IsoAcoustics OREA Isolators

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Audio73, Feb 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audio73

Audio73 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Audio73 likes this.
  3. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I first tried Oreas under my Oppo 205 and was impressed at the improvement in terms of focus and relaxing of the high end. I would describe it as a reduction of "grain" in the sound. With that reduction of grain, I seemed to hear the reverberations/decay of cymbals more naturally, for instance.

When I was testing the Oreas, I started by using the song "London Calling" by the Clash and focusing on the high hat/cymbals in the song and that's where I heard the difference because those elements of the song are crisp and prominent, in my opinion. Though I don't typically use this this song as reference when testing things, I had used it when I was trying Stillpoints 4 or 5 years ago, recalling how I was able to hear differences in the sound.

My 205 sits on a 4 inch maple shelf on a Mapleshade rack so it's not on anything flimsy. Also, I HAD been using Stillpoints Ultra SS under the Oppo, and the Orea sounded more neutral in that it didn't have the tonal shift that I found Stillpoints introduced. I went back and forth taking the Oreas in an out on the same song maybe a dozen times and I found the same positive every time.

I'd recommend giving them a try, starting with a component that you can easily take them in and out of to see if you notice a difference.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

May want to keep in mind that, within the IsoAcoustics product offerings, are the IsoAcoustics 'Pucks'. The pucks are reportedly the Orea's MINUS their fancy, purely cosmetic, outer shells. Sold at HALF the price! Same affect, 1/2 the price. I've got them under my tt and tube amp, next up, the spkrs!

mled, Kray and GyroSE like this.
  6. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I also have ISO-Pucks as well as ISO-Mini Pucks under some of my gear. They do the same job as the Orea’s but at a more affordable price. Highly recommended!

mled likes this.
  7. Helom

Helom Forum member

I believe the standard Isopucks can accommodate 20lbs each. Each Orea model is alleged to provide ideal isolation for a particular range of mass. For example, 12lbs/each is the claimed ideal for the Indigo version, while 6lbs/each is ideal for the Bronze.

I have the standard pucks under my preamp and they work well in keeping the chassis completely vibration free (as far as I can detect). I tried a Delos platform under my turntable and was not impressed, especially for the price. The attached feet were far more rigid than the Isopucks and it was hard to imagine them capable of effective isolation. I'm tempted to try the Orea Indigos for their smaller profile compared to the Isopucks.

8. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

The ISO-Puck Series also have three different weight classes in a similar way- ISO-Puck Mini, ISO-Puck and finally ISO-Puck 76. The ISO-Puck Series and the Orea Series are basically the same products when it comes to the performance. So if you want to try a smaller profile then go for the ISO-Puck Mini’s- I’ve those under my ARC gear and they do a great job.

9. Paddlefoot

Paddlefoot Active Member

i have the mini and the standard iso-pucks under all my gear. its the best isolation product i have ever used. the minis went under my pre-amp and dac, the standard iso-pucks went under Rega turntables and CD Transport. i have them under my subs as well. i will put the stuff under my Magnepan mini maggies soon.

mled and GyroSE like this.
  10. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I started with IsoAcoustics Gaia speaker isolators under my Spendor D7s and notified an improvement in sound quality. I then installed IsoPucks under my Martin-Logan soundbar and enjoyed a similar improvement. I finally added Orea pucks under my Thorens turntable, and that's where I saw the biggest improvement.

In each case, I found the sound a bit sharper in definition and clarity. Everything seemed more sharply focused. It was subtle, but definitely there.

The downside - IsoAcoustics products are pricey. I've isolated the rest of my gear with Herbie's isolation devices, which are far more affordable. I highly recommend experimenting with isolation, as I believe it does improve sound quality.

izeek likes this.
  11. Audio73

Thanks for all the inputs but if you don't hear the vibration or perhaps there is none how does this Isos help compared to the rubber feet that comes with some turntables?

12. Audio73

Basically which is it? Do you really need isolators on a turntable if you get no rattling or vibrations you can hear or can you really hear the difference with them? IsoAcoustics thought I could benefit from the DELOS 1815M1 platform.
    I just do not know if I can justify paying $399 if its going to sound the same as the rubber feet/spikes I now have on the turntable.

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

I wouldn't buy one at the price they're asking. It's really nothing more than a butcher block with blinged-out rubber feet attached. The lacquer on the one I received was a mess. It was completely missing on one corner while other areas had runs and bubbles. Really unacceptable at $400 IMO, and the feet felt less effective than their standard Isopucks.

14. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I just put a set of isoPuck minis under my LS50s the other day, which were previously blu-tacked to some sand-filled speaker stands. The improvement was noticeable. I like 'em.

Audio73 likes this.
  15. Audio73

Thanks for the tip. How was the sound to you? Better then without it?

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

Didn't notice much difference. If anything the bass was a bit weaker. I figured it would benefit the table since the only isolation it had prior was some 1mm thick cork/rubber discs. I'd rather try some Orea Indigo pucks, or something from Symposium, or anything home-made really.

Audio73 likes this.
  17. Zurv

Zurv Well-Known Member

I have them under all my speakers (well.. the Gaia), but i do have the Orea under my tube pre/amp.
    It doesn't sound better.. but i never thought something like that would. I get them to stop problems.
    For the speakers that means disconnecting the speakers from the floor so the sound doesn't bug the neighbors.
    For the tubes, limit microphonics.

I'm not sure they made any diff, but they look better than other options. :D

[​IMG]

18. JM1911

JM1911 Well-Known Member

Zurv, so you did not really hear a difference under the PL EVO? I was planning on adding these to my PL EVO and also adding the GAIA's to my B&W CDM9NT speakers. Seems like before I spend $300 for the Orea for my PL, I could probably get more return on the speaker side?

19. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I tried 4 Iso pucks between my heavy, filled stands and Dynaudio speakers and didn't like the overall effect. The plus was more air, better soundstage, but found it really reduced the bass output to the point they sounded really bright. Moved the pucks under my amp and cd player and they make a bit of difference under the cd, don't notice much under the amp, so am going to take them out and try them under the turntable. They definitely make a difference, but not always a better one.

luckybaer likes this.
  20. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

Did you put 3 or 4 under each?

21. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I have 4 bronze situated under the maple butcher block upon which my Kenwood KD-2070 rests. 4 indigo do the same for my Technics SL-1210GR and the maple butcher block upon which it rests.

I couldn’t tell you if I notice any improvement in sound, but both turntables said they appreciated my efforts.

22. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

4, but only because they came in a set of 8. Kinda meant to try three but haven’t got around to it.

23. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Is there any real difference between an Isopuck and a hockey puck in terms of isolation?

izeek likes this.
  24. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

Thanks. Please report back if you ever test the 3 set up

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  25. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I'm back to 4 under each speaker, between speaker and stand. After removing them previously then retrying, they really do clean things up nicely. I took the spikes off the stands to lower the speaker back to where it should be and that made a big difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.