recall this, sat recording onto cassette on my stereo.

9. Almost Simon

Always good when things go wrong and they can have a laugh about it.

10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Blame Steve 'Butcher' Harris again for that... he thinks because he read the manual for the editing suite he bought back in 1988 for the Maiden England home video that he's a proper editor... he's not, and even Bruce Dickinson told him to his face prior to leaving that he didn't think much of Harris' editing!!!

By all accounts, early 1993...

MusicMatt, CBackley, SammyJoe and 3 others like this.
  11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

A Real Live Dead One:
    [​IMG]
    A Real Live Dead One
    is a live album by the British heavy metal band Iron Maiden, released in 1998. The album tracks were recorded at different venues across Europe during the Fear of the Dark Tour of 1992 and the Real Live Tour of 1993. Released in 1998 alongside the band's entire remastered discography, this album is a compilation of A Real Dead One and A Real Live One, which were both previously issued separately in 1993.

Track listingEdit
    All tracks written by Steve Harris, except where noted.

A Real Dead One
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Venue Length
    1. "The Number of the Beast" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982) Valby-Hallen, Copenhagen, Denmark — 25 August 1992 4:55
    2. "The Trooper" (from Piece of Mind, 1983) Ice Hall, Helsinki, Finland — 27 August 1992 3:55
    3. "Prowler" (from Iron Maiden, 1980) Palaghiaccio, Rome, Italy — 30 April 1993 4:16
    4. "Transylvania" (from Iron Maiden, 1980) Grugahalle, Essen, Germany — 17 April 1993 4:26
    5. "Remember Tomorrow" (from Iron Maiden, 1980) Harris, Paul Di'Anno Grugahalle, Essen, Germany — 17 April 1993 5:53
    6. "Where Eagles Dare" (from Piece of Mind, 1983) Rijnhal, Arnhem, Netherlands — 9 April 1993 4:49
    7. "Sanctuary" (from Iron Maiden, 1980) Iron Maiden Patinoire du Littoral, Neuchâtel, Switzerland — 27 May 1993 4:53
    8. "Running Free" (from Iron Maiden, 1980) Harris, Di'Anno Patinoire du Littoral, Neuchâtel, Switzerland — 27 May 1993 3:49
    9. "Run to the Hills" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982) The Vítkovice Sports Hall, Ostrava, Czech Republic — 5 April 1993 3:58
    10. "2 Minutes to Midnight" (from Powerslave, 1984) Adrian Smith, Bruce Dickinson Élysée Montmartre, Paris, France — 10 April 1993 5:37
    11. "Iron Maiden" (from Iron Maiden, 1980) Ice Hall, Helsinki, Finland — 27 August 1992 5:25
    12. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982) Olympic Arena, Moscow, Russia — 4 June 1993 7:52
    A Real Live One
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Venue Length
    1. "Be Quick or Be Dead" (from Fear of the Dark, 1992) Dickinson, Janick Gers Super Rock '92, Mannheim, Germany — 15 August 1992 3:17
    2. "From Here to Eternity" (from Fear of the Dark, 1992) Valby-Hallen, Copenhagen, Denmark — 25 August 1992 4:20
    3. "Can I Play with Madness" (from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, 1988) Smith, Dickinson, Harris Brabanthallen, Den Bosch, Netherlands — 2 September 1992 4:42
    4. "Wasting Love" (from Fear of the Dark, 1992) Dickinson, Gers Grande halle de la Villette, Paris, France — 5 September 1992 5:48
    5. "Tailgunner" (from No Prayer for the Dying, 1990) Harris, Dickinson La Patinoire de Malley, Lausanne, Switzerland — 4 September 1992 4:10
    6. "The Evil That Men Do" (from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, 1988) Smith, Dickinson, Harris Forest National, Brussels, Belgium — 17 August 1992 5:26
    7. "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" (from Fear of the Dark, 1992) The Globe, Stockholm, Sweden — 29 August 1992 6:48
    8. "Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter" (from No Prayer for the Dying, 1990) Dickinson Ice Hall, Helsinki, Finland — 27 August 1992 5:18
    9. "Heaven Can Wait" (from Somewhere in Time, 1986) Monsters of Rock, Reggio Emilia, Italy — 12 September 1992 7:29
    10. "The Clairvoyant" (from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, 1988) Ice Hall, Helsinki, Finland — 27 August 1992 4:30
    11. "Fear of the Dark" (from Fear of the Dark, 1992) Ice Hall, Helsinki, Finland — 27 August 1992 7:11

