Is A Day at the Races by Queen a neglected classic?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ernold, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number Thread Starter

Every time I hear this I kind of feel like it's pretty perfect, full of often gorgeous music... catchy, inventive and eclectic.

Am I alone in thinking it's superb?!

2. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I think Drowse is one of Queen's best deep cuts, certainly top 5 of Roger Taylor's songs.

3. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I do not consider it a classic album.
    - The Devil's Advocate

Sear likes this.
  4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Agree -- definitely prefer it to Night At The Opera.

Hearing "Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy" is what made me want to dig deeper into their catalog, after hearing their same 10 greatest hits ad nauseam.

5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

YES!

I think it sits in the shadow of A Night at the Opera because there is a sort of mirroring between the two albums and there's no chance they were going to repeat "Bohemian Rhapsody." All the same, if you view them as a themed double album - like Queen II on steroids, they're very much a cohesive whole.

Also, it's interesting to note that ANATO is very centered on studio trickery and sound design while ADATR is much more built around vocal layering and these insanely complex vocal harmonies. In some ways, the latter is "earthier" just based on the fact that there's much less sound manipulation in play and much more "band and voices" in the works.

6. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

No it's a bit of an uneven follow up to the pivotal album in their career. It's got some great moments. You could argue a flawed classic at best.

klockwerk, Snow2 and Somerset Scholar like this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

on this forum it often seems that once you get passed sheer heart attack it's not cool to like queen albums. ligaf
    night at the opera, day at the races, news of the world and jazz (minus mustafa) are all brilliant classic albums ... which isn't to say the earlier albums are not

8. Ernold

I find Races much more "even" than Opera.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I think it's their best album. I like it much much more than "Opera".

GarySteel, The Cat 3, Binni and 5 others like this.
  10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

A Day At The Races is a step down from A Night At The Opera, and all the other proceeding albums IMO. It goes further towards straight on arena rock, and drops the prog, glam, metal, of previous outings. It also rehashes what’s already been done, as most sequels ultimately end up doing. There are some good songs on it, but it's the start of Queen’s downward trajectory for me.

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

You are not, sir. It’s my favorite Queen lp. IMO Night at the Opera is dragged down by Prophets Song, Sweet Lady and a certain other Bohemian behemoth I never really need to hear again :angel: Races may be an attempt to capture lightning in a bottle a second time but it’s much more consistent and downright fun than its predecessor.

duggan, vconsumer and Ernold like this.
  12. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I consider A Day At The Races and A Night At The Opera similar with A Night At The Opera a bit better. Love both. Just a quick impression.

mark winstanley and jon9091 like this.
  13. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Brian May has been quoted as saying that both albums are the same and should have been a double, ie ADATR is Night Of The Opera part 2

The_Windmill, Terry and andrewskyDE like this.
  14. Ernold

Let's face it: You and I is superb, their greatest hit that wasn't, and Somebody to Love is total genius.

15. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

I saw 'em at Winterland in SF for that tour. '77 ??
    Freddie still had long hair & wore a kimono. They killed. It's down the food chain in relation to the rest of their oeuvre, but it's still in the rotation.

Fullbug likes this.
  16. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

An absolute classic. On the very same level as A Night at the Opera.

17. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

My favorite Queen album, no filler.

18. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Somewhat - Mercury's operetta songs are bit too much.

19. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I wish the band would've made a double album in the 80's (specifically The Works or A Kind of Magic eras.) Those were the days when all four members were writing hits and firing on all cylinders. But that's a story for another sub. :tiphat:

Vinyl_Blues and Runicen like this.
  20. Lonecat

Lonecat King Of Fools

I love ADATR as much as ANATO, they always seemed like a massive double album to me, and one that works quite well IMHO. You have the epic Brian thud-rocker in White Man that mirrors The Prophet song, you have the twee Millionaires Waltz and Good Old fashioned Lover Boy to take up where Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon and Seaside Rendezvous left off, and the big hits which go in different directions entirely from things like You're My Best Friend and the thing just works to me as a whole. A third similar album would have been too much, but we got something entirely different after ADATR, so to me the 70's Queen catalog is one long, well-paced masterpiece with the middle period a real highlight.
    I love ADATR.

SuntoryTime, DPC, Standoffish and 3 others like this.
  21. I don't whether or not it's neglected but it's certainly a classic. I can understand why A Day At The Races is not as celebrated as it's companion, A Night At The Opera, because Opera was first.

A Day At The Races is perhaps my favorite Queen album and that means I like it a whole lot.

22. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

It definitely sits in the shadow of ANATO. Personally, I had ANATO first, played it to death, knew every note inside and out before I ever got to ADATR.

While I don't feel like I really need to hear ANATO again, I find that I enjoy revisiting ADATR. I almost feel like ANATO (as its title implies) is grand theatre, the musical equivalent of an ornate auditorium, decked out in gold leaf and huge chandeliers. But there is something "cozier" about ADATR that I appreciate.

And it closes a key chapter for the band. I look at Queen and Queen II as the foundation. Then, SHA, ANATO and ADATR are where Queen establish their "regal" status. And then, from News up to Hot Space, they got *really* exploratory and into taking some unexpected musical risks.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Michael Rose likes this.
  23. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

This! :righton:

longaway, Fullbug, Ernold and 3 others like this.
  24. Except for a big pot hole at "White Man".

25. BZync

BZync Senior Member

RACES was the first self produced album by Queen. All other albums, including OPERA, were produced by Roy Thomas Baker.

Runicen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.