Is DIE ANOTHER DAY the worst Bond movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Halle Berry was p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ incredibly hot in it, and Pierce Brosnan is a great Bond in my opinion, so it's not all bad.

I consider something like Spectre far, far worse. Die Another Day doesn't really have pretensions to be a great film or expand the Bond canon in anyway.

StereoMan56 likes this.
  2. DigitalDave74

DigitalDave74 Forum Resident

Moonraker is the worst IMO.

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I would say A View to A Kill, Thunderball, On Her Majesty, and any Pierce film except for Golden Eye are pretty terrible.

4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't remember Thunderball being that bad - but it was a long time ago. Of course Goldfinger set the "gold standard" by which all other Bond movies are measured.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

No

It gets a pass from me in the same way a greatest hits album would.

The worst is GoldenEye. It gets a total fail because it does not have the "feel" or "vibe" of a Bond film. It suffers from the same lack of whatever it is (I can't quite put my finger on it) that Never Say Never Again is missing. That one at least has the excuse of not being an EON film. GoldenEye even goes so far as to steal the "Don't though that, that's my lunch" line from NSNA.

6. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

Where was that in NSNA? I don't remember it.

7. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

It was the worst (with Madonna being the last nail) before all that disgrace with Craig started. I think last two Mission Impossible movies were better bond-movies than Bond movies.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

I think I am confusing things, and the quote was from another movie. There is a similar joke about a nasal decongestant. There is defiantly an exploding pen gadget in both movies. I remember when I saw GoldenEye in the theater I knew the line was coming when JB picked up the sandwich, so it had to be stolen from somewhere.

9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Is the exploding pen the same device that he used to escape from the centrifuge in Moonraker?

10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I win! :D

[​IMG]

11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

lots and lots of bad ones, but "a view to a kill" fails in so many ways and is an absolute bore of a movie. roger just reeks of discomfort and indifference.

12. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

That was a dart gun. In Never Say Never Again the pen had an exploding projectile nub. In GoldenEye the pen was a grenade.

13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I love Brosnam as Bond (& as an actor in general), but feel for him as the scripts were week during his Bond era.

P.S. Black Friday is always the best time to get the whole BOND Blu ray box set for about $60. That's about 24 movies..... That's about $2.50 each

Sean Connery for the Win! :wave:

14. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I've always struggled with judging Brosnan as Bond because while I think that as an actor he's got all the tools to succeed in the role I just don't sync up with the vibe of his movies.

Goldeneye is held up as a classic but to me it's pretty charmless. Tomorrow Never dies is utterly forgettable, while I remember The World is Not Enough as a bit of a step up. I know I've seen Die Another Day more times than the previous three and honestly if you asked me to watch one of them right now it would be DAD.

So no, it isn't the worst Bond movie.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

For a canonical EON James Bond movie? Yes. Yes it is.

16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I'm surprised to A View To A Kill being put forward as a contender for the wost. I thought that was alright. One of the more memorable Bond movies as well, what with Christopher Walken, Grace Jones, and the airship scenes over Golden Gate Bridge. Not to mention Duran Duran's View To A Kill theme song.

17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Skyfall was one of the better Bond movies, not one of the worst.

18. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I thought DAD was the worst one I'd seen when I saw it in the theater. I'm now watching all of them with my son and we are up to DAD and I am curious/dreading it- I liked the Dalton movies at the time but they are pretty bad- he's easily the worst Bond. No fun (a problem I have to a lesser degree with the Craig movies I've seen). You Only Live Twice is the best if only because it has a lot of things made fun of in the first Austin Powers movie.

19. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It may just be me, but there's something depressing about a franchise which goes on and on. I wish they'd called it a day when Connery left for the second time. But if people like it, that's fine.

20. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The worst Bond movies are when Roger Moore goes to the USA and the movies become Smokey and the Bandit/Dukes of Hazard comedy fare.

rd1 likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Quantum of Solace is the worst I’ve seen, but it’s not in a select company. Many Bond movies have been pretty bad.

nojmplease likes this.
  22. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

My least favourite is Diamonds Are Forever. Until the death of Peter Franks it's an interesting film with a creepy feel. Then as soon as Leiter appears it goes off a cliff, and I cannot bear to watch it after that, Plenty O'Toole notwithstanding.

Though Die Another Day comes close. They're quite similar actually. Except there it's quite interesting until "London Calling", and has little going for it after that. Diamonds aren't a Bond film's best friend.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Finally, I get the privilege of disagreeing with you! But I’m going to blow my credibility in saying I didn’t have as much of an issue with most of the later Moore films as most seem to. I agree with Scooterpiety’s post above, actually. Like someone else said, I think it depends on where you came in. The Spy Who Loved Me was the first one I saw, with my dad, so I liked all the Moore films going forward. I knew Moonraker was cheesy but I still enjoyed it, just wasn’t one of his best.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, I started with Dr. No and From Russia with Love (on a double-bill, when I was 9), right before Goldfinger was released, so I go back to the beginning. And I read all the novels before I was 11 or 12. So I knew the stories and characters very well. Sean Connery fit the version of Bond in the books, but Roger Moore... not so much. Those movies were (generally) too goofy for me. But I faithfully have seen every single one of them in the theater.

Quite a few of the Ian Fleming books were fairly grim and violent, without the "light touches" in Moore films like Octopussy and Moonraker. If you've seen From Russia with Love, most Bond films give it high marks for being the film that was closest to the books... and it's a rough film without a lot of jokes and snappy one-liners. ("She's had her kicks" notwithstanding.)

25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Fleming's writing sometimes makes me umcomfortable. There is a particular streak of voyeuristic sadism permeating his books, and I'm thankful that the Bond movies diluted that somewhat by adding light touches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.