Is Don Felder underrated guitarist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JeffMo, Feb 23, 2021.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I was not necessarily referring to composing or arranging music. The creative process also involves performing and creating music on stage. Felder missed out playing in one of the best bands in the world for 20 years.

carlwm likes this.
  2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

You forgot the Clapton avatar...

Gratefully Deadicated and ARK like this.
  3. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

This may be an unorthodox opinion, but:

Felder > Leadon > Walsh

4. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Seems like he made out okay financially!

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

He got paid, but probably nowhere near what he would have been paid touring with the band between 2001 - 2019. He allegedly earned over $20 million for just the Hell Freezes Over tour alone. The Eagles toured several times after Hell Freezes Over, generating significant revenue streams. In addition to touring revenue he gave up, he also lost out on the opportunity to perform at that level as a musician, which he clearly regrets.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  6. Felder’s solo albums vary-the first isn’t very good but the second is very good and the third is solid enough. As a singer, he’s improved over the years. As far as being underrated, he’s a very talented player melodic and tasteful.

Gratefully Deadicated and carlwm like this.
  7. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Hotel California is a universally acknowledged rock classic, the guitar coda has been voted the best solo in history at least once (although it isn't really a solo, it's Felder and Walsh), and its parent album is one of the biggest sellers of all time. Why wouldn't it be the highlight of his set?

8. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

"Try and Love Again" is my favorite on Hotel California, too.
    I love Frey as a guitarist ("Is it True", "You Never Cry Like A Lover", "Try and Love Again", "I Can't Tell You Why").

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  9. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Another great one for sure. Not really a fan of the earliest stuff, except for the singles and a few album tracks but love the two final '70's album.

10. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Indeed. Have been spinning it a lot lately and ordered a copy of the 180 gram double album that combines the two greatest hits sets. Now I need to grab The Long Run and I'm pretty much set

All three of them (and Leadon as well) were great in their own way.

Drumaniac - R, JeffMo and carlwm like this.
  11. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Don Felder - Hotel California

Don, Jimmy & Steve at Metropolitan Museum Of Art's - Play It Loud exhibit

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    seacliffe301, JeffMo and carlwm like this.
  13. paradox55

paradox55 Forum Resident

After being fired, did Felder ever get another chance to play live with either Frey or Henley?

14. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I tend to think that Joe Walsh is overrated.

15. No because neither wanted anything to do with him at that stage.

Dudley Morris and paradox55 like this.
  16. Nah, he’s a really good guitarist. Just because someone over praises someone doesn’t diminish their accomplishments or skills.

17. He was a tasty player. He might not have of had the showboating skills of Felder or Walsh but he knew just the right solo to play to,fit the song.

18. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I didn't say that he was crap, he's obviously very good. Overrated though IMO.

Dudley Morris and Lexhibit like this.
  19. Nobody is a Jeff a Beck except Jeff Beck.

20. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Great great guitarist perfect for the eagles but please don please don't sing, which he still thinks he can if you see him live. And arguably pleading/expecting to sing victim of Love was the first crack in the wall for his swelling ego

carlwm likes this.
  21. I know. I was just pointing out that our expectations based on what we hear about someone or over praise doesn’t change what they’ve accomplished.

22. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Not sure anybody could have guessed they would stick together this long during this period, especially after Frey passed. Certainly Felder didn't, or just had pride issues and/or bad advice. I am a Felder fan-so I think it was mutually destructive (though certainly not to Frey and Henley). But the band moved on.

carlwm and Lexhibit like this.
  23. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Like his friend Joe Walsh said to Don after his firing, "you should have signed the papers, man".

carlwm and Mike Visco like this.
  24. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

I'm sure Joe appreciates the paychecks and the job security.......doesn't ruffle any feathers :rolleyes:..he knows who's buttering his bread:righton:

25. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

True, but there are other players who have shown themselves to be artists - even it it has meant very few people have heard them.

Don Felder was a really good guitarist (of which there are quite a lot around) who happened to join the Eagles when they had done the legwork, then wrote a book about how bad he'd been treated while he was in the Eagles (yes, I know he co-wrote Hotel California so you could argue that they lucked out as well - except nothing he has done on his own implies he could have made it alone). He then then proceeded to show what an artist he was in his own right, by performing Hotel California, and One of Those Nights as every opportunity.

Yeah - of course performed his own stuff as well, but can anyone really argue it's not just generic fodder? Maybe if he hadn't agreed to a non disclosure deal, for a hefty some, it might have inspired him to create something more interesting.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021