It’s a Dead Man’s Party! The Oingo Boingo Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GunsOfBrixton, Oct 16, 2020.

1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I still remember buying this LP on release day at MusicPlus+ in Orange, CA. I loved listening to it, but there was something about it that kept it from matching the glory of the early albums for me. I remember hating the rainbow MCA lebel when I got it and the vinyl was cloudy, so I was put off visually haha. But a lot had to do with what you describe above. The production and sound was lacking. It didn't have the separation and punch I remember from the A&M albums.
    I did see the Halloween 1985 show in all it's glory and that was a blast. Favorite tracks are "Hear Somebody Cry" and "Fool's Paradise."

GunsOfBrixton likes this.
  2. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Twas the night before Thanksgiving, and all through the house, not a record was stirring except for

[​IMG]

Boi-ngo (1987)

1. Home Again – 4.5/5
    The streak of great opening songs continues here. This isn’t their best opener, and the closest we’ve come to breaking the streak so far. But this one is very good, with doses of the old-fashioned unpredictability foreboding mixed together.

2. Where Do All My Friends Go - 3/5
    Good album cut. Some great horn sound offset by what I find to be a mildly annoying snap track

3. Elevator Man - 3/5
    I want to like this one more than I do. Again, some nice Boingo horn sound, but driving repetition starts to wear on me after a bit. Sort of like a throwback to So-Lo for me.

4. New Generation 2.5/5
    Fairly interesting song, a bit of the old wit and criti…Oh, hello ranty-chanty, didactic Danny, uh nice to meet you…uh, electronic water, got it…just like a babe, yep…sell me anything, sure. Sooooo, how long do you think you’ll be staying? Oh, ok, back to the song. Cool. That was interesting, and I get the ominous effect he’s going for, but I hope he doesn’t do a whole album where he’s so preachy like this...

5. We Close Our Eyes – 5/5
    If anyone ever surprises me with “Quick, name a great pop-rock song that prominently features an accordion” I totally have the answer. Best song on the album and in the top tier of my favorite Oingo Boingo Songs. Great lyrics. Mark my words, some pop star will eventually cover this song and it will be huge hit.

6. Not My Slave – 4.5/5
    Great song. In the context of the entire Boingo catalog it is truly astonishing for it’s…conventionality. Your mine, but not my slave, not my sister, not my pet. What an utterly…normal approach to a relationship. Seriously, I’m kind of missing the old days where the lyrics would have turned out more like, “you only feel like a slave cuz you know I’m the one, don’t sweat the handcuffs, they’re just there for fun.”

7. My Life - 3/5
    Solid album cut, good music and lyrics, but almost oddly unremarkable.

8. Outrageous 3.5/5
    Jaunty and fun, an enjoyable album cut. Danny really trying out a lot of new sounds on this album.

9. Pain 3/5
    Good song, but for whatever reason I always confuse it with “Elevator Man” when it comes on. If I’m not following the tracks, I have to wait until the lyrics start to remember what song it is. I don’t know if it’s just me, but those two songs sound like they are cut from the same cloth.

Overall Rating: 3/5
    Alright, so not a bad song on the album, really. If consistency made for a great album, this would be their best. The problem is that its just consistently…less interesting than their previous albums. Unlike pretty much every Oingo Boingo album before it, I have a hard time even remembering the songs that aren't my few favorites on the album. And it's not for lack of listening - pretty sure this was the first album of theirs I got, and I definitely listened to it a lot back in the day.

Kind of the inverse of how I thought I wanted to downgrade Dead Man’s Party before I actually gave it a good listen, I really thought I liked this album more than I actually do. Lots of experimenting with different sounds, which I like, but so much of the Oingo Boingo originality is gone. I’m admittedly not much of a mind-reader, so I won’t speculate why, but it seems like the band is just really playing things uncharacteristically safe here on pretty much every front. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of the oomph out of the music. Nice, easy listening and “We Close our Eyes” is a classic, but this is probably the most forgettable album the band made. The production value on this one is better than Dead Man's Party, but still not quite back to level of the first few where it adds a "wow" factor. Like the album itself, good, but safe.

