Is My Turntable Becoming Toast?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Carsell, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Well, you wouldn't be voiding the warranty. ;) Troubleshooting at the component level would be time consuming and frustrating without the right testing equipment and without a service manual. Plus, there's no telling if it IS the electronics, or the motor, or just the adjustment controls that may have gotten dirty and corroded, not making good contact anymore. Capacitors made in the 80s are likely more durable than caps in vintage electronics from the 50s and 60s.

In my one DD turntable, the electronics are actually built into the motor casing, so it takes a little work to get to them (take the motor assembly out, then disassemble the casing). With good used tables available, and some affordable new ones out there, it's probably better to retire it if it's flaky.

2. lynnm

lynnm New Member

Try removing the platter ( assuming it is removable ) and gently cleaning the inner rim with a mild detergent solution and gently wiping the face of any sensors you might find on the deck. I suggest this because some DD TTs used a tape head and a band of iron oxide as part of their speed sensing/control system.

I don't know whether your TT uses this system but it's worth looking into.

3. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

It is always fun to try to fix stuff, yet it may be a good idea to get a new one so you can get back to needle drops without wasting time.
    good luck

4. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

John - I would take comfort from the fact that if you have had 25 years pleasure from your TT and like its sound then another SL-D2 can be picked up for not too much $$$. They have a bit of a reputation as robust bits of design and there are many out there with many more years sterling service still left in them.

There are currently two on that eBay thing in the $20+ region
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64626&item=5715481319&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64448&item=3742505654&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I'm not so convinced that this is a motor issue - if it is going both faster and slower then that seems to point the finger more in the direction of the pitch control. If you are handy around lethal voltages and have a meter then it may be worth opening her up and checking the voltage off the Pitch controller without having any drag on the platter. If the voltage going into the motor is varying then we have our culprit. As others have said before a spray with a good contact cleaner may be all that is required and I have seen a post or two on the Magic Electrical Interweb™ by other SL-D2 owners who had exactly the same problem as you who fixed it with a quick spray.

See the first review here - http://ecoustics.audioreview.com/ps...rces/TurnTables/SL,D2/PRD_121367_1597crx.aspx

If the motor windings were shot then I would probably expect them to warm up - increase resistance and slow the motor down - the longer it has been running the hotter and slower it gets.

All the best - Andrew :cool:

5. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

John, I hate to be cruel here, but I have a 1971 Thorens (el cheap oh, bottom of the line) that still works, I do not use it anymore because my VPI TNT-HR is just a little better. :D
    You have gotten more life out of a direct drive TT than anyone ever should have. It is dead! Get yourself a decent belt drive table. PM me if you want my ancent Thorens, It is yours for $25 and shipping. Believe it or not I still have the original boxes.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

ALP, well, then, count me in as another person who has gotten a long life out of a DD TT!

7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the offer ALP.

But she ain't dead.....yet.

This afternoon, figuring I had nothing to lose I took it apart, cleaned it up and lubed a few different spots including under the pitch control knob, put it back together and I spun vinyl all afternoon without the pitch wavering. Tommorrow who knows, but somtimes it's amazing what a couple of sprays of WD-40 will do.

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Get the speed switch too.
    Told you so.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is encouraging! I'll have to try it when I get a lazy day off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.