DCC Archive Is there a page that...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lbangs, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member Thread Starter

As a poor, poor man who still enjoys great sound (and loves DCC releases), I often know a specific title I am seeking but do not always not what the best release of that title is. Obviously, any title with a DCC disc is a gimmie, but what about titles without DCC versions? Reading the chat on this board helps quite a bit, but is there a page run by a fairly knowledgable chap (or chap-ess) with great ears that helps point towards the best version of titles to buy? For example, a site that discusses the different releases of This Year's Model, Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy, Bookends, and / or Elvis' Sun sessions and points out releases with exceptional sound quality. I have found several sites that provide this service for heavy metal fans, but alas, these only help me a little...

If there is no site, I encourage some great poster here to create one. I'd be your greatest fan.

Of course, heaven would be a Steve Hoffman site, but I understand his policy of commenting on the work of other folks. Besides, I hope he spends his valuable time on better projects! (I'd still love to see Trout Mask Replica, hint, hint :) )

Any known sites or takers?

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Well if you're a poor $$ man, and you don't necessarilly have to have a huge wallet to enjoy the best a CD has to offer, here's a few things... and excuse the simplicity because you may have heard some of this before, I donno:

1. Subcription to ICE magazine might help; you can always go to the site and request a free issue to see if you like it. The CD watchdog is very interesting as it may sometimes expose defects, quirks or problems with reissues and sometimes new titles that come out. It's a passionate little mag-rag.
    1a. Try Goldmine too. Lots of great info, articles and addictive ads for new releases, for imports and vinyl.

2. Seek out and forage though used record stores, and open a serious place in your heart for the forgotten black circle. Vinyl. I've been amazed constantly at what $2.99 has bought, and sounds like. I'll stop there; besides vinyl and playback therein can cost close to nothing, or you can go wonky with it.

3. A lot of things we throw about this board is totally and utterly opinion. I might not like what Ryco did with Elvis Costello, but someone else might (Ryco did a good job, don't worry). Some people might think the Japanese issues of Yes, The Kinks, King Crimson were crap, others might not think so. It's when you find many people who might agree more on one thing, and then you try anyway and find "they" were right, then it MAY give you some buying advantage when you slap your cabbage down on the counter.

However, as a music fan, I would say buy what you crave, and if you find something you think is fabulous (or sucks dirt), say so...here or elsewhere. Don't worry about who disagrees with you, or who you disagree with.

That being said, you might find all and all, your only favorite critic is you.

3. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks, Sckott. I currently do not have a ton of dough, but I did manage to snag a decent system before my financial situation changed (I knew about it in advance). I also have quite sensitive ears, so I am able to notice fidelity (and I do cringe everytime The Beatles sing that final, "I get high," on Beatles One).

I do read Ice, but sadly, for all my equipment, I do not have an LP player. Donations will be accepted at 23 S....

I agree about trusting your own ears and about the difference of opinions where sound is concerned. The beauty of a well-done site like I envision is that much of the info would be helpful regardless of opinion (Does this release use noise reduction? No-Noise? Were the original masters used? etc.).

Thanks for the comments. I may need to save up some and invest in a record player. There are quite a few used record shops around my place, and the prices certainly are right.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.