CreditsEdit

Production and performance credits are adapted from the album liner notes.[1]

Iron Maiden
    Additional musicians
    Production
    Overall Thoughts
    I don’t really have a lot to say, certainly not a lot positive, because this is totally disposable, poorly mixed, largely forgettable performances, although the fact that this has the influence on Fear Of the Dark At Live shows that it did is worthy of respect. But otherwise, this is definitely the worst Iron Maiden Live release I’ve heard, and will likely continue to be even when I hear all of them.

izombie73, SammyJoe, Meyer and 4 others like this.
  12. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I've had A Real Dead One since it came out and I remember listening to it a lot at the time. Sounded very bootleg-y as I recall, very dense and claustrophobic without a lot of breathing room. Kinda like a preview of the Shirley/Harris productions to come for more or less the rest of their career. And of course I recall Bruce sounding not very Bruce-like. #notmyBruce

I haven't heard this album in decades so I might listen to it later. I'm a bit curious if Janick was already crapping all over the brilliant Adrian Smith solo of Hallowed Be Thy Name. Or maybe I don't want to know.

I never owned A Real Live One or the Donington show and I don't see that changing.

13. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

A Real Live One: I bought this not too far after it came out and I enjoyed it at the time. I didn't buy "Fear of the Dark" until many years later, so "A Real Live One" was my link to that album. I loved "Afraid to Shoot Strangers". The crowd participation is chill inspiring. "Heaven Can Wait" is a song I've never really liked much but the crowd gives this one a boost as well. "Fear of the Dark" is also a pretty strong version with great crowd input. If I listened to this album now, I might feel differently, but I certainly got my money's worth from this CD back in the day.

14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have always liked A Real Live One and A Real Dead One, warts and all. The artwork is top notch and there are some great performances on them.

Tracks I like:

Be Quick Or Be Dead
    Tailgunner
    Afraid To Shoot Strangers
    Fear of the Dark

The Number of the Beast
    The Trooper
    Transylvania
    Iron Maiden
    Hallowed Be Thy Name

15. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

This is a small factor, but it was another nail in the coffin of my (then) disappointment with the Blaze era Maiden.

First, Bruce was gone.

Second, Adrian (who wrote my all-time favorite IM song) appeared to be coming back into the fold, but then nothing - for 8 more years.

SammyJoe, CBackley, MusicMatt and 3 others like this.
  16. Cheevyjames

I'll do these seperately since I bought them as seperate releases.

A Real Live One

The Good: Wasting Love, Tailgunner, The Evil That Men Do, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, The Clairvoyant, Fear of the Dark
    The Bad: From Here to Eternity, Can I Play With Madness
    The Indifferent: Be Quick or Be Dead, Bring Your Daughter, Heaven Can Wait

I have to start out by talking about this version of Fear of the Dark. This song entirely justifies the existence of this album. It’s clearly the best version of this song, but the important part is that this fantastic Helsinki audience created the template for how the song is done. I’ve seen/heard Maiden play this song in tons of locations since 1993, and everyone sings it like this audience in Helsinki did solely because of this album. Their singing set the standard and now every audience all over the world knows that THIS is the way you sing it. They are brilliant. Oh yeah, and Maiden sounds great on this song too. They just rip it up.

