Is Queen the biggest band of all time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

That’s a no for me dog, however I’m in the US and prior to learning it on this site, I would have never imagined that in the UK, Queen is often considered among the most elite rock bands of all time.

seed_drill and danielbravo like this.
  2. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

An excellent frontman, an ingenious guitarist, a fairly decent rhythm section, good songs, great shows ...
    Has all the necessary ingredients but ... other bands also have those ingredients to a sublime degree with different styles. So in my opinion: NO, they are not the greatest of all time.

Timmy84 likes this.
  3. I'm surprised so many people here missed the question BIGGEST band as opposed to best band when they're attempting to offer evidence of superiority of other bands.

Queen has always been hugely popular with joe public. Lowest denominator stuff.

4. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

these days the title of most famous rock band is an honorarium, reflecting being a good rock mascot and symbol, looking good on tv, and being younger than the fabs in public memory.

5. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

This reminds me of Amadeus. After that movie came out there was a huge interest in and celebration of Mozart, primarily by folks who didn't have much knowledge of classical music. Although I was young at the time, I knew about all these other composers - many of whom I rate higher than Mozart - because I grew up in classical music=centric household. But for a few years there in the 80s Mozart was the archetype classical music composer in the mind of the masses.

For the record, I loved Amedeus.

6. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Bigger than Greta van Fleet? No way!

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

[​IMG]

8. fab4ever

fab4ever Forum Resident

9. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I see your point, but the reason I would place Queen above Bon Jovi is because in my observation they are the bigger band, not because they are the better band. As far as BTS goes, you can make a strong case for them as the biggest band right now, but the OP said all time. It's way too soon IMO to start considering a band like BTS for that distinction.

YMC4 likes this.
  10. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

This thread has made me put on "Rock Montreal", so it's not completely useless. :)

danielbravo likes this.
  11. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Please read this list again:

Rank Artist Country Total Streams
    (billions)
    Ref(s)
    1. Drake (CAN) 23.08
    2. Ed Sheeran (UK) 16.76
    3. Eminem (USA) 13.01
    4. Rihanna (BAR) 12.7
    5. The Weeknd (CAN) 12.50
    6. Justin Bieber (CAN) 10.44
    7. Coldplay (UK) 10.17
    8. Ariana Grande (USA) 9.91

Coldplay is the biggest band (especially now), Queen is not even close on the streaming list. And before someone starts complaining Coldplay is just the latest flash in the pan, they are successful since debut album Parachutes, released in 2000, that's almost 20 years ago. Certainly for most millenials and Gen Z, Coldplay is a band that's been around forever (and still very popular, their latest album A Headfull Of Dreams topped almost everywhere the charts, while 2017 single Something Just Like This was a worldwide top 3 hit).

Just sayin'.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  12. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

o_O

I think you meant this the other way around?

Worldwide, I believe the most recent data shows they've now sold more than Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or are certainly in that same air, but they are not even close to The Beatles.

Personally, this "resurgence" has kind of ruined them for me. There is such a thing as overkill, and if the movie weren't bad enough now they are licensing out way too much music at once for use in commercials.

DJ LX likes this.
  13. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

I'm a Who fan, but I'm not sure I'd place them inside the Top 5 bands of all time...

bluesky likes this.
  14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

What’s your opinion? Do you think they are the biggest band of all time now?

16. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

You are forgetting about The Beatles aging fan's children, and the latter's children...

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Even Freddie's death wasn't that big news in America at the time, other than him being the best known HIV casualty. I mean, I remember watching the tribute concert on MTV, but that was about it.

Of course Queen were much more popular elsewhere in the world at the time.

18. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

I
    I'd say The Stones are (and were) way more popular than LZ.

19. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Went out of curiosity to see what Christgau thought of them...um, homophobic much? Won't quote it or link it here (his one line review of Queen II is sort of funny)

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

As a live act and influence wise, I would. But they were not prolific and Pete's concepts too dense for them to be as commercially successful as some of their rivals.

21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

What exactly is a "casual fan" by your definition? Do they actually pay for the music? If they don’t, who cares how many they have?

22. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Is it too late to hold a Poll for the question?

The results would be

99% No.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

As far as America was concerned, after Hot Space they were essentially done. They had the occasional middling top 40 song, but they were no longer a platinum selling act. Some of their albums didn't even go gold.

24. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual.

No. We all now this, so why discuss it?

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

No. Polyphonic Spree had many more members than Queen.
    I think that is a proper answer since the OP has not defined "biggest". Besides, we don't compare artists here.

notesfrom, Jerry and danielbravo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.