Iron Maiden The Number of the Beast 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madness, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

2. Jules HKG

Jules HKG Forum Resident

Great Record, would love to have a really good re-master to mark the 40th anniversary.

(The latest Parlaphone represses IMO doesn’t do justice to the awesome production of Martin Birch)

So many great tracks and childhood memories from this album, Vincent Price immortalised on the title track !

Christian Evans and craigobau like this.
  3. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

It wasn't Vincent Price who read that Bible verse. The band had wanted Mr. Price to participate, but his financial demands were much too high. They hired a voice actor from Capital Radio instead.

4. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I got into Iron Maiden via that album after hearing "Run To The Hills" over the speakers whilst browsing at a store that sold music amongst other things.
    This was @ late 1990's after ignoring them for nearly 20 years. I now own almost all of their albums.
    IMO they are one of the great rock bands of the last 40 odd years.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I think it's hilarious that this anniversary is marked with a cassette:

"The cassette is comprised of the 2015 remastered recordings of the original eight songs on the album as listed below, with front cover colour art based on the 1982 C-60 cassette release plus a re-designed & updated inlay. Ultimately it’s a tribute to a watershed album that sold in its millions in record stores all around the world; a celebration of those bygone times and a fitting souvenir for the fans who have loyally followed the band ever since."

supernaut, moosebass, eric777 and 3 others like this.
  6. Jiginada

Jiginada Forum Resident

"The cassette is comprised of the 2015 remastered recordings"

I think they misspelled "Compromised"

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  7. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

They should reissue the original Japanese LP version across all formats. That is the one I bought as an import in 1982 - they integrated the 'B Side' Total Eclipse into the running order of Side 2 after Run To The Hills and before Gangland. It works beautifully with the narrative of the album and enhanced it in my opinion. When the cd came out in Japan they used the UK version and didn't include the bonus track. I recently created a cd-r for myself with the original UK mastering and inserted 'Total Eclipse' from another cd ep of the era. And a Steven Wilson 5.1 remix would be nice. With Total Eclipse of course. :righton:

8. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

This thread inspired me to play the great Japan pressing I was referring to. :edthumbs: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  9. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Truly inspired art direction for this LP.

10. I never pass an opportunity to say Up The Irons!

11. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

This album deserves a true deluxe set. A remaster with real dynamics, b-sides, live shows, all the trimmings. One of the all time great rock albums.

mark renard, JuhNik, MarkO and 17 others like this.
  12. andy_a

andy_a Forum Resident

If I recall correctly, Derek Riggs produced this artwork for the Purgatory single and the band rejected it as being "too good for a single" and decided to keep it for the next album forcing Mr Riggs to quickly come up with the Demon's head cover instead for the single :D

TNOTB was the first album I bought along with Saxon's "Denim & Leather" and (no name needed) "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith". I was at school at the time and it was my birthday. Thought I was 10 feet tall with those 3 albums :righton:

13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I don’t think they will ever do the Metallica style deluxe editions.I wish they would of course!I would love to hear all sorts of interesting riffs demos and such.

14. Total Eclipse has got to be one of the best b sides in rock.

15. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

- This is EXACTLY what we should be getting for the 40th. You, sir, should be put in charge of Maiden reissue campaigns wih immediate effect!

Northwind, RTurner and Dylan75 like this.
  16. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

And I bet it will cost a TINY bit more than the copy I bought from Our Price Watford for my 12th birthday...

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

:unhunh:Nah,all you guys really want a new cassette tape!:tsk:

moosebass and 7solqs4iago like this.
  18. DLJL731980

DLJL731980 Well-Known Member

Anyone find it strange that this METAL CLASSIC or ANY of Maiden’s 80’s albums haven received ANY new RIAA Certifications in SEVERAL YEARS???

Northwind likes this.
  19. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

The story about the cover art originally being presented for a single is true, they thought it was so good it deserved keeping for the next album. The artwork predated the title (and song) The Number of the Beast.

Rockhead likes this.
  20. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

I hope more is in the can for their legacy. Iron Maiden is one of the few bands that haven’t gone into the SDE route instead opting for lousy re-releases (does anyone care for a half baked re-issue campaign in digipacks or yet another round of vinyl represses as picture discs?).
    Open up the vaults & the history of this legendary band with b-sides, the Nicko monologues, full era live shows, DVD, … There is an audience willing to part with their money for this.

21. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I saw this album held in the hands of a punk, on a train. I would have been around 12 so 1986 possibly?

I was so impressed by the cover, i bought a copy the week after- and was hooked up (and still am) until Seventh Son.

Definitely interested in what comes along for the anniversary.

This is the version I bought in my own great vinyl revival of 2004:

Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast

Northwind likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A cassette and that's all? FFS.

A great album that deserves so much better.

moosebass, Talisman954 and Weirwolfe like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Those UK Fame pressings sound excellent, up with the UK originals.

Yam Graham and Rob6899 like this.
  24. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Its not bad like.

I don't think its the one i bought when I was a nipper, it could be (1987). Anyways, me and my schoolmates got into Metal in a big way- to the point we formed a band, I played lead guitar (obvs) and learned Invaders note for note.

Unfortunately no one could sing, so my mate recited chubby brown jokes over the music- we could have been massive!!!

But we weren't.

25. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Unfortunately this is never going to happen. Steve Harris is perfectly content with Ade Emsley's handling of the Iron Maiden Catalog Remasters from 2015 and they hired him to master Senjutsu as testament to his work.