Moving on…man, what a disappointing album overall. The first thing I noticed when putting on “A Real Live One” (ugh, horrible title), is that the mix is muddy and flat. The music doesn’t breathe. Honestly, the mix is junior high level BS. It’s so jarring, esp. coming after the clarity of Live After Death. I’ll get to it more in the “ARDO” review, but there’s certainly a case for trimming these two into 1 solid live album. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me, because starting with Fear of the Dark, Maiden decided that “more is more” so they forgot about quality control and just put out as much as they could. “We don’t just need a live album, we need 2 (!!) live albums!...oh yeah, then another one from this tour to celebrate Donington!” Whee.

The first three songs are either “meh” (the too-sloppy opener of Be Quick or Be Dead) or crappy (From Here to Eternity & Can I Practice My Background Vocals…the answer is definitely NO). While From Here is a total embarrassment, Madness is a song that I hate anyway, but on A Real Live One they made it worse. Sloppy drum fills and general sloppiness all around, total barf solo by Janick and again, those awful background vocals. Thankfully the band turns it around by a very well-played and sung version of Wasting Love. Where Bruce had been screechy on From Here to Eternity, he sounds great on Wasting Love. I used to hate the song, but I’ve really grown to appreciate it over the years and he sings his ass off. The band is a lot tighter too. Happily, Nicko’s boundless energy busts out and makes The Evil That Men Do blow the doors off. This is the first track on the album that made me really get into it and they sound fantastic here.

Afraid to Shoot Strangers continues the love-fest from me. It’s simply a great, great song and except for another awful Janick solo, it’s a fantastic version of a well-written song. I even have to give it up for Michael Kinney on keyboards on this…total Jon Lord. LOVE IT. ARLO gives us some great Bruce banter: his “this is a song about war…” before Afraid and his “I’mCominToGetYaHelsinkiF***Yeah!” at the end of an otherwise boring version of Bring Your Daughter.

A Real Live One was the first Maiden live album recorded in a bunch of different cities, all in August and September of 1992. I think live albums recorded in various places lose a bit of energy. I understand why they did it – it gives fans in many more places to feel a stronger connection to the music. Still, it makes the music itself suffer a bit and it makes the album feel disjoined. The good songs here were really enjoyable, especially Fear of the Dark, Afraid the Shoot Strangers and The Evil That Men Do.

17. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Maybe Adrian didn't come back because Bruce left? Adrian did played on Bruce's solo albums during the Blaze years.

SammyJoe and ian christopher like this.
  18. ian christopher

Good point - these were just some of the factors in my disappointment and unwillingness to give the Blaze era a chance.

Back in 1995, in my youthful naievety.

What a blessing and a curse youthful naievety is.

19. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It would be cool to have the complete Helsinki show. Most of the highlights from these two albums are from Helsinki.

SammyJoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. Cheevyjames

I've never heard of any statement by Adrian or Steve that said either there was interest in bringing him back or that he tried to come back in. The Running Free from Donington was a one-off reunion to celebrate the big gig, as far as they all knew.

21. Cheevyjames

100% agree. That should've been the live album. Singular - one album, not three.

SammyJoe, Zoot Marimba and The Hud like this.
  22. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Just listened to the Hallowed By Thy Name guitar solos from both Donington and A Real Dead One on Youtube. As feared Janick was already destroying Adrian's solo and even Dave is playing sloppier than his usual precision.

That said, especially with the Donington show, I like the sound. It sounds like an untouched board recording where the instruments are all well heard. I'm definitely going to take A Real Dead One for a spin today and see if it's the same.

23. ian christopher

Being young and naive I thought it was a harbinger of things to come.

Then Adrian plays on Bruce solo albums, and I'm already lacking much love for the Blaze songs since I lacked the patience to give them more than a few listens back then, lol.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. Almost Simon

Interesting to know looking at when the selections from A Real Live/Dead One were taken.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. Almost Simon

A Real Live / Dead One

I bought them both and despite being excited by the prospect of older tunes being played, I mean, lets face it, nobody really need A Real Live One but A Real Dead One and its track listing is of interest. Sadly its lacking for reasons already mentioned.

Lacklustre in places and poorly mixed.