Is the surviving interest in rock music largely dependent on its glory days?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lc1995, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logeroni_Pepperoni

Logeroni_Pepperoni Forum Resident

Rock is a surviving genre for three big reasons IMO. It's ability to spread into sub-genres, it's influence on other genres such as metal, pop, etc., how real it was. Now to go into context most artists today that are popular whether talented ,good looking or neither don't right their own songs all the time, more often they steal from other influences from earlier bands therefore more repetition throughout modern music, but looking at any song written by any popular band suchs as Queen, The Beatles, The Doors, Bowie or whoever they almost always write their own songs, introduce something new, and if they do a cover or steal influence they at least try something new, and most importantly the main reason for rocks survival through all these years is well...money. Remasters, special editions, re-releasing the music makes it commercially available again which peaks the interest of younger people and older people who want to collect music or give the new versions or mixs a listen.

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It might have been revolutionary when it was Jayne County or Wendy Carlos. In 2019, it ain't revolutionary.

3. dmiller458

What does that even mean?

4. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Again..where are any examples of rock from 2010 onwards that you do like? If there's none, then have you considered the possibility you are a classic rock fan & not one of new-era rock music.

Methinks someone doth protest too much.

Some members have taken the time to post thoughtful insights on what has been occurring w/music/commercial viability, as well as providing tools they utilize for finding new music they enjoy. Such thoughtful posts by OP seem to be missing; not only not overseeing their thread, but posting incendiary comments instead.

This thread looking likely to be troll bait. :tsk::sigh::rolleyes::disgust:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

But back then they were outliers, forging a new path, and their importance cannot be understated.
    However, the fact that you have so many artists who are singing and writing about their lives, no exaggeration for effect, just being real, presenting as who they are, is something that has never happened before. People like Jayne County and Wendy Carlos helped kick the doors down, but what I see and hear happening now is a brand new thing.

pig bodine, Gaslight and Vangro like this.
  6. dmiller458

They didn't help kick it down. They kicked it down.

7. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Calling 00s rock "classic rock" is quite the stretch, the Killers and Silversun Pickups bear little resemblance to 70s blooze rock.

I'm not sure if this counts as rock, but I do like it.

I've also enjoyed plenty of pop rock songs songs like Maroon 5's "Sugar" and Jonas Brother's "Sucker"

8. dmiller458

lc1995 says he can't find any good new rock since the mid-00s. I say BULL-loney.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  9. dmiller458

Why do you use a disdainful term like blooze rock?

You can't find any good new rock since the mid-00s but you like Sugar? Are you chitting me?

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

OP is twenty-four years old. Not much of a past yet to be stuck in.

lc1995, Nice Marmot and dmiller458 like this.
  11. dmiller458

If he's only 24 and he can't find any good new rock since the mid-00s, he's got his head up his past.

Dflow likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Obergefell v. Hodges was only four years ago. And it barely passed.

I don't understand it either.

13. dmiller458

What do you mean it barely passed? It wasn't vote in the legislature.

14. LilacTeardrop

No one called 00s rock "classic". o_O A remedial course in reading comprehension would seem to be next up.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Supreme Court ruling. My bad if I messed up the terminology but the point stands.

16. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

No good rock since the 00s? Did Nick Cave call it quits?

Bryan Harris and LilacTeardrop like this.
  17. lc1995

You hinted at it when you said that I only like classic rock

18. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Rock music changed my life. One side says it should be so important to all but I also get it's not. I see many sides.

19. LilacTeardrop

I'd suggested the possibility that if you couldn't find any new rock music from 2010 onwards to your liking, to consider you may be a "classic" rock fan, or, perhaps, not a rock fan at all...which is okay - there's lots of music categories, besides what's spoon-fed by the mass media.
    There's been plenty of good new rock music in the last almost-decade. Can be heard on streaming services...just have to put in indie or alternative.
    I've actually tried to help you out here. Good luck...there's plenty to explore & some members here, including myself, have given you tips/tools on how to do so.

In answer to part of Post #1, 2nd quote above, there's this: The Black Keys "Little Black Submarines" 2011. Youtube: 194K views = Not Dead.

20. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

there are a few like the black keys and raconteurs and a few others but have faith styles change and it will shift away from the dreadful hip hop music that seems the dominant style today

21. lc1995

Not a bad song, but 194K from one of the biggest names in rock, for a song that has been out for 8 years, is absolutely dead in my opinion.

Throaway songs from C list rappers get that many views in 2 weeks

@Jmac1979 What do you think about that?

22. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

That description describes it perfectly! I wish I had invented it! :cool:

PRW94 likes this.
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

24. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Twenty eight pages on, where are we again?
    Oh yeah, from the OP, "there isn't any modern rock music (post-2007)which could support ROCK as a recognizable music genre with any noticable social impact".
    quotes and paraphrasing MINE

25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Rock stars have competition in video game/YouTube stars. People like Jon Tron get that many hits in the first hour of a new upload.

Grant and lc1995 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.