Is Amazon.com better than Ebay?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Evan L, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Does Amazon have a URL link to do that?! :)

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The only bummer is waiting for the money to transfer into you account via direct deposit while you ship the items out of your own money.

The direct deposit seem to take a day or two longer than paypal does.

But as tomorrow will be my one month mark on amazon, I am happy about the sales I am seeing. I would have saved about $50 having a pro merchant account. It looks like I already have the volume to make that worth the $39.99 a month they charge for it.

I'm liking amazon so far.

3. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

So the basic membership is $39.95/month? Is that the lowest it goes?

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No the lowest is an additional .99 an item. So if you sell less than 40 items a month, the 39.99 is not a good deal.

If you do 90 or 100 items a month like I expect to do, then the 39.99 is the better deal.

5. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Ah. For me: meh. I would only be a casual seller. Not worth the monthly fees.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought that since the CD is dead (I keep reading about this death on many forums), that the collection of 1,200 CDs that I have to sell would be a tough sell.

I expected to do about 30 to 40 CDs per month. So the .99 an item would have been the better deal. In the first 30 days I sold 158 CDs.

I just switched my account over to pro merchant for 39.99 a month, as I lost a bit of money thinking sales would be pretty cold.

Now I did not make that much money because many of my CDs sold for 2.99 to 5.99, and just a few 24.99 to 49.99. After fees that is not real hot.

But the interesting thing to me is that in the LP selling world, the 2.99 to 6.99 stuff is very hard to sell, and the higher end items at $15 to say $25 sell much better, the opposite of what goes on in the CD world.

Anyway, music addicts are still buying they are just spending a bit less. And what I like is that another 6 months or so of this and all I will have left is 9.99 and up tickets. So I should do really well even as my stock of low priced tickets is depleted.

The thing about amazon is that the hardest part of the work is over (the listing), and the pulling and packing I can do in an hour max, and this includes printing out invoices, mailing labels, etc. I bought these mice little boxes for sending CDs, and they are so easy to fold up and label, it's like a dream compared to LP sending.

So I will continue to do rare LPs on ebay, some stuff here, and CDs at amazon, and then high-end slower moving stuff at my Ecrater storefront.

7. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

I just received a $140.00 camera that I purchased directly from Amazon.com. Incredibly poor packaging. No padding. No invoice. Just a small box that the camera box barely fit in. The shipping box was beat up and torn. I'm sure I heard the UPS driver either drop the box or put it down with force at my front door. The annoying irony is that earlier in the day I received a memory card that I purchased at the same time from Amazon in a large padded box. I've been buying from the site for years and while not all purchases were packed well most were but this is by far the worst. I take more care shipping $1.00 CDs. And here I thought I would be avoiding this issue by not getting one on ebay.

Currently the battery is charging. Hopefully there are no issues.

8. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Not sure if I read this post correctly. Can you use PayPal with Amazon as an alternative to the Credit Card?

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, he is saying that Paypal has a internal Shipping and DC tracking feature, and that you can use this with not only ebay (as it was designed for) but Amazon orders as well.

You can get free Delivery Confimation (DC) by using paypal and purchasing postage through Paypal, rather than at the post office which charges .80. for the DC.

I quit using Delivery Conf. on any package under $25 (except for SH Forum members purchases), so it's just as well I go to post office and send out my packages and pay in person. I actually like the two post offices I go to. They know me and know how I like my stuff stamped and stickered, and some First Class vs. Media rate. They actually think I'm a nice guy who always has his packages all set and ready to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.