Lyrical highlight

I looked Death in the face last night
    I saw him in a mirror
    And he simply smiled
    He told me not to worry
    He told me just to take my time

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

3. GunsOfBrixton

Made my day! This is some awesome stuff, really glad you shared it!

Unknown Delight likes this.
  4. GunsOfBrixton

Ah! I think you just filled in a bunch of my memories about buying albums that weren't from Tower. I completely forgot about Music+ til now!

yesstiles likes this.
  5. GunsOfBrixton

I do agree with Alive! as a great comp for someone to start with Oingo Boingo. My only concern is sending people down the rabbit hole of finding a good copy. The vinyl is a huge investment to get in really good condition, and when I wanted to replace my scratched up CD (played it a lot) I don't think I've ever had a harder time finding a good copy of an album. People selling only one of the discs (likely not realizing it's a two disc set), no slipcover, beat to heck (seriously, there are standards for what NM means) - what a pain that was. And maybe it's different in SoCal, where a lot of used copies live, but it's not cheap to pick up even on CD.

theholygoof likes this.
  6. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Interesting to hear original vinyl copies of 'Boingo Alive' are hard to find in excellent shape.
    I bought my original double album pressing for $8 brand new, sealed, and unwanted in a Boston area record store in 1992/1993.
    I have played it a lot over the years, but it's still in like new condition and still in the shrink wrap.
    Love that album.
    I have the official cassette tape release of it , too.
    Much use...but I take care of my stuff!

:)

Getting back on topic....
    'Boi-Ngo'.

I've always liked this album.
    Another LP I bought brand new, sealed, and unwanted in 1994 or so for $2.
    Also have the cassette tape...like new...bought around the same time.

I was listening to it again a couple of days ago.
    What stood out was being reminded of all the great horn arrangements present in some of these songs.
    One moment in particular....where it's just the horn assemble...I love that moment.
    Can't remember which tune ...but it a short musical break and it's just Dale, Leon, and Sam tooting away to Vatos' beat.

The other thing that hit me was I cant help but wonder if there was a mistake in cutting the discs for this album.
    I have always felt that side 2 should have been side 1, and vise versa.
    Opening the album with 'We Close Our Eyes' and then followed by 'Not My Salve' would have been a epic two track opening punch.
    Both are real standouts on this album, followed up by 'Elevator Man'.
    While I really do like 'Home Again', i still feel as I did then that the album should have opened with the side 2 track list.

That being said, another part of the appeal of this album is the cover photo.
    How can one not be intrigued by Danny's partially hidden face with those 'sinister' eyes, while the rest of the guys make for a bemused collage of portraits?
    Love it.

-

7. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Ok, so here begins the upward climb after I talked smack on the last few platters (at least, as much as I do anything Oingo Boingo related!).

When I first got into the Boingo discography, I remember not being over the moon about Dead Man's Party, but REALLY disappointed with Boi-ngo. See, where DMP had catchy singles, I really felt that its sequel didn't have much of anything to recommend it. Having lived with both, I've arrived at my previous views on DMP (basically, good singles but not much of an album as a whole) and, at the same time, I've come to really appreciate Boi-ngo as a bit of a sleeper hit. No major ANTHEM tracks, but it's a really solid album more in line with their earlier material.

In fact, I'd actually say that this album feels like a proper synthesis of the more mainstream inclinations of DMP and the sonic darkness and mystery of the first three albums. The blend really seems to have been perfected here and, as with the Nothing to Fear sleeve being all odd shadows and atmosphere (reflecting rather well the catchy, but somehow menacing and edgy music within), we've got a sleeve that kind of begs questions and creates a mood which the album then delivers on. The main question is, "What the hell did Danny do that he looks so mischievously pleased with!?"

