Is anybody else having problems digitizing their Abbey Road box sets.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Detroit Rock Citizen, Sep 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Couldn't rip the last two tracks on the second sessions disc (Here Comes The Sun and Maxwell's Silver Hammer) using Nero, but EAC ripped them and reported no errors. However, when I played back the WAV files there were several obvious glitches and second-long gaps within each song. Grrrr.

2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

My discs play fine, but when I ripped them to iTunes, there were some errors toward the end of each disc. I re-ripped them on a different drive and they came out OK.

3. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Have any retailers or websites acknowledged the manufacturing problem yet?

4. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Got my brand new Super Deluxe Edition in this week, which I'd ordered direct from Universal music. Tried to rip it using dbPoweramp in secure mode. Ripped disc 3 first, and all was well. Tried ripping disc 2 several times, and it ripped the first half, but the second half was an issue. Tried it multiple times, and it never worked. Ripped disk 1, and same issue. First half was ok, then the second half woudn't rip. Trying to rip bad tracks in BURST MODE, but they are slow and INACCURATE.

I can't believe this happens with new cds. I've ripped over 1000 cd with dbPoweramp, and was able to rip them securely. The only issue I've ever had is with used cds that were scratched when I bought them.

I'll try to post some matrix numbers later.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Try different ripper drives and a different computer, etc. You don't mention any other optional hw choices used.

spanky1 and c-eling like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Having a couple drives is a good idea.
    Weird, my old grand-daddy I use for detecting PE discs has trouble with some Japan JVC discs. I had one today I did- every track was inaccurate. Popped it into my cheapy Amazon LG, ripped no issues.

7. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Primarily use a Memorex external drive. When this doesn't work, I use the internal H-P drive. Both drives had same issues.

c-eling likes this.
  8. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I have three different drives (all cheap!) that I use with dbPoweramp. Sometimes CDs that have problems in one drive rip perfectly in other drives. Also, try without "use C2 error checking" as well in drive setup. Some drives that report using C2 error checking, actually don't actually work well with that option checked.
    p.s. I just checked using PerfectTunes and can see that the super deluxe edition CD rips are showing up in the ACCURATERIP database now. They weren't when I originally ripped (too early). My rips all match the others in the AR database.

9. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I believe that the C2 error checking is only for secure ripping mode. I'm using burst mode at this point, and still having issues.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have an older LG CD/DVD drive that rips fairly good, but it’s burns are what it really excels at.

I have a very old Plextor that is slower then the newer drives, Burns are a bit suspect, but it rips (old burns) CD-Rs like no other drive that I have.

I keep a few older computers going for those additional ripping options. Get this, if I get a disc that is just not going to be error free no matter which drive I use, I will settle on the rip from the drive that got the fewest bad frames of the various attempts.

There usually is one drive that did better than any of the others.

strippies and c-eling like this.
  11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Japan JVC silver pressed, or the JVC - TY brand CD-Rs? Either way, a Japan pressing having issues with a ripper makes me want to pull that drive out of service, the final straw on that one.

c-eling likes this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Japan JVC CDDA's.
    The drive isn't going anywhere, the cheap LG doesn't detect pre-emphasis SUBQ tags and works well when the LG has issues with other discs.
    So having both is needed.

13. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the C2 error checking setting relates to all ripping, burst or secure. Worth a try in any case.

14. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Correction. My rip is the 50th Anniversary 2 Disc version rather than the super deluxe 4 disc version. (but I think some of these discs are in both sets?)

15. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Not Abbey Road, but I actually had problems with one of the SHM-CD's on the Japanese White Album boxset. iTunes ripped a couple of tracks on one of the sessions discs incorrectly so I redid it with EAC and it was fine.
    But why should I have any problems with a medium that is supposed to use higher quality materials than a typical CD?

16. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I’ve been through 3 Abbey Road deluxe sets. I believe the last one ripped fine. Frustrating.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

These little cheap tin discs ain’t what they used to be.

It’s a different era now.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I have experienced ripping errors with the last tracks of 70+-minute-long discs in European box sets manufactured by Universal (Bobbie Gentry, Ronnie Lane, Velvet Underground). But if I give those tracks another shot separately, I'm generally able to rip them correctly.

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Ordered from Amazon. None what so ever. Downloaded AB box with Toshiba burner than to hard drive WAV format. Download to phone and have burned cds no problem with either.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  20. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I did have ripping issues with my box set from the EU. May still have.

21. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I've played through my 2 discs that wouldn't rip, and didn't notice any issues.

Not sure what my next step will be. If I can't rip it, I'll probably contact Universal for a return. I can't pay this much for a set that has these issues. I was astounded when I searched on here and found that it was not uncommon.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Lewisboogie and ispace like this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You are using wav format for phone? That's large allotment of space taken.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The EAC database has these errors reported (from others) as non-errors? Do you think this might be why it states a correct rip when it certainly is not?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

My advice is to load the best rip in CueTools. Sometimes, if the frame errors are small enough, this program is able to repair the errors with help of an online database.

garymc likes this.
  25. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

excellent idea. this has helped me in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.