Iron Maiden upcoming vinyl reissues.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I have all the original pressings and some albums in few different pressings already,
    Most likely I wont get these at all as Im not so fond of getting some picture-vinyl again.
    I have so collection of these from Iron Maiden already and so I did not get En Vivo! on vinyl as the sound quality usually aint that special anyways.

Not really sure who's making these decisions about picture-vinyl at Iron Maiden headquarters.

2. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

FF is a very good sounding picture disc. If these reissues sound like FF then a buyer won't be disappointed. If they sound like AMOLAD on the other hand, then they are only good to look at since that picture disc sounds like garbage. I have all originals up to Seventh Son and have no desire to get any of these reissues but being a picture disc doesn't necessarily mean all is lost in terms of sound quality. If FF is any indicator. I think the picture discs are marketed towards collectors and not vinyl players per se.

3. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I disagree that Final Frontier is a "very good" sounding picture disc. Well, OK, maybe as far as picture discs go, but compared to regular vinyl? No way.

I think if people buy these knowing full well the drawbacks to picture discs and think "well at least I can hang it on the wall" - you are simply contributing to this problem. And hoping, or even expecting that they will someday release non-pic disc re-issues? Well, these ARE the vinyl re-issues.

Dusan likes this.
  4. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I won't be buying any, I have original EMI's vinyl and Cds and if I want to hang something on my wall I will buy a poster, I am in the opinion of late that 'Music' is second to Maiden and this is just for the collectors or those fans silly enough to buy them who do not have turntables etc.

We need proper Hoffman like mastered Cd's IMO

5. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

You're correct of course. I don't believe FF was ever given a regular black vinyl release so the caveat in my statement should be, 'for a picture disc.' I generally stay away from picture discs. The last two Maiden albums were the exception because it was the only option. Trying to interest me in buying picture discs of albums I already have on regular vinyl........'not gonna happen.' :) :cheers:

6. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I got the first 2 today. Not impressed overall I have to say.

Self-titled sounds quite good but as usual with picture discs it has the 'swirly' sound constantly in the background but as this is loud music it doesn't cause a nuisance on speakers (could do on headphones though I guess). Some clicks and pops here and there but overall the quality is good and the sound is great (this would rock like a monster on black vinyl). I don't have the original for this to compare to though.

However side B I swear is off-centre. The arm is constantly running from side to side.

Killers sounds really muffled though to my ears. I have a UK original which completely blows it away. Much more surface noise on this one too and again side B is off centre.

However the packaging is top class. High quality thick gatefolds with great print quality and the 'OBI' type strips are a nice touch. For those not plying these, you'll be happy.

If you're after decent sound quality, don't bother with these. Sending mine back.

7. Spirit Crusher

Thanks for the report; there is simply NO EXCUSE for off-centre. What crap. Crass exploitation.

I will save my money and use it to find originals instead. I was hoping for the easy way out - new, well-done re-issues, but as is all too common with the industry these days, we have to track down originals, back when well-done was NOT the exception!

8. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Look on the bright side, people. Nobody is missing out without these and good money is saved for more worthy purchases. :thumbsup:

They might as well sell them already framed.

10. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

Man, did EMI drop the ball on this or what? Why did they even think fans wanted more picture discs? It seems like the band themselves could care less about sound quality...I hope these things don't sell, then maybe EMI will reissue some actual high quality vinyl.

11. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Yep. I only have about 200 records in my collection so far but I've only ever encountered 1-2 off centre and even those were only slightly off. These are quite a way off judging by how much my arm is moving left to right.

These re-issues are for those that don't care about the sound but just want the artwork. There's even a disclaimer on the gatefold near the barcode stating that as these are picture discs, 'sound may be compromised'. Says it all really.

Not that we expected any better but I at least expected a centered press and a cheaper price.

I'll wait for some standard releases and if not I have most of the originals already so will just fill the holes.

BTW: I played these on my Linn Sondek LP12 (custom built) > Rega RB300 Arm with Linn Adikt Cart.

12. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

I still don't understand why they went through the effort accessing the original master tapes for those silly picture records which by their very nature are sonically flawed.:shrug:

13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Probably because a lot of them do. A lot of Maiden fans are collectors and will buy them and keep them as 'art' rather than to play. That's what I'm intending....IM have always been put a lot of effort into artwork when you think about their covers so it doesn't surprise me they went with picture discs to show it off.

This isn't a release for audiophiles...sorry to break it to everyone.

14. Spirit Crusher

It just irks me to no end, and the rest of you I'm sure, that Maiden's powers-that-be either don't understand or don't care that there would be a pretty sizable market for lovingly-mastered and pressed vinyl re-issues. It just boggles my mind.

15. Spirit Crusher

Why does it have to be either/or?

And frankly, why would you want to spend so much money on something that could be as useful as a poster?

:shake:

16. noname74

Do you honestly expect that I'm going to explain myself to you as to why I want to buy something?

17. moofassa_ca

I understand what you're saying, but I already have the artwork on my record covers....I don't need it on my vinyl. Bring on legit vinyl reissues already!!

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Picture discs must sell better, especially if that is all you put out.

19. moofassa_ca

When there's no other option, of course they'll sell.

20. noname74

Exactly...these will sell quite well and most Iron Maiden fans will be happy. The audiophile Maiden fans will be mad....all two dozen of them! :D

21. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

This is what I don't understand.

Let me first say that I am not criticizing anyone's taste in Iron Maiden memorabilia.
    What infuriates me is that there already is gazillions of quality IM artwork on their posters, CDs, albums, and previously released picture discs and they keep pumping out more. Yet, they have absolutely NO releases of CDs or records which have superior sound quality other than maybe some of their original records and the U.K. Somewhere in Time; all of which have been out of print for many years.

Why do they refuse to finally give their fans audiophile quality remasters when thousands of us would buy them in a heartbeat? Is their management so incompetent to believe that quality remasters would not sell as well as picture records who's only use is to gather dust on the wall?

Are they a music band or an art printing group???:cussing:

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I vented already :D that leaves 23. Yeah it's ridiculous that they can't press these on black or coloured vinyl.

23. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Screw it, just buy the UK or US originals. They haven't gone for crazy money like UK pressings of Sabbath and Purple...yet.

24. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Don't hold your breath...

25. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

FF came out on regular vinyl? I compared it to the only thing I could - the CD. The vinyl sounded better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.