I'll avoid the numerical ratings, because I'm rubbish at those, but it seems worth going track-by-track for this album. If nothing else, it's a change of pace.

1. Home Again
    Funny enough, I think this is one of the weaker tracks on the album and, as an opener, it probably influenced my early dislike of this collection as a whole. It's not BAD, but it's kind of an "end of side 1" track or "middle of side 2" track. It's not quite ballsy enough to kick in the door and not weird enough to be a mission statement of "check your expectations at the door."

2. Where Do All My Friends Go
    When I first heard this on the Anthology set, it was another track that put me off. Granted, my taste for anything vocal-driven with acapella passages has grown over time, so that's got a fair bit to do with it. In some ways, I half wonder if swapping this with "Home Again" would have done more to establish a mission statement for an album that's more down-beat than its predecessor. Maybe that's a bridge too far though. It's a nice change to the formula which still manages to sound very "Boingo" in the process.

3. Elevator Man
    This is a very good example of something that sounds very of a piece with pop music of the time while being an example of that kind of pop which only Boingo could have done. It's an ear worm and has really grown with me over time. If I find myself randomly singing "Who's going down..." in my head, I'm not annoyed by it and tend to enthusiastically embrace it. If that's not a gold star, I'm not sure what is!

4. New Generation
    This is a song which never left a strong impression on me. Again, not offensive, but nothing compelling. The best I can say here is that the guitar here is pretty wild stuff and rather unconventional - particularly in the verses. It's the kind of stuff that makes me say that Steve Bartek is one of the most underrated guitarists going. He could wail and shred if he wanted to, but it's just as likely he'll add sonic seasoning to things instead of jumping in and screaming, "BEHOLD, THE GUITARIST!"

5. We Close Our Eyes
    I used to find the positivity of this song kind of cloying. Apparently, as you get older, you start looking at depressing music differently. "Yeah, I get it. Life sucks. I'm aware. Water is also wet the last time I checked." XD As things stand now, it's a bit of a sugary concoction, but we need those from time to time, don't we?

6. Not My Slave
    There's no shortage of relationship songs and not many speak to me on any deep level. I sort of view this as Danny's personal relationship set to music and I can deal with it in much the same way I can deal with George Harrison (I know, sorry) singing about God or something. It's his trip, he sounds happy with it, and the song is musically compelling. What's not to like?

7. My Life
    I really can't say why, but every time I spin this album, I really LOVE this song. Maybe it's the chorus, maybe it's the way Danny sings it... No idea. I just really like this song for some completely unqualifiable reason.

8. Outrageous
    Nothing much to say here. Kind of a hold-over of what I wasn't crazy about with Dead Man's Party. A big part of what puts me off is the use of the horns in a way that's indistinguishable from some keyboard player just stabbing chords on a synth (may well be where the horns are coming from, for all I know). The Boingo horn section is usually more imaginatively used than this. I don't hate it, but I definitely don't love it. Very much filler.

9. Pain
    The only bad things I can say about this track are that it feels like a hold over from So-Lo and that it's a very odd note on which to close the album. It's another ear worm where it almost seems like it's going to be off-putting with how hard it hits from the opening percussion, but it somehow just endears itself as it goes. Where it probably differentiates itself from how it would have sounded on So-Lo is that the guitars and horns are produced to have some serious balls to them. On So-Lo, I would expect the rough edges would be smoothed away a bit. This may be a song that's good because the production is good in that sense. I have to wonder if a less punchy mix would have left it hanging. Oh yeah, and I love that bizarre little fiddle solo in the middle. Mutant pop served up by Boingo. What's not to like?

In the final reckoning, I think the weakness of this album, if we're going to put it under the microscope, is that it probably could have done with a different sequence. At the end of the day though, I'd say it still works as-is. I just question if the material would have come across more strongly if it had been sequenced differently.

So yeah, moodier than its predecessor. All the same, isn't that what Oingo Boingo does best?

8. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I've never consciously thought about it, but you're right - those A&M albums have a punch to them that the MCAs don't.

I think the biggest reason I prefer the A&M albums is still that the music itself was just not as bold or unique on the MCA albums, but that lack of punch also must have something to do with it.

9. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

BOI-NGO.

This one feels a bit plastic. Maybe it's the overbearing production, but something about this record just keeps me at a distance. Several songs I like on here. "We Close Our Eyes" pushes towards being too saccharine, but the great lyrics about looking death in the face prevent it from going over the hill to Candy Land. People seem to be apathetic about "New Generation", I think it's a cool more rocking throwback to their early days. More processed, but Bartek has several interesting guitar moments, he's really inventive here. Danny sounds a bit upset! "Home Again" is a cool opener, but yeah it's the weakest one yet.

I really like "My Life" too, think it's a great deep cut. This is a consistent album, but doesn't reach greatness as much as the others.

10. no.nine

Since we're now into Boi-ngo, I'll just say that my opinion is on par with So-Lo and DMP: Good, but not great.

Favorite songs are "Home Again", "New Generation" & "Pain". The one song I don't particularly care for here is "We Close Our Eyes".

I have to say that, outside of spot checks (which I found disappointing), after this one I lost any real motivation to keep up with their future output. With the exception of Boingo Alive, for which I'll have a few choice words when we get to it.

GunsOfBrixton and Runicen like this.
  11. Unknown Delight

Reading a couple thoughts above, I am reminded of something else I really enjoy when playing 'Boi-ngo' -

The gleefully erratic violin / fiddle playing segments during 'Pain'.
    I have always wondered who played this on the album.
    Is it a real fiddle, or just a sythesised sound?

I've known for some time that Danny used to play violin back in the 'Mystic Knights' days.
    There are several early photographs from that time period where he is happily brandishing it.
    Did he perhaps whip one out for a quick jaunt during 'Pain', or have I just been fooling myself all these years and it's just a synth playing the sequence.

Regardless of the truth, when I hear that tune...EVERY time I hear that tune....I always see Danny playing his violin / fiddle in my mind.

-

GunsOfBrixton and Runicen like this.
  12. Unknown Delight

Agree.
    The A&M releases have a sharp edge for sure.

Just tonight I was listening to some of my Boingo LPs and played some of the earlier material.
    When I switched to the later years MCA pressings, there was indeed quite a difference.

Part of the reason may be the production and various producers they used in those earlier albums.
    The later ones seem to mostly be produced by Danny, Steve, or Boingo as a whole.
    Perhaps the band decided they preferred the 'MCA era sound' over the harder edge the earlier material had.

Having listened to that earlier material just a hour or so ago, it's fresh in my head.
    Man, they did some far out stuff back then...and I love it all.

:)

-

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Man I haven't listened to Boi-ngo in 30 years. Not a big fan of it if I recall. Binged on it big time during release year though. I even have the 45rpm box where every song is on a separate record.

14. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Yeah. Truly beautiful. It meant quite a lot to me at the time. I was in the throes of excess, and I honestly wasn't sure that I would make it.

This album was part of a soundtrack to my early relationship with my (now) wife. Moves me, to this day.

15. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

It's funny cuz that's my 2nd fave song from the album after "Not My Slave" (and I see 2 other people in this thread also liked it.) Also worth mentioning is the special 5 x 7" vinyl box set of the album which came with one bonus song "Mama" Oingo Boingo - Boi-Ngo . They re-recorded that song on their Boingo Alive album but it's the only place to find the original studio version.

Runicen and GunsOfBrixton like this.
  16. no.nine

Make that 3. After I posted, I remembered that "My Life" is also a favorite from the album. I just didn't bother to edit the post. But now you made me say it. :winkgrin:

GunsOfBrixton and MarilynsPickle like this.
  17. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I think Boi-ngo is a pretty solid album. "We Close Our Eyes" was a great single, and I also love the cover by Susanna Hoffs for the 1992 Buffy The Vampire Slayer soundtrack.

18. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Is the CD an official release? I don't think I've ever seen OB EP on cd....I want it, lol.

19. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

The take of My Life on Boingo Alive is my go-to version. Like much of the material included, they fleshed out the arrangements a bit, even adding extra little hooks and whatnot. That album will always be a favorite of mine...

20. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

I was one of those who grew up on Alive and didn’t hear this until years later. As such, the versions on Alive sound beefier and have more energy than the studio. Still, I think Boi-ngo is a great album based on the strength of the songs.

Home Again: A little thin sounding, great horns and guitar work. Has a great arc that keeps things moving forward and interesting. 3.5/5

Where do all my friends go: forgettable. To other’s points: feels out of place, kind of a let down after a good start. Demerit for the yodeling. 2.5/5

Elevator Man: This was one of my favorites growing up on Alive, still scratches the itch here, but again, just not as meaty and lacks the energy. Still, 4/5

New Generation: a little too repetitious and is stuck in neutral even though the horns suggest it’s about to take off. Agree the guitar work in he “Do you feel the power” verse and the frenetic energy at the end is pretty cool. 3/5

all in all, a rather disappointing first side, but side two offers redemption.

We Close Our Eyes: yet another that’s better served on Alive, the accordion and meandering pace takes zaps the emotion, but such a great track it can’t be stopped. Agree about the great Susannah Hoffs cover! 4.5/5

Not My Slave: probably my favorite track on Alive, still satisfies fully here, with plenty going on and that forward driving motion that gives it energy. 4.5/5

My Life: Terrific track. Slinky cool. 5/5

Outrageous: solid track feels a little like a proto-version of “Try to Believe” or the theme on any number of movie soundtracks about escaped monkeys or kooky pets. 3.5/5

Pain: dark and plodding in a good way, makes me want to stomp around, never a bad thing. horns are great and the violins are a nice touch, adds some tension. 4/5

overall, an album I could recommend due to well crafted songs, but many undermined from a lack of energy compared to Alive versions, but again, I was raised on Alive. 3.5/5

Runicen and GunsOfBrixton like this.
  21. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

Funny coincidence. I just saw The Fisher King by Terry Gilliam on Showtime. Guess what CD is sitting in the rack at Jeff Bridge's apartment at the beginning of the movie? You guessed it, BOI-NGO. You don't see the front, only the back. But the CD has a very distinctive back with the green woosh, yellow barcode, and song titles aligned to the left.

Check it out. Start at 40 seconds in and look at the disc on the right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  22. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

LOL, that's funny cuz I always pay attention when I see a record store or a someone's music collection in a movie, and have to pause and figure out what titles I recognize. I remember there's a scene in Madonna's movie "Who's That Girl" where she shoplifts some cassettes from the mall and if you pause to read the titles, one of them is an Oingo Boingo cassette. Haha!

23. GunsOfBrixton

That's a great investment on top of great music! I wish I had been into vinyl back then. These days, a NM copy could set you back about $80-100 on the bay or on Discogs - when you can find them (and they are actually NM). I've never even seen a used copy of any Boingo - CD or vinyl - in a record store here in NC.

All of my Boingo vinyl (purchased used in the past five years or so) is in pristine shape, with the exception of my Boingo Alive record 1. It has a scuff on it that most people wouldn't even notice, but it's kind of been a white whale for me to find a truly NM copy.

Unknown Delight likes this.
  24. GunsOfBrixton

I continue to appreciate your differing takes :righton:

Runicen likes this.
  25. GunsOfBrixton

I didn't even know that 45 box existed! If you have a chance to drop a picture in the thread for historical value, that would be awesome!