Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul on Craft One-Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeremy B., Mar 1, 2024.

1. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Analog Productions new AT75 series has put a serious damper on my enthusiasm for these releases this year. At $60 (still not exactly cheap) they really are often better than many of these premium releases I’ve purchased.

Strat-Mangler, FashionBoy and hi_watt like this.
  2. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

I received mine earlier today and I've just finished playing it.
    Nothing goes on my TT before it's been through my Okki Nokki One though - and this piece of translucent vinyl had a lot of static and a couple of particles of what could only be paper per side.
    No non-fill, thankfully.
    It sounds like I've never heard Ike and his orchestra sound before.
    Is it worth the $110 plus shipping plus taxes? I don't know. What I do know is that I'm a happy camper, knowing that I have a copy in my possession.
    Also, I sincerely hope I won't have to spend this much on another record in the future. But then, what do I know? :p

3. I ordered mine a few days ago. I'm look forward to enjoy a better listening experience than my OG copy. It's perhaps my favorite soul album of all time.

TheSeldomSeenKid and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The US pressings were crap but the European pressings were outstanding.

VMP is reissueing Black Moses in June (I think). It'll be interesting.

5. Kristian1980

Kristian1980 Forum Resident

As mentioned in the Small batch thread.... didn't realise Hot Buttered Soul "small batch" had a dedicated thread.... am I the only one hearing this????

"I'm quite dissapointed in the Craft Small Batch Hot Buttered Soul. I can't be the only one wondering.... where's the bass? I only have the US 2018 Craft mastered LP by Dave Cooley to compare. I flipped between Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalmistic on both. They cymbals on the Cooley mastering sound crunchy and less detailed, less like cymbals. Where as the Small Batch sounds incredibly clear and lifelike. The soundstange on the small batch is much superior. It's also a very smooth presentation that begs to be turned up. But there is no slam, no bottom end (sorry, I'm not very well versed on the correct terminology as I'm not expert, hopefully my point is coming across). It would have been wonderful if the Grundman mastering has more bottom end and slam! it would have been perfect."

Perhaps Cooley boasted the bass a bit, but I find it hard to believe the mastertapes has such little bass as the Grundman Small Batch.

6. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I have a NM first pressing of this album and there really isn't a ton of bass on the OG. Perhaps it was recorded that way.

WhatDoIKnow and ultron9 like this.
  7. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bass sounds great on my system, but I'm running a pair of subs. The low end isn't crazy even for me, though.

8. Kristian1980

Kristian1980 Forum Resident

Update my info. I recently acquired an ATC C2 Active Subwoofer. The bass is just too tame on the Craft Small Batch, imo.

9. AL01

AL01 Eh?

Do you have any opinions on the DMM pressings for this album?

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No. VMP is releasing a new AAA mastering next month.

AL01 likes this.