Is 'Let it Be' DVD finally coming?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeYoung, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

Which is why LIB is my favourite.

We understand Helmut...you're not a fan of LIB at all. That doesn't mean no one else can like it though :)

2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Yeah, John Lennon used that exact same line, so you are quoting him.
    I'm in league with the others who prefer live performances from the roof with a mimed (and fairly silly) performance of IATW.
    And actually, the quality of the music is debatable as well. I don't consider Blue Jay Way (either the music or the video) to be brilliant or even good. You're Mother Should Know is not a great song, but I do like the video. Fool on the Hill is a good tune, but a lame video. Magical Mystery Tour is a good song, but I've got the album to listen to.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I think it was said by Paul in the Anthology documentary.

Gloi, AlienRendel, heatherly and 3 others like this.
  4. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I have to confess that's my first thought whenever someone says ''hair in the gate'', too. Derek & Clive are never far from my mind...............

hoggydoggy likes this.
  5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

True, but I recall John saying almost exactly this same thing in an interview and when I saw Paul say it in anthology, I thought he was remembering what John had said. But my memory ain't what it used to be.

6. Arnold Grove

Could be too.

Or maybe George said it?

No, wait, it was Ringo... ;)

7. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Unlike the band itself.

8. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

AIUI, no one objected to anything in the re-assembled restored original cut, the alternate 'bonus' cut or the many extras assembled for the 2-DVD set. The problem - as the Apple board perceives it - is HOW and WHEN to market it. We can only guess at the instructions Harrison and (possibly) Lennon would have left for their executors.

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Jan the striper was also to appear in Let It Be - here's a still from from the unused "The Long And Winding Road" segment:

[​IMG]

10. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Jan's taken up a new profession, but she still comes under the moniker of PR (see photo). Now we actually see her far more, but we don't see more of her.
    She lost her contract at the "club" when she became in a delicate condition. But it ain't a bad gig.
    The similar appearance of these (ahem) "actresses" is uncanny. :)

First Video Appearance: With the Beatles................................................................ Current TV Appearance: Does Paul have another paternity payment?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I'll take John & Yoko waltzing, Mal Evans bagging an anvil and Paul with a beard over anything in MMT every time!

applebonkerz, markbrow and Zeki like this.
  12. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

IMO, One of the ironic things about LET IT BE is that it is not an unreleased project; it is just OOP, and that might be why no one is in a rush to put it out. In other words, no one wants to re-release it...because it was released. Anyone who really wants to see it can easily do so. Had the project continued into the Abbey Road sessions, it would have been nice to have THAT footage as the end. Instead, we have arguments, George getting shocked by a mic, sludgy performances, people turning amps off. Hardly compelling. Makes the Pink Floyd Dark Side studio footage look like an Sam Peckinpah film.

I saw it in the movies in the 70's, and taped it off of Cinemax on 12/8/81. When that tape got damaged, I found another copy. I'm unsure that I have watched it in its entirety more than 3 or 4 times. Sure, it could be improved. Almost every copy I have ever seen has a major sync problem early on in the film, but that is not the issue; it's the content.

I think Apple really dropped the ball not putting it out a bit after Anthology. That was squandered momentum. LIBN? Please. As if.

I used to be interested in a reissue. I'm not sure I care now.

Dan

13. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

TVs are 16x9 now ,so its the wrong size

14. Arnold Grove

I thought something was not spelled properly when I originally posted my comments about Jan the "striper". But I couldn't figure it out. Now, you've disseminated my grammatical error to the whole SH Forum. I'll have to hide my head in shame.... ;)

longaway and Zeki like this.
  15. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

While Let it Be was originally shown in Theaters in widescreen (not sure which aspect ratio they used) it was filmed on 16 MM film, so the actual film has a 4x3 aspect ratio. When it was cropped for VHS and Laserdisc release they didn't go back to the original film, but used the theatrical print, which had already been cropped for widescreen. So even more picture was lost.

So going back to either the widescreen theatrical release or the original film would give us more picture. But just because a TV is 16x9 doesn't mean that a film is "the wrong size." Films and home video should be presented in the format in which they were intended to be presented. Ever see the widescreen version of Gone With the Wind in a theater? Horrible.

AlienRendel likes this.
  16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

:D

wayne66, supermd, longaway and 3 others like this.
  17. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

It would have been incredible if they showed up at the Oscars for that award.
    I'm glad they beat out Rod McKuen even though I like A Boy Named Charlie Brown as a movie.

Mal likes this.
  18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I don't think anyone would get an impression that John and Yoko were heroin addicts just from watching the movie itself. There was a time here Yoko caught grief for always inserting herself INTO The Beatles; now, perhaps it's for NOT wanting to be seen in a Beatles film (?). The only thing that John looks in the film is bored... but that was to be expected at that time, and he does get into the music at times in the film too.

Maybe Olivia feels (wrongly, IMO) that George looks bad for arguing with Paul? Me, I always love that bit of exchange where George takes a stand for himself (even though I agreed with Paul in this particular debate),

But maybe someone should ask the four participants WHY this thing is truly being blocked?

19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

OK, it's just that I haven't been around here that long, so I don't know who Nik is. He does come through with a wealth of information, that is for sure.

20. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

more of a joke ,than a problem with 1:35:1

dewey02 likes this.
  21. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I would like to know the truth too. Bottom line is, the fan base isn't getting any younger for The Beatles(I am referring to 1st and 2nd generation). Besides, it is sad the "official" releases video/audio are horrible. Leave it to fans to partially right the wrong. Don't they get that?

All the excuses - gives off a bad image, projects the band in a bad light, etc....... Considering the time and WHERE this started out, it's a wonder anything surfaced. One thing it did show, they had happy times and not at each others throats like they naysayers want to voice about Get Back/LIB.

Lets cut the crap. Put it out in the PROPER video aspect. Have bars on top/sides, OH WELL. I rather see this "natural" then one that is stretched or cropped. The sound....so much can be done with the sound. Am I asking for too much here? Probably so.

22. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

There are already unofficial copies floating around everywhere, and people can still see LIB online. I mention this because it's not as if Apple or The Beatles can hide this document from the public anyway. So they might as well just go ahead and release it eh RIGHT way.

Zeki likes this.
  23. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

The discussion is less about my thoughts about LIB, but the reason why they do not re-release it for ages. And my theory is, that they are not happy with it, because many performances are definitely not their best and do not fulfill their own expectations. That's how musicians think - why else do many overdub their live recordings, even if they are much better than the LIB stuff ?
    I don't mind at all, if they release that movie one day again - why should I ?

24. Arnold Grove

No bar is too high for me. As long as I know there are a line of tequila shots waiting for me, I'll climb Mt Kilimanjaro... ;)

25. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

In my opinion, I don't think anything is necessarily blocking the release.
    I just think that releasing it isn't a big priority for Apple compared to possible other projects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.