Is anybody else having problems digitizing their Abbey Road box sets.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Detroit Rock Citizen, Sep 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I wonder if the accuraterip database will have a ton of incorrect entries for what is "said" to be an accurately ripped disc is for these sets, due to many reports of glitch ridden rips?

When In Rome and patient_ot like this.
  2. danner

danner Forum Resident

If this is indeed some kind of clever copy protection going on, it's going to be awfully ironic if it winds up sending me to Soulseek to download pirated files of an album I legally purchased.

ispace, tin ears, quicksrt and 5 others like this.
  3. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital Thread Starter

Like I said the Box is manufactured in the EU.

Carl80 and ccbarr like this.
  4. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I don't know if you have ever used EAC, that is what worked for me. But it had to be done in paranoid mode, and even then I got some errors and had to start over. Maybe dBpoweramp has the same kind of setting, might be worth a try.

I didn't rip the remix CD though, extracted it from the Blu Ray, so wasn't going though that hassle after the way the bonus discs did.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Sounds similar to all the issues there was trying to get clean rips of the recent Tangerine Dream box set.

ispace, andrewskyDE, Gaslight and 2 others like this.
  6. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I also had my external disc-drive freeze up several times while ripping the two Sessions discs. I unplugged the stuck disc-drive from my laptop, then ejected the disc, re-inserted it, and was eventually able to rip it as usual. Took several tries, though. :(

ccbarr and patient_ot like this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

But, if it is licensed to be sold worldwide, including here, I highly doubt they added CP, even if it is Universal.

All I did was use the secure mode in EAC.

patient_ot and Crimson Witch like this.
  8. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I’ve had some problems with it. Each disc would have at least one glitch. I’ve been able to correct some, but not all of them. Glad I’m not the lone wolf on this one.

Lewisboogie and patient_ot like this.
  9. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

iTunes is fine. It does the job: i rip a CD and then listen to it with a critical ear. If i don't hear any noticeable errors, i'm fine.

EAC fans, please don't @ me. I'm not dissing EAC, I fully get why some people would prefer to use something like EAC.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Some are buying Japanese manufactured sets, or sets pressed in japan if you state that all boxes are EU.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

No, I mean, yeah I get what you're saying,
    I was just wondering perhaps which plants specifically. CD production is pretty standardised as far as process.
    Higher production volume only increases incidence of anomalies.

I generally stay away from the bigger labels ,( but not for that reason) ,and having bought more newly mfg'd CDs in the last six years than I had over (probably) about the previous thirty years, perhaps it is somewhat remarkable that the one and only time I ever bought a disc with a flaw like that was in 2002.
    I guess I should be thankful my luck has been good, though fwiw, I only deal mostly with a small number of labels of which their standards I am fairly confident in.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Just as I suspected. This box set is trouble since it’s not US made. Gonna order the Japan and then eBay or Goodwill the first set.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. Crimson Witch

Well that is good to hear ! :)

Although ..weren't [at least a number of ]
    these sets printed in th EU ?

Anyone know for sure ?

14. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

I had no issues but I use WMP to FLAC...

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

All 4 discs ripped ok with EAC and MakeMKV backup. Cd2 and Cd3 took two tries.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have thousands of CDs so I can't specifically mention every plant but I can tell you that I've had problems with discs from "Nora", Optimal, and some other cut rate plants. I do still buy new discs all the time and thankfully the problems are still with a small number but I have noticed the issues becoming worse over time. Someone mentioned Japan - I would say any discs made there should still be the highest quality as the CD is still respected as a format over there.

17. Crimson Witch

I would definitely agree.

patient_ot likes this.
  18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

The files I’ve seen “out there” (not on Soulseek) are 16 bit/44.1 FLACs allegedly sourced from Qobuz, FWIW.

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Who pressed that one?

EDIT: looks like another Optimal job. Something is SERIOUSLY OFF with their CD manufacturing process. Any people here that problems ought to write the company and complain. No excuses for this crap.

20. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

It is becoming a problem with many CD box sets. The pink Floyd box sets come to mind

Quality control is no longer a factor

patient_ot likes this.
  21. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

No issues ripping the CDs using iTunes. Also no issues ripping the Blu-ray using MakeMKV.

Sorry to those who are having issues. Very frustrating.

Carl80 likes this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Is anybody else having problems digitizing their Abbey Road box sets.
    it's already in digital.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

iTunes does not tell you if any issues or problems are present. You presume no problems.

ispace likes this.
  24. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

In case you can’t solve your ripping issues, know that the AR50SD stream on Apple Music is just fantastic.

25. MusicFan57

MusicFan57 Forum Resident

All 3 CDs ripped, first time, no hang ups, no problems. The only "issue" was The Long One did not have the title. Simply said "track". I think that was only due to the title being too long. I don't have fancy software, so it was ripped to wav. lossless via Window Media Player, using the internal CD/DVD player that came on the computer.

ccbarr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.