Is this film stock still sealed; or is it (un)devellopped?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spiny Norman, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman Forum Resident Thread Starter

In between the stuff from a deceased family member, a friend found this can of 35mm film, expiration date 1959. But is this how it's supposed to be sealed?

I myself have only ever used fully develloped positive film. I have no idea if this is...

1. unused negative, long past it's expiration date
    2. exposed, but never developped - I myself have no idea how film is loaded and unloaded from the camera
    3. something totally different, that just happened to re-use this can

So all expert input is welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Spiny Norman

PS The seal is probably intact, though, we just noticed - same numbers on label as on seal:

[​IMG]

3. ed carter

ed carter Forum Resident

It could be anything, and the seal doesn't necessarily mean anything. The only way to find out is to open it up and see. Cans are reused over and over, and may have no relation to the contents.

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

ask @Vidiot just to be certain!

audiomixer likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Kodak 4231 motion picture film was introduced in in 1956, and replaced by 5231 about 10 years later. This is old, old, old film, used a lot for B&W TV shows that shot outside in the 1950s and 1960s. I tend to think a roll like that is probably bad and chemically unstable, but that's me. If it's developed, then take a look at what's there. If the bag is still sealed (or taped shut), then it's undeveloped.

audiomixer, McLover and Shawn like this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Btw open it in the dark to check the bag

fretter and longdist01 like this.
  7. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  8. Spiny Norman

I don't think there were any plans to shoot something new with it. But IF it had been used, then it might have been something interesting, possibly even interesting enough to devellop.
    On the other hand, re-used cans usually sport many layers of crossed-out titles. This one doesn't.
    If this is how negative film would come in the late 1950s, then it seems stupid to open it just to verify that yes it was unexposed film.

So essentially my question is: is this unexposed film stock?

fretter likes this.
  9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Check the bag -- in a dark place!

Vidiot and longdist01 like this.
  10. Spiny Norman

There's a bag inside the can?

Given how the can is taped shut, I'd go with never opened. As a curio paperweight it's probably best to keep the can sealed the way it was.

11. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

It's Schrödinger's film.

12. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

I’m following for new developments.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Should be a thick black paper bag to double-seal the film inside the can. When you say "the can is taped shut," is it Kodak tape with the number of the emulsion on it? The usual industry practice is, if it's a tape only on the can edge, it's factory tape; if it criss-crosses the can (usually with black or red tape), it's exposed. But if amateurs owned the film, it could be anything.

Ghostworld and longdist01 like this.
  14. Spiny Norman

Do I have to be exposed to this kind of thing?

15. Spiny Norman

The first option, based on the last picture. (Right?)

"MIL" (pic 3) might mean "military".

If anyone needs a novelty paperweight for a cameraman, let me know and I'll put you in touch.

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

If can was never opened, can you take it to a local photo shop that has a darkroom facility on-site, so you can safely determine if there is a spool of undeveloped film inside. We can't make you do this, but you still asking for help.

Why not try to check in your local area for a few options perhaps a darkroom space at a photo lab can assist you - if you are still curious about the film can? @Spiny Norman

fretter likes this.
  17. Spiny Norman

We don't need to; because it's pretty clear to us that it's completely unused film. We feel that the rarity value (such as it is) is probably best if it's left sealed.

Also, we think that the film would be useless by now, so it wouldn't even be necessary for us to use a darkroom. (Also also, if we cant to get technical, as far as we know, it's hard to tell if undevelopped film has had exposure or not.)

"Here's something you don't see every day: 35mm film stock from the 1950s, still sealed." sounds better to us than "expired film stock, but we broke the seal anyway, for no reason".

(Since I'm asking it on behalf of the owner I'm actually justified to speak in plural.)

longdist01 likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, you can. There are "short end" and "recanned" film suppliers out there who sell leftover bits of film initially used in bigger productions. They go into a dark room and tear off a bit of film from the head and tail of the roll, then put the film back in the can and seal it. Then they send off the short bits to be processed. If they come back fogged -- that is, exposed to light -- then there's a good chance most of the film is fogged. In some cases, they'll keep going into the roll and see if all of it is fogged, or just the very ends. This was a thing in the 1970s and 1980s.

Dan C and longdist01 like this.
  19. Spiny Norman

Oooh, yes of course.
    I suppose one could even shoot 30 seconds of film to see if it's any good. And still have 19 minutes + left.

20. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

If the film has been exposed, used to shoot something, but not processed, and you process it now, the images are likely to be distorted. The more time that passes between exposing the film and processing it, the greater chance the images are degraded. Distorted color, soft focus, double images, too light, too dark, etc. Film type and how it was stored would impact the result.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is B&W negative (Kodak Plus-X), but the same caveats apply: the latent image on undeveloped negative is very fragile and can disintegrate over time. Ideally, you need to get the exposed film to the lab within 12 hours, certainly no more than 24 hours.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

please keep us informed on what turns out ...I'm very curious.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. Spiny Norman

Well, so far no-one disagreed with my assumption that it hadn't even been opened.
    So there's nothing on the film.

But again, contradict me if I'm wrong!

Someone might still do what vidiot suggested, the recanned film deal.

Michael likes this.
  24. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I bet this is inside. :laugh:

[​IMG]

finslaw and longdist01 like this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I found this interesting...thanks.

longdist01 likes this.