Is it OK to NOT like classical music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Comments: for liking Classical when older? I first bought a stereo in 1965 to listen to Classical music. I really like Classical best, but had a few albums like Bob Dylan.. Then as i got a little older i got more into Rock, but still listened to Classical. Jazz was my dislike. It all sounded crazy. The only Jazz item I ever actually listened to was DaveBrubeck Time Out.
    It took a LONG time, until "Ken Burns Jazz" series came out. I watched it and suddenly I 'got' what those guys were doing. It was wonderful. So I really started in on Jazz in my late 40's.

So I can uderstand someone saying they do not 'like' some form of music. they do not 'get' it. No problem.
    I try to listen to music I do not like but others say is really great. So I can learn what it is about it which makes it great.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Did you listen to much Debussy before you listened to jazz? I can't imagine that you did because, how could you not like jazz right off if you liked Debussy...they go hand in hand.

3. Michael Bohannon

Michael Bohannon Well-Known Member

To say you hate classical music and love other types of music is simply not logical. Chances are, most everything you listen to has at least a most basic connection(s) with it. Without its proper acknowledgements and influence, many of the greatest pop songs of our time would not have been what they were. Listen again.....

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

If you have a spare 67 minutes this could light a fire under your butt to explore more. Sit back in a dark room with a glass of your favorite and chill.

Brudy likes this.
  5. scottM

scottM Forum Resident

Many newbies to classical think soft lullabies and pleasant muzak. Whenever I get this type of response I generally refer them to a piece like this:

It's called "Black Angels" and is composer George Crumb's musical response to the vietnam war. IMO it's just as effective as any Dylan anti-war song. Just one of many examples that can be used to challenge stereotypes.

Another good one would be Penderecki's "Threnody for victims of Hiroshima"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOnC5X8rWi0

6. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Lol, I have always loved Debussy.. but i do not think of his music in any way at all like Jazz. really.

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Debussy's piano pieces set the groundwork for jazz. His use of whole tone scales and dissonance are the basis for modern jazz.
    Listen to the voicings that Bill Evans uses then listen to Debussy's solo piano works...you will hear where Bill got his mojo from.

8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

If there is a snob factor to classical music, it's little more than a historical hand-me-down attitude. When much of the main body of acknowledged classics was created, it was generally at the behest of the ruling class. The shlubs had some limited exposure, but the general perception was that "the good stuff" was the domain of the wealthy. And though recorded music became more widely available to regular people, it was still nonetheless celebrated at the high-society level with black-tie events. That still sorta exists – the arts always need patrons – but is receding some in the general perception. Old prejudices die hard.

Meanwhile, who cares who likes what? Too many people offer up reasons to dismiss music genres, and too few of the reasons have much to do with music. "Me 'n' my posse don't lissen to that crap." I have my biases, some reasonable, some not. It's nice to have a few like-minded friends to enjoy with, but it's not critical. It need not be The Prevailing View.

And the complexity/simplicity argument is a non-starter. All music forms employ both. You won't see any pigeon-chested society matrons at Opening Night for a Balinese Gamalan concert, but I assure you the complexity factor is off the chart.

"Well, I never..."

fainting_couch.jpg

Urban Spaceman and DDTM like this.
  9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I love it...never tire of it. But I listen to everything expect rap and reggae. Is it OK not to like those? :laugh:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I listen to everything from Jethro Tull to Genesis.

Synthfreek likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You're speaking of Chuck Debussy. Different dude.

bumbletort, jukes and ggergm like this.
  12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

How could anyone not like Neil Young????!

;)

13. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

You must like classical music. It's in the Constitution. Or maybe the Declaration of Independence. I know...it's the Magna Carta.

But it's perfectly okee-dokee to hate opera.

:winkgrin:

Actually, it's OK to like or dislike whatever you want. I instinctively reject music that's "good" for me. In general, it bores me to tears.

I happen to like classical. While I rarely put on a classical record, I often turn on a local public broadcasting station that airs classical music during the day for background music around the house. It's very soothing.

14. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Don't get me started.........

15. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I'm a proud non-lover of European classical music. I LOVE Indian classical music, and sometimes Balinese gamelan music will rock my world, but European classical never floated my boat. I'm 56 and I never 'matured' into it or found it interesting or certainly 'innately superior'.

16. GlassOnion

GlassOnion Well-Known Member

Just curious but has anyone listened to a genre of music they never cared or had interest in until one of their favorite bands or artists said they liked? And ended up liking it?

17. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

For me yes - at least indirectly. I used to listen to lots of hip hop music (still do, occasionally) and I became aware that many of the bands that I liked we're influenced by (and sampled) jazz. I started checking out those inspirations and ended up liking jazz more than the stuff that it inspired.

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Maybe jazz artists should start sampling hip-hop artists. Then they might get a little more mentions/respect here.

19. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Like what you want, don't like what you don't want.

Why is this even a question?

20. MrBigShow

MrBigShow Active Member

Now I feel like it was all a ruse to get people to say "it's ok that you don't like it." Great.... I like all kinds, I don't need to prove that to anyone, yet I respect the rights of others to like what they want. That should be straightforward enough. If not, then there is no convincing anyone of it.

21. I friggen love this too. Great choice

Synthfreek likes this.
  22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I like the hits.

23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

That's the right answer! :)
    on the other hand; don't rule it out yet! From the polyphonic choirs of Palestrina to the dreamy orchestral sounds of Gerald Finzi, I think that's a LOT of music you're excluding there! There's so much more than Mozart and Bach going on!
    Much of my classical 'taste' comes from some radio programmes who have a more adventurous choice of works and composers, only recently I discovered the subtle guitar-compositions of Torroba.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

The reverse can happen too. I find that I have less patience for it as I age. I wanna rock!

I do not think European or western classical music is superior over all else. I think that argument has roots in...well, lets leave it at that.

I think sales of ABBA CDs went up when Kurt Cobain once said Nirvana liked listening to them on the tour bus.

Because, for many people, it is. Now, if someone on this forum started saying that they hate The Beatles, there'd be problems for the poor lad.:D

No ruse, just a discussion. On this forum, we discuss just about anything.

MrBigShow likes this.
  25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've got a love for Maria Callas like I've got a love for Aretha Franklin, if that makes any sense.

Not liking classical music doesn't make sense to me, it's in my blood, I must have been born this way. Personal preference in music is really complicated. In any case, I know you don't like the stuff—Grant—but know that many musicians you [and I ] respect do.

dkmonroe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.