Is Liz Phair one of Rock's Greatest Living Tragedies?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 1, 2013.

1. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

That's the same band she's been touring with for over a year now. The one guitarist, Connor Sullivan, also accompanied her on the Girly-Sound to Guyville tour that coincided with the box set release.

I was kind of hoping for something more rocking for her comeback single, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It feels like a natural progression from whitechocolatespaceegg and seems to ignore most of the music she's made since then.

No Bull, Hep Alien and I333I like this.
  2. aseriesofsneaks

I'm pretty optimistic about a spring release, given that Liz has already released the first single. Also, the fact that she's working with Brad Wood is encouraging. They usually work pretty quickly; the bulk of Whip-Smart was recorded during a nine-day session at Compass Point.

Hep Alien, LilacTeardrop and I333I like this.
  3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I think her face is just naturally changing with age. Good for her not "doing a Belinda" and appearing totally sandblasted/plastic.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

That would be great!

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  5. Egrorian

Egrorian Well-Known Member

I discovered Liz Phair late - only in 2010, and the much maligned self titled album was my entry point. Truth be told, I like it, whereas I'm still not totally sold on Guyville or Whipsmart. Personally, I think Whitechocolatespaceegg is by far her best album.

robcar, Hep Alien and LilacTeardrop like this.
  6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Skimmed Horror Stories in a bookstore today, including the "producer who shall not be named" portion. She basically says that yes, Ryan Adams hit on her, but that that wasn't the reason the collaboration didn't pan out. Different personalities, different priorities, his busy touring schedule, etc. etc.

No Bull and Hep Alien like this.
  7. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I'm seeing her in July on a bill with Alanis and Garbage. While I guess to some its a tragedy that she's now reduced to third bill on nostalgia amphitheater tours, I'm sure the paycheck will be worth it and she's still doing her thing and seems happy and healthy doing so.

8. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Don’t care for Alanis but this is a good concert lineup. Garbage releases albums and singles regularly and all of it is excellent. They r not a nostalgia act.

9. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

well the tour is celebrating "25 years of Jagged Little Pill" and two of her mid-90s peers are playing. I agree Garbage isn't nostalgia but I bet a lot of the crowd there is coming for "Stupid Girl" and "#1 Crush" and quit listening to any of those three artists after 2000.

No Bull, Hep Alien and majorlance like this.
  10. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I am sure a lot of folks are coming for the nostalgia.

11. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’m reading Horror Stories now. It’s decent, though I find myself getting annoyed at her perspective sometimes. I appreciate that she embraced the subjectivity of her memories; it’s all very much centered on her internal view. I’d never listened to her records before. I’m enjoying whip-smart a lot today.

12. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

So, what's the tragedy?

ConnieGuitar and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

She created possibly my favorite song of the 90's, F%$# and Run. I love Exile as well, and am surprised I find it in bargain bins all over the place.

Buddybud and ConnieGuitar like this.
  14. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Is the tragedy that her ROLLING STONE cover was supposedly Stone's worst-selling cover of all time:evil:? (Worse than Jar Jar Binks and John Travolta and Jamie Lee Curtis as RS reporters? :yikes:) I suppose that would be defined based on " particularly low sell-through/an unusually large number of unsold return newsstand copies ". I was trying to look that up recently and couldn't find anything online about it.

15. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

She suffered from stage fright then. I saw her in the mid-2000s and she was great.

intv7 and Rfreeman like this.
  16. Herman Schultz

Exile in Guyville is the best album of the last forty-odd years.

17. Herman Schultz

The same as Rod Stewart's. An artist of perceived artistic respectability who went on to make material perceived as merely commercial.

Christian Hill likes this.
  18. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Oh! The humanity!!!!! :)

Buddybud, Herman Schultz and intv7 like this.
  19. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Liz did ONE album in 2003 that had one crossover hit record. The way some people talk about the "tragedy" is as if she went full on Ariana Grande or something. She just went and did one cheesy record that sounded more like Avril Lavigne than Sleater-Kinney in the early 2000s. Rod has spent entire decades alienating those who loved his early work. Apples and oranges.

Finch Platte and intv7 like this.
  20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The album after that was arguably worse, and certainly as commercially driven in its own way. I actually much prefer the s/t album to the two that followed. Some of the deeper tracks are vintage Liz, and the pop stuff is fun.

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Liz started recording a few years after Juliana Hatfield started recording. Yet JH has about 5 times as many albums as Liz. I don't think think JH has WRITTEN significantly more songs than LP.

FWIW, Liz mentioned on twitter the other day that recording of the new album was completed the other day. Best case scenario, it's 4 months away if they want day 1 vinyl. Matador?

No Bull likes this.
  22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I think she looks hotter now than she did then.

Christian Hill and TSWisla like this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Liz hasn't done a return to 90's form of entirely new songs in the past 17 years.

Rod's cameos with Jeff Beck or Ronnie Wood were better than Phair's best musical moments in the past 15 years. I think he's got more publishing credits released on CD as well.

24. aseriesofsneaks

Liz is releasing it on her own label, Orphic. I’m hoping for day one vinyl, but am willing to double dip and get the CD or lossless download first, if need be.

25. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Good news if true - high time for Liz to do her own thing. I just hope folks are receptive.

Hilarious that this thread has turned into a shoot-out over who is more full of shyte - Liz or Rod Stewart. I know I always lump them together. :wtf: The things music fans find to argue about....

No Bull and pghmusiclover like this.