Is Pete Best's "Best of the Beatles" album available on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave112, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been really working hard to build a complete Beatles CD collection for over a year now. I'm wanting something that may not exist although I find it hard to believe that hardcore Beatles fans wouldn't want a copy. Since I'm collecting so many versions of a lot of the same albums, I'm wanting to branch out to the solo works of all of The Beatles. This leads me to Pete Best. I've always wanted to have his work on CD. Has there ever been a release of "Best of The Beatles" on CD? Maybe a great needle drop similar to Dr. Ebbetts? What other Pete Best recordings are available on CD?

2. Dave112

Wow! No comments!

3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Discogs only mentions the LP release.

[​IMG]

And his Wikipedia page Discography:

Singles
    • "I'm Gonna Knock on Your Door" b/w "Why Did I Fall in Love with You" (Decca F 11929, Released: 1964)[141]
    • "Don't Play With Me (Little Girl)" b/w "If You Can't Get Her" (Happening 405, Released: 1965)[141]
    • "If You Can't Get Her" b/w "The Way I Feel About You" (Happening HA1117, Released: 1965)[141]
    • "Kansas City" b/w "Boys" (Cameo 391, Released: 1965)[141]
    • "(I'll Try) Anyway" b/w "I Wanna Be There" (Original Beatles Drummer 800, Released: 1965)[141]
    • "I Can't Do Without You Now" b/w "Keys to My Heart" (Mr. Maestro Records 711, Released: 1965)[141]
    Another "Peter Best" single, "Carousel Of Love"/"Want You" (Capitol 2092) is not by Best, but an Australian performer with the same name.

Albums
    • Best of the Beatles (Savage BM 71, Released: 1965)
      • Includes: "I Need Your Lovin"; "Just Wait and See"; "Casting My Spell"; "Keys to My Heart"; "Why Did You Leave Me Baby?"; "Like My Sister Kate"; "I Can't Do Without You Now"; "I'm Blue"; "Some Other Guy"; "She's Alright"; "Nobody But You"; "Last Night"
    • The Beatle That Time Forgot [Original Version] (Phoenix PB-22, Released: 1981)
      • Includes: "I'm Checking Out Now Baby"; "I'll Try Any Way"; "I Don't Know Why (I Just Do)"; "How'd You Get to Know Her Name"; "She's Not the Only Girl in Town"; "If You Can't Get Her"; "More Than I Need My Self"; "I'll Have Everything Too"; "The Way I feel About You"; "Don't Play With Me (Little Girl)"; "Rock and Roll Music"; "All Aboard"
    • Rebirth (Phoenix PB-44, Released: 1981)
      • Includes: "I Can't Do Without You Now"; "Off the Hook"; "She's Alright"; "I Need Your Lovin'"; "Why Did You Leave Me Baby"; "High School Shimmy"; "I Wanna Be There"; "Everybody"; "Pete's Theme"; "Keys to My Heart"
    • The Beatle That Time Forgot [Reissue] (Phoenix PHX 340, Released: 1982)
      • Includes: "I'll Try Anyway"; "I Don't Know Why I Do (I Just Do)"; "She's Not the Only Girl in Town"; "More Than I Need My Self"; "I'll Have Everything Too"; "I'm Checking Out Now Baby"; "How'd You Get to Know Her Name"; "If You Can't Get Her"; "Rock and Roll Music"
    • Back to the Beat – (1995)
    • The Pete Best Combo: Beyond the Beatles 1964–1966 (1 February 1996)
    • Live at the Adelphi Liverpool 1988 – (23 September 1996)
    • Best (18 August 1998)
    • Casbah Coffee Club 40th Anniversary Limited Edition (1999)
    • The Savage Young Beatles (10 May 2004)
    • Haymans Green – Released 16 September 2008 (US), August 2008 (UK) (The Pete Best Band)

Dave112 likes this.
  4. Dave112

Thanks qwerty. I was hoping that excellent needle drops might be out there. This forum has so many knowledgeable Beatles fans that I figured someone may know of some. I've heard some great bootlegs by following the advice of other forum members.

qwerty likes this.
  5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Afaik The 1996 Pete Best Combo CD on Cherry Red compiles the 1965 Best Of album alongside all their singles. Not sure what sources they use as I don’t own it. But essentially that release offers Best Of... on CD and more, the only thing it misses being that deliciously misleading album title and Hamburg era cover.

Dave112 likes this.
  6. Dave112

Thanks ajsmith!

7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I just looked this up:

The Pete Best Combo - Beyond The Beatles 1964-66

According to Discogs, the U.S. version (on Griffin Music) has bonus tracks not on the Cherry Red UK version, including tracks from Best Of The Beatles.

His discography is more extensive than I thought it was.

By the way...is it true that on the Pete Best Combo songs, he plays drums, but someone else sings?

Dave112 likes this.
  8. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

The CD you linked to on Discogs is the on you want (on Griffin) has it has all the tracks on the Cherry Red CD, but with four additional tracks.

Pete doesn’t sing lead vocals on his albums.

The one single that is not on CD is Kansas City / Boys (Peter Best* - Boys ) although Kansas City i believe is on a Cameo Parkway comp either on CD or MP3. I know I found it on Amazon digital music.

Dave112 likes this.
  9. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Here’s a thread about Pete Best on CD. Of course you have the usual Pete vs. Ringo or Pete is a great drummer vs. Pete is a lousy drummer arguments, but there is some real information buried between the arguments.
    The Pete Best Combo on CD

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    MarkTheShark and Dave112 like this.
  10. Dave112

Thanks Marktheshark! Good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

ajsmith likes this.
  11. Dave112

Thank you MerseyBeatle! I will check that link out.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  12. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

13. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Gotta work on the shadow :)

MerseyBeatle and YpsiGypsy like this.
  14. Dave112

That's cold. I have wondered what would have happened if the record execs had wanted to can one of the other three. Would the others have went for it?

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll bet they would...they were ruthless with one thought and one thought only to be rich and famous...

Dave112 likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's it! you are out of the Ringo fan club! LOL. just kidding...
    I'm sure there are boots out there on the net.

Dave112 likes this.
  17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Does if feature the Atom Beat?

18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

[​IMG]

19. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Laugh of the week - thanks, man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.