Is Qobuz still accepting Paypal?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by mattdm11, Jun 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm trying to buy an album and all of a sudden the only option is credit card. What gives?

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I just had the same problem just a few minutes ago. No more PayPal option for payment.
    This thread on my favorite forum is actually what came up as the top result in a google search about whether Qobuz still accepts PayPal.

The album I am wanting to buy will stay in the Qobuz shopping cart till I can find out what is going on. I prefer paying with PayPal rather than typing in credit card info all the time. I'm lazy.

mattdm11, Dave and eric777 like this.
  3. MartyMcfly3004

MartyMcfly3004 New Member

Ive been getting the same since yesterday. I emailed Qobuz last night but still no reply.

I can see PayPal did some maintenance yesterday so I'm wondering if this has killed the Paypal link on Qobuz's site.

Really unsure about putting my card details into the site in case something malicious is going on. Good to hear other people getting the same thing though.

4. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I haven't purchased anything from them in a while but now that I know this, I won't be getting anything from them anymore unless they get Paypal back.

5. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

6. Dan Mackta

Dan Mackta Well-Known Member

PayPal substantially changed their terms without warning and it became economically unfeasible to continue with them. Their transaction charges are more than 5X what other payment processors get.

ClassicalCD, JasonA and Galley like this.
  7. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yup. Just got that email from them.

8. Ham Sandwich

I didn't realize PayPal merchant fees were so expensive compared to other processors. If they're going to behave like that then they should lose out on business and merchants should switch to other payment processors. Now that I know PayPal is so much more expensive for the merchants I'll start using it less.

A reason that I had been using PayPal express checkout is due to security and trust. When I enter my credit card number and other purchase details at an online shop I have to trust their security to keep my credit card info safe. There have been security breaches at some online retailers that have demonstrated that trust can be misplaced. Using PayPal express checkout meant that my credit card info and other info is only at PayPal and not spread out over a hundred online retailers and having to trust each of those hundred online retailers to keep it secure.

A challenge for online merchants moving away from PayPal express checkout will be in demonstrating trust in managing payment security. I do view Qobuz as competent in software and servers and necessary security. Running and developing a streaming service and download store does mean that you have to know how to do that stuff well. It's mostly the smaller merchants that I worry more about their security.

I did enter my credit card info and buy the album I had in the shopping cart. I'll adapt to not using PayPal express checkout.

Qobuz did do an ID Check that sent a text to my phone to verify the credit card. I'm not sure if the ID Check is new at Qobuz since I've always used the PayPal payment option before. It would seem that Qobuz is taking extra steps to minimize fraudulent CC use to minimize fees. That makes sense too. Minimize fees as much as possible because this online streaming and downloads business is likely low margin.

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I haven’t followed the doings at PayPal but my guess is that the 5% represents their having to absorb the fees charged by AMEX/MC/VISA, then they add in their own fee. It wouldn’t surprise me if they start imposing a fee on buyers that wish to use their own credit card rather than maintain a balance in the PayPal ecosystem.

10. MartyMcfly3004

MartyMcfly3004 New Member

Just got an email from Qobuz:

"Following your feedback regarding the suppression of Paypal as a payment method on our site, Qobuz has decided to reinstate the Paypal payment service in order to meet your needs. Please be aware that we will continue to study alternative methods to keep the costs of our services at the current level, so your suggestions for alternative payment methods are welcome."

I actually don't have a problem using credit card if they are secure, so if this is going to help them out I will do this instead of PayPal. I was more worried about something dodgy going on with the site. But looks like if you want to use PayPal you are going to be able to again.

11. UltraDNS

UltraDNS Staying in Seattle?

Yes, sir. I have been buying my downloads from their digital store with Paypal.

12. Ham Sandwich

Qobuz added the PayPal payment option back after removing it for a few days.
    I've switched over to using a credit card for Qobuz purchases now that I know PayPal is more expensive for them to process compared to the credit cards. Expensive enough that they were willing to experiment with removing the PayPal option to save money and keep their prices where they are. The alternative is that they raise prices for everyone to cover the excess PayPal fees just so a few people can continue to use PayPal.

13. UltraDNS

UltraDNS Staying in Seattle?

I did not know there was a surcharge that qobuz had to cover when PayPal was being used. I'll switch to a standard CC myself since I do like their purchasing options and back catalog of tunes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.