Iron Maiden upcoming vinyl reissues.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

You're bloody well right! Glad I'm not the only one who hears Powerslave as an amazing production. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Deuce66, for the pictures and reviews. At least, they look mighty fine! Love that picture on the inside gatefold of s/t.

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Yep, Brilliant IMO

Up The Irons!

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

got my hands on the BOX for these pic discs - looks good, nice and sturdy

4. Maidenpriest

Cool, better than the poor flimsy excuse of a box which came with the Queen remasters

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I'm listening to the original UK pressing of 'Piece of Mind' (cut @ Utopia) right now...imo, this would be hard to beat.

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I picked up the first two releases and HMV was giving out the box for free. The only received 10 boxes so I was happy to get one. I'll start by saying that they put a lot of effort into this production. The artwork is beautiful and everything is really top quality. I'm listening to the debut now and I'm impressed with the sound. The drums sound huge and there is great separation in the instruments. It's true that there is some wave like noise between the tracks but not during the songs. These are UK pressings and I was hoping it would be like the Fame version with that little tidbit once Phantom ends, Paul's voice comes back saying something in a weird phased out thing. That part is not on this version and I wonder why? Was that not on the original release?

This has been a great Maiden week for me. I also got a mint first pressing of somewhere in time, US edition and it kills...it sounds awesome. I also got a first UK pressing of piece of mind, gatefold and original fan club insert and it is also in mint condition, and sounds amazing.

I'll let you know how killers sounds...I spin that next.

7. Maidenpriest

The extended Phantom as far as i know is only on the original Cd but may have been in the run out groove on some original vinyl but its not on my vinyl copy :)

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Oh I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I have to say I really like that tidbit, it was cool to hear the first time around. Would I have to pick up a first UK press on cd?

9. Maidenpriest

Its probally a good idea if you want a good Cd version the first issue EMI/Fame and Capitol are the best versions IMO or if you want to pay big bucks get the JPN first issues ;)

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

I can see why some are initially giving Killers a bad review. Coming right after listening to the debut, it does not come off as strong. The debut sounds so damn good, so clear and open. Killers does sound muffled, but after awhile you start to appreciate it. It's not as bright as the first, but it certainly does not sound like ****. I like the sound of it actually. I do wonder if there was an issue with the manufacturing process or if it's supposed to sound that muffled? Only because the first sounds so damn good. It makes me a little worried for the releases to come. It's still a nice collection to own.

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

I do have a mint vinyl copy of the debut on the harvest label and I think it sounds good, but I prefer the sound of the reissue, that will be my go to copy.

I also have an original Canadian cd and the remaster cd.

12. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

It really does. My copy is beat up but it's still stunning.

Your comments pique my interest in the debut re-issue...I wonder how quickly these will go.

13. motorcitydave

It is in fact on the original vinyl. My copy anyway. :cool:

14. motorcitydave

:uhhuh: And the DMM cut of 'Seventh Son' is also very good, if a little bright.

15. Maidenpriest

Excellent ! :)

16. motorcitydave

Thanks! :cool:

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

who mastered the vinyl reissues?

18. Vinyl Fan 1973

So that would mean these new reissues are not from the original UK masters? Unless the forgot that bit was there and ended it after the song? Theses do not sound messed with at all, no remasters here, so I wonder what the source is?

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

I will add that side two of Killers sounds better than the first side. Weird. It does not seem as muffled as side one.

That aside, very cool sound. Not crisp but great bass sound and nice low end. Excellent separation between instruments.

20. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Do you have any original releases to compare with the new?

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I looked and couldn't find any information, no signature giveaway in the deadwax either.

22. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Lucky you - my side 2 of Killers is so off-center my arm looks like it's riding a waterslide.
    I'm returning it and going for a refund instead of a replacement - I'm not too happy with the sound overall. Think I'll cancel all my pre-orders as well.

Maiden had a chance to finally give these releases the mastering and work they deserved -
    The wait continues....

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

I have the debut on vinyl Harvest label, and it's awesome, and between the two I prefer the reissue. killers I only have the original cd.

24. motorcitydave

Hmm..good question(s) I have no idea, unfortunately.

25. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I was lucky enough to have fellow forum member Huck help me out with the original U.K. vinyl pressings of the S/T through Powerslave a few years ago. I don't think there's better sounding copies out there anywhere...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.