Isolation bearings - Best bang for the buck?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jeendicott, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently tried out a set of Final Labs Daruma III -2 under my turntable. I really liked the separation I got, so I picked up a couple more sets. I have a question for anyone who has used these or similar devices like Aurios or Symposiums.

I'm planning to try out one set under my DVD player. Where would the other one make the most difference--under my CD player (which presently has a CD burner stacked on top of it) or my tube phono preamp? What differences could I expect either way?

Also, does anyone have tips on placing and balancing the little buggers? It took me a while to get these right under the TT, and I'm still not sure they are perfect.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'd take the CD writer off the CD player.

Typically, most manufacturers of these products recommend starting at the source component. I use an air isolation device from Bright Star Audio.

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I use Aurios under my turntable - I am probably quite fortunate when it comes to setting up these type of device because I can change the position of the major mass components of my turntable to assist in leveling the Aurios.

It is critical to ensure that the surface that the isolation bearings are placed on is as level as a level thing in level sauce with a side portion of leveling. Then ensure that the bearings are aligned so that the center of gravity of the TT is directly above the intersecting center of the bearing triangle (assuming here that you use 3 bearings).

Which of the two elements gains the most potential advantage - depends on how microphonic the phono stage is andhow effective the current CD feet are.

An additional thought - would you be placing the CD player on some type of additional platform with the bearings between this and your current shelf ?

All the best - Andrew :cool:

4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I have Aurios under my TT, CDP, and Tube Pre. In my rig, i gained more from placing them under my TT & CDP than my Tube Pre. They made a huge difference under my CDP. Probably my single best tweak. Me thinks the alignment is fine when all three tops & bottoms are in alignment which takes lotsa time.

Take care,
    Jeffrey

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Having been impressed with "Yee Olde Superball Trick" I think it's time to consider using "real" isolation devices.

Actually, I am thinking of mounting the TT on it's own shelf bolted to the wall....

Interesting thread so far. :)

Geoff, why do you suggest that? I would have thought a heavy object on the CDP would increase stability. Much like that "magic brick" (is that what it was called?) did.

Well.... I think it worked for more inexpensive CDP's..... :sigh:

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Gary, the right sort of object could help. The VPI magic brick attempted to do something more though with stray flux lines. I've heard of folks trying the sand bag idea on top of the CDP for more mass loading.

I am thinking of something on top of my XA777ES - in fact I am considering the matching Bright Star Audio thingy - the Little Rock Reference to go with my Air Mass 3 Reference.

7. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. Based on everyone's comments, I think I'll try the CD player next, even though the preamp would probably be easier. Due to space constraints, the only way I can take the burner off of the CD player would be to reverse the two and put the player on top: something I might try. But doesn't having the burner on top provide frame stabilization?

All components are on a Sanus rack, which is as level as I can imagine anything being. I wasn't thinking of adding an another platform, but maybe a sheet of slate between the two components could lend weight as well as isolation.

I've got the Darumas under the turntable placed in a triangle opposite from the feet, so the six points form a Star of David-like pattern. As I understand the "center of gravity" thing, have you got it right when the component "jiggles" less?

And yes, getting all three tops and bottoms be anything close to aligned takes mucho patience and can easily be thrown off every time you touch it. Guess it's the tweak you gotta keep on tweaking. :)

BTW, the DVD/SACD player sounds fantastic now, but I attribute that less to the feet than to my new Anthem AVM-20 (just installed yesterday :goodie: ) which finally lets me send a non-digitized analog signal to my amp for SACDs and offers lots of processing options for video soundtracks. I can't comment on any change to the picture quality yet--Goodfellas Deluxe looked swell last night, but I need to try out more familiar material to really judge whether the feet make a difference. I was already pretty happy with the picture quality, so it may be hard to tell. Excellent before, excellent after... hmmm.

8. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I would just place weight and no electronics above your CD player. Lots of RFI emitted in that area. A solid maple shelf is good to use between isolation devices and your source as well as providing an additional surface on which to place more isolation devices (if you need them). I've found it works best to place isolation devices directly under the components feet, especially if it has three feet. A wall shelf, particularly the double shelf by Target, works very well as an underlying platform, especially if you have wood floors. Check everything with a level, including bubble levels. IMO VPI bricks work best on top of amp transformers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.