Is PCM the same as FLAC?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vignus, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist Thread Starter

I keep reading how good PCM files are. In my network player (Cambridge CXN V2) manual there's no mention about compatibility with this format.

Are FLAC files the same format with a different name or are PCM files a totally different format?

2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Simple answer: No, they are not the same file format but they are both lossless and both should sound the same.

3. uzn007

Longer answer:

PCM stands for "Pulse Code Modulation" and is (one of?) the primary standards for encoding digital audio. It doesn't use any compression and is thus lossless.

Once an audio stream is converted to PCM, it then has to be contained in some sort of file format that is readable by the machine that's going to read it. On Windows this is typically WAV, on Apple this is often AIFF and there are a bunch of other formats as well.

FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is a lossless compression method that is used to compress PCM files so they are somewhat smaller for transmission over the internet (approx. 50% - 60% of the original size, as opposed to lossy compression like MP3 that can result in files 10% of the original or smaller).

Since FLAC is lossless, it means that the uncompressed file is bit-identical to the original source file, so converting a PCM file to FLAC does not alter the sound in any way.

(Edit: This is based on my layman's understanding of it ca. 10-15 years ago. It's probably all more complicated now but the basic principles should remain the same.)

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I haven't checked the manual yet, but the tech specs section of the product page for the CXN (V2) says it supports FLAC

AUDIO FORMATS
    ALAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD (x64), WMA, MP3, AAC, HE AAC, AAC+, OGG Vorbis
    Edit: I just downloaded the manuals. There are two versions of the manual. Standard version and Reference version. The reference version is longer and more detailed and mentions FLAC support. The standard version seems to simplify and skip over those details.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    uzn007 likes this.
  5. uzn007

And PCM would be covered by (at least) WAV and AIFF on that list.

6. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

FLAC is one of many PCM formats. Mp3, mp4, wav, AIFF, etc. are other PCM formats.

DSD is not a PCM format, however.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

FLAC is a container. It uncompresses to WAV.

Rich-n-Roll and DrZhivago like this.
  8. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

9. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

All android phones support FLAC

They are all containers of PCM data apart from DSD, some employ lossy compression (MP3, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, WMA), some lossless compression (FLAC, ALAC), others no compression (WAV, AIFF).
    DSD is not PCM, instead it employs PDM or pulse density modulation to encode digital audio data.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    uzn007 likes this.
  10. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

While we're at it - what are usual containers for DSD? I know that for the most part dsf is used, are there any others? I mean usually when people say FLAC, WAV etc files they refer to PCM coded stream, but is there anything besides dsf for DSD that is widespread?

11. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson MITR

DFF.

Soundslave likes this.
  12. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

FLAC is a PCM compressed file. Lossless. Like .zip, .rar, 7z or any other files compressors. The audio players which run the FLAC formats, decompress the FLAC on-the-fly and run the decompressed PCM.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.