It’s a Dead Man’s Party! The Oingo Boingo Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GunsOfBrixton, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Nothing To Fear LP is done and paid for. I will likely have it by mid-next week. The designs are green with black splatter & yellow with red splatter. But I expect I will briefly hold it back until the Ultravox LP is done a week or two later, just so I can set the pre-order dates for both the same so I don't have to do double duty for those who are going for both.

2. Here’s hoping not. I just don’t understand the mentality of these labels…they won’t put it out themselves but also won’t license it. It’s really absurd.

3. So Scott I know the issues you had with those idiots at Discogs but I was wondering is there any chance that you’re possibly considering doing Danny’s first solo album as a reissue?

GunsOfBrixton likes this.
  4. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

I think this was the last thing posted in regards to more Boingo from Scott

"But regarding going further into the Boingo catalog, I have zero motivation at this point. As mentioned, there are a few possibly superfluous things that had been sent in before the crap started flying, but if U ever send me another clearance on their own my personal hope is it would be something different on the priority list they've got from me"

I believe there was mention of possibly doing the Skeltons in the Closet comp but I'd have to dig thru the comments to confirm.

5. Well that’s too bad. While I’m all for other releases from other artists, I had hoped we would at least get that first solo album; don’t get me wrong the original CD sounds Ok but it could be improved on and, if memory serves me well, there were a couple of stray tracks that could be thrown into the mix. Still, I’m happy we got the first four on CD and (so far) the first two on vinyl.

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I was delighted this morning to see a trailer for THE ELECTRICAL LIFE OF LOUIS WAIN. Mr. Wain, of course, is the English artist famous for his paintings of cats - including what became the cover of the first Oingo Boingo EP.

7. Looks cool. Thanks for bringing this up!

8. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Was that Nick Cave at .53?

Edit- I checked and yes, that was Nick Cave, very cool.

9. dpdeddo

dpdeddo Well-Known Member

Hey there, everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I just discovered the existence of Rubellan Remasters last week whilst checking eBay for Oingo Boingo vinyl, and I've spent the last few days reading up on this thread, ordering from their store and listening to lots of Boingo while waiting (excitedly) for my package to arrive. Well, it got here today and everything is fantastic! Can't wait to get more vinyl from them.

I love the CDs, the bonus tracks, the sound and artwork. (Great work, Scott!) And I'm so happy to have Good For Your Soul on my turntable.

Best,

David

10. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

These reissues really do those Boingo albums justice! You really cannot go wrong with any of the Rubellan releases.

11. Scroopy Noopers

Scroopy Noopers Forum Resident

I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that the Oingo Boingo Former Members band is releasing a new album. Is there more information on this such as when the release is expected and is it a cover album or new material?

12. dpdeddo

I just found this interview here from May18, 2021.

Here's a quote:

Johnny (Vatos): I’m just wired with excitement because we’re working on our new CD. It’s just going to be an amazing CD. We’re doing a double CD of not only all the Boingo hits – it sounds so great and they really represent a band that’s on fire and what people can expect to see in a show. But we’re also doing another CD of our original music. That was per advice from Danny Elfman: “Why don’t you guys write your own stuff?”(laughing) I said alright Danny, I think we’ll do that!

Best,

David

13. Oleo

Oleo Forum Resident

Vatos said they would release the first song “in about 30 days”, but that was 46 days ago. We know that it is a mix of Boingo songs and new compositions by various members of the OBFM band. He has also said that it will be available on vinyl.

14. Scott Davies

Hi David, welcome. I'm happy you have been pleased with the releases. Hoping to be able to show off the Nothing To Fear LP this week (checking on shipping today), and then the Only A Lad re-press in December (which will be available in January).

The wider CD distribution date is this Friday and I've already been requested to send my distributor more stock. And with that, the first pressing is just about gone so this morning I sent in a request for a repress of all four CD's. Since there's a Halloween vibe to Boingo, I think this is the best time of year to get those CD reissues into wider distribution. Happy to hear people are continuing to discover and enjoy them.

15. Scott Davies

Oingo Boingo 'Nothing To Fear' LP unboxing first look video. Pre-order date coming soon:

16. dpdeddo

Scott, those look great! Can't wait to get one.

Best,

David

17. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

My copy of Dead Man's Party won't rip in EAC. I wanted a digital copy so I could make backups, but I'm having issues with sync errors and read errors. The disc is perfectly clean and I've only played it once. Guess my bad luck with CDs continues. Feels like I'm cursed.

18. frozen-beach

Update, was able to get it to rip in Burst mode flawlessly. If anyone ever had issues, it's probably secure mode that's the issue. Sorry to double post, but I wanted to post a work around in case anyone else had issues.

GunsOfBrixton, dpdeddo and longdist01 like this.
  19. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

No problem here...
    Ripped successfully.
    "All tracks accurately ripped.
    No errors occurred."
    EAC 1.5
    Secure Mode...

20. frozen-beach

I'm using 1.3, never updated. The other discs ripped fine. I don't see any bad marks on my discs, I've only played it once since I've been using my turntable more often recently.

21. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Any chance it's a drive problem? Not discounting the possibility of a bum disc, but mine didn't give me any problems via dBpoweramp.

22. frozen-beach

I wouldn't think so, considering the other three ripped perfectly. I don't know, I'm gonna listen to the rip today and make sure it sounds fine.

GunsOfBrixton, Runicen and Jake362 like this.
  23. Scott Davies

I had a very small amount of people (under 10) inform me they had problems with this disc reading or ripping in some players/drives. When I put in for a re-press the other day I mentioned it to the manufacturer wondering if maybe they had to re-do the glass master. They confirmed that they have had reports of very occasional compatibility issues between discs they manufacture that push the max capacity and select drives/players. DMP clocks in at 79 1/2 minutes of an 80 minute maximum. Of the few discs that were sent back to me, they read perfectly on my players. So unfortunately, it seems to be a 'known issue' of discs of this length on certain players.

24. CD Addict

CD Addict Bonus tracks? Yes, please.

Always appreciate it when a single CD release takes full advantage of the available 80 minute capacity! ...I know you're always up to the task Scott in finding extra tracks to challenge our CD players, ripping software, etc.!

25. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

It's Boingo season people. This year we get Scott's discs to soundtrack our pumpkin carving. Play it long 'n